What's new

Tips and tricks for the 4ES (including finding Firmware version!) (1 Viewer)

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
The following tricks are for the Sony STR-DA4ES, STR-DA7ES, and STR-VA333ES. The receiver must be turned off before starting each one (unless noted):

Demonstration mode:
Hold Setup and press Power (button labelled "I/O"). Note: this also resets all of your settings just like a memory reset.

Memory reset:
hold down Power button for five seconds until message appears. confirm by pressing Enter.

Flourescent Tube indicator test mode:
Hold Display and Enter and press Power. Press Dimmer. All segments light up, then each lights in turn.

Tuner Factory reset:
Hold Setup and Dimmer and press Power. All tuner presets are cleared.

SoundField Clear mode:
Hold Mode+ and press Power. All soundfield parameters are reset to default.

AM channel step size 9 or 10 kHz:
Moving to from North America to Europe or vice-versa? Importing a foreign version of the receiver? Then you need to do this: Set function to AM and turn off power. Hold Tuning+ and press Power. Select desired step size.

Display Firmware version and Model number:
One of the most wanted tricks of all. Hold Surround and Enter then press Power. "Menu Specialized" is displayed. Press > to display model number, region code, and firmware version. The display is formatted like this: "D4ES U_CA VX.XX" where X.XX is the firmware version, U_CA is the destination code (USA and Canada).

To display the firmware version and model number on the 3ES or 5ES, the steps are a little different: Turn on the power. Press the Enter and Surround buttons simultaneously. "Menu Expand" is displayed. Press > repeatedly to display the model and firmware version. The output is formatted similarly to the 4ES one above.

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Ok,

Now for the million dollar question??

How did you figure this out???

Could you have a service manual???

Is there any decent way to get a service manual??

Alex

(Thanks for the info!)

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
Could you have a service manual???

Is there any decent way to get a service manual??
I do. There is.
You can either contact Sony at:

Sony Electronics Inc.
World Repair Parts Center
8281 N.W. 107th
Terrace Kansas City, MO 64153 USA
(800) 488-7669

...and purchase one for about $20-$25 plus shipping, etc., or obtain it online for less. I got a pdf version (quite genuine, not a scanned paper copy or anything) from a guy on eBay. Their website is http://www.servicemanuals.com.ar/ and there is a link to their eBay store from there. Just e-mail and ask for what you want. I paid only $6. Honestly, I don't know whether this business is legit, i.e. whether they pay Sony for their copyrighted material, or whether they are just re-selling for pure profit.

There are other online sources as well, including this one which asks for a charitable donation to 'human rights' instead of actual payment, and this dubious-looking place. The latter offers a 30-day free trial, but to get it, you need to install their software, which generates a key that you use to download the files, and which is used to view the files. Hmm. Not for me. Note that I have not done business with either one of those places; I merely found them using search engines.

You could also try Link Removed but they don't list the service manuals if you search by model number (e.g. strda4es). Enter the part number: 9-874-082-01 for the 4ES/7ES service manual. (9-873-271-02 for 3ES/5ES).

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron,

Thanks...the link to servicemanuals.com.ar doesnt seem to work? Do you have the email address?

Alex

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron,

Tried the link at work and at home, cant get there? I did get to the Ebay store link. No pdf download that I could see, but you can buy over snail mail.

Thanks
Alex

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
For others who might be interested in finding if there are any similar 'tricks' for their equipment, consider searching and or posting in USENET under one of the audio groups.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks