Tip: How to be cheap...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by NickSo, Dec 26, 2003.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Since today was my last day of having a McJob (haven't started looking for a new one yet.. im not in dire need of money fortunately so i can afford having time off), Ive gotta start saving money again.

Today, I did something incredibly cheap...

How to be cheap, Tip:
    When going to McDonalds to have a meal, ask for a large cup of water (in additon to your meal, or if you're really cheap, water as a drink).
    Later in the day when you get thirsty, just drop by any McDonalds, and ask for a free refill [​IMG]
    Now McD's has Fruitopia... Ive always found fruitopia to be a bit on the too-sweet side. TO be even cheaper, dilute it with water as you drink.

This morning i went to McDs for a quick breakfast before going to work at the mall FOR BOXING DAY (7am-3:30pm helping some of the stupidest people on earth), my meal had a coffee, but i was also really thirsty, so i asked for a cup of water.
    Later on the day, i was driving to look for some boxing day deals, i got thirsty. I saw my McD's cup lying on the seat... There was a McD's nearby... and you get the idea... [​IMG]

What are your money-saving penny-pinching scrooge-like schemes you do on occasion? [​IMG]

2. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

So, you quit you your McJob, eh? I worked there for about four months from Dec last year to March this year. Couldn't stand it. How did you like (or lack thereof) it?

Money saving tips... bumming from my parents, buying small drinks and refilling them countless times (works best when the refill station isn't behind the counter)...

3. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Shouldn't the title of this thread be one for the following?

"How to STEAL a drink from McDonalds"

Or

"How to throw away your personal integrity for as little as a buck and change."

Sorry I just don't find anything amusing about theft.

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

and thus begins this threads descent into an argument over stealing.

5. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

It's not really an argument; I don't think there's any way to argue that it's not stealing.

6. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

How do you steal water? Whenever I get a big cup of water from the food court at my university, I'm charged 25 cents the first time, and I get free refills. The 25 cents is for the cup.

7. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

McDonalds and just about every other fast food restaurant does not charge for water. So first, you're getting the cup free. Then Nick isn't refilling it with water, he's refilling it with a Fruit drink that he didn't pay for. Also, I'm not sure how they work in Canada but in the US you can only use a cup for refills PER VISIT so if he leaves and comes back several hours later, or goes to another McD's then he is not allowed free refills regardless of whether he paid for it hours or days earlier. Stealing plain and simple Nick. [​IMG]

8. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    By the letter of the law you could say it's theft by fraud.

9. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Stealing water?

Lots of times I go to a restaurant, order the food, and ask for ice water instead of a coke. I'm always given the ice water, and never charged for it. Now, if I'm in a restaurant where they give you a glass, and I take it over to the fountain and put coke in it instead of water, then that would be stealing. But I don't do that.

10. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Ramen noodles, Food Lion burritos four/$1 with MVP card, buy bottled water then refill it from the tap or water fountains between classes, $.25 wings on Monday nights, drive less/bike or walk more, catch the matinee viewing times, etc. etc...

11. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Hmmm....reading it again maybe he was talking about water? :b Do they really charge you for it?

12. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

No, he wasn't. Read it again. If you were just getting water you wouldn't need to bring a cup, or ask for a refill. You would just ask for water and they would give it to you.

13. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Well, that is what I thought at first too. But then I rememebered that a McD's here charged me for water one morning...I decided not to get it and thought that the lady had just made a mistake in charging me. Maybe McDonalds is now charging for water everywhere? So he could have brought in his old cup and asked for a refill of water. The more I think about it, I'm pretty sure the fruitopia that he mentioned is sold in bottles so he couldn't just get a refill of that at the fountain. And then he mentioned coffee WITH a cup of water...nothing about refilling the coffee cup. I think I'll wait until Nick writes back about what he is getting a refill of.

14. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

A way of getting coffee and water, and refills with water.

Our little Nicky wouldn't steal. [​IMG]

~T

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

At the movie theater I work in, we sell these $10 and $25 gift books (the $10 one has a coupon for 1 free small popcorn and $10 worth of "Clearview Cash"; the $25 one has one free admission for a movie and $25 in "Clearview Cash"). We found out a way to get an infinite number of popcorns and free tickets for free.

1. Buy a $25 gift book.
    2. Use the $25 in "CC" to buy tickets for movies (usually 2 adult and 2 child tickets costs $25).
    3. Refund said tickets for cash.
    4. Using the $25 you now have, add $25 more and buy 5 $10 gift books.
    5. Use the $50 in "CC" to buy tickets and refund them as before.
    6. Now you have a free admission to a movie, 5 small popcorns, and $50 in cash.

16. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

I think he's probably given up since most everyone has shit in his thread and gone way OT. [​IMG]

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Many fast food places give you a cup that is not one of their normal sizes (like a generic Dixie paper cup), thus delineating a cup for water over a cup for soft drinks. That would tell the store employees that a person using a generic paper cup and filling it with soft drink is stealing from that store.

It's one thing is to be cheap, but it's another to steal. Let's stick with the cheapness techniques if you have them.

18. Scott L

Scott L Producer

- Keeping the RPMs under 2.5k on the tachometer
    - knock-off brand toiletries
    - $1 menu
    - Keeping a big coin cointainer in the car
    - buying electronics/computer parts on ebay or in forums
    - when going out get an appetizer/soup rather than an entree, then eat the leftovers of friends [​IMG] uber cheap!
    - no girlfriend (cheapness is now my excuse)

19. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Hobos in the old days would get a free glass of water, and empty those free packets of ketchup into it to make free tomato juice. Add some free pepper to taste. Is the term "hobos" PC these days?

20. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Well, maybe, but, ah...NO.

In the "old days" there weren't packets of ketchup. Just bottles. So, you went into a cafe and asked for a cup of hot water, added ketchup, salt and pepper. And enjoyed your free tomato soup.