tips for a phone interview?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_G, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I have a phone interview kind of thing tomorrow. I've done plenty of face to face, but I'm concerned about the phone thing..
    the job is kind of a square peg, and I'm one in a million that have the background they'd like, so I'm confident, but wary of moving long distance to a new town and state.. but I'm looking for a 5k+ annual raise, of course that goes along with higher living expenses once there too [​IMG]

soooo besides the usual interview tips, any tips for a phone interview? I have no idea if they'd fly me out for a face to face if interested, we didn't cross that bridge.

2. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

They scare me too. Sound confident and don't stutter. The nice thing is that you don't have to worry about eye contact.

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I can do that, I BS people on the phone all day [​IMG]
    it's a BIG chance and we're talking maybe a 15k/year raise. Soooooooo it's a HUGE HUGE HUGE opportunity for me to make an impression and get a foot in the door

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hope they call you! I had a supposedly phone interview right out of college and they never called. Didn't think it was worthwhile to call them back because I really wasn't interested in the job anyway but failing to meet their responsibility is probably a good sign that it isn't the best place to work for.

Being a phone interview, you can probably getaway with a little crib sheet for questions to ask them, etc. etc. I always seem to forget to ask at least one question during interviews.

Jay

5. Yumi

Yumi Stunt Coordinator

[SIZE=no]It just depends on how much you like the job!
    The more you like it, the more desire you will have to get the job.And when you are so eager to get it.You will assemble all your potential to meet this interview.
    Then£¬well , you will know you can get it!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Good luck!
    Blessing from Beijing, China.[/SIZE]

6. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

I like not having to dress up for phone interviews. [​IMG] Jay is right, have a little crib sheet with questions for your potential employer and some answers to questions you anticipate they might ask you. Beyond that, it's all confidence. Good luck!

7. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    Take notes, such as the persons name, etc., so you can call them by name during the interview. Write down answers. Don't interrupt them.

And remember, smile. You can hear a smile over the phone.

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

it'll be a conference call with two, maybe three people.
    I have a few general questions to ask, some specific to the job, some I always ask. I'm fond of "what do you like best about working at company XX" you find out interesting things [​IMG] the last interview after she spent 10 minutes telling me how great the company was I asked her that, only to find she was brand new [​IMG]

I'm not sure if they're going to want to do a face to face after this or not. That opens a whole can of worms

9. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

This is something that you should try not to do whether in a phone interview OR in person... Try and not studder or go Ummmmm like you are having to think really hard about something a pause on the phone is not a bad thing.

The advice about having a Questions and Answer sheet is a great idea and something that you cannot do while in a one on one interview just make sure that you can paraphrase your written answers so it doesnt just "sound" like you are reading from something.

Be confident without being cocky. This will depend on your voice and how you can come across to others and if you can help it have a strong voice on the phone not mousy.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

KyleS

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'm also fretting over how much to ask for, the range they're offering is fairly generous, but I'm still thinking I should ask for the top end of the range and then accept anything they offer lol

11. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Never ever EVER, during a phone interview, use the bathroom.

12. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

LoL
    thanks for the tip, I avoided it.
    it was nice to be able to sip some water while on the phone though, always get dry mouth at interviews.

Overall I feel it went VERY VERY well, I think that their operation fits very well with what I look for and like in an employer.

13. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

If you stand up while talking on the phone, it's supposed to make your voice sound better (more confident or the like).

14. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

interesting, I didn't know that.
    I pace around when I'm on the phone, it's a weird habit.