Tiny Mighty II Review

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by MuneebM, Feb 16, 2004.

1. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

I picked up the Dayton Loudspeakers 10" down-firing subwoofer this weekend as a friend's birthday gift. First thing I did was compare it to my HSU STF-2, and my first impression was that the HSU blows it out of the water, not even a fair comparo. However, with further investigation and experimentation I have drawn new conclusions. First of all, the Dayton has its port on the front, so placing the sub facing forwards is not a good idea, which is what I did at first and found that my rear-ported HSU in the same corner had much cleaner, louder, and tighter bass. I then turned the Dayton around, put its port about 1.5 feet from the wall, and the bass was much, much better. Didn't test it much at that point because my family was sleeping 2 floors up.

Now before I continue, I'd like to mention that I've recently calibrated my HSU STF-2 to 87 dB using DVE, all other speakers to 75 dB. I've also played around with the xo and found that I get much cleaner bass when I enable the xo on the HSU, turn it to the max (90 Hz), and set my receiver's xo to 80 Hz. With all these settings in place, I've been very happy with the sofa-rumbling results of my HSU... until I made the mistake of throwing the Dayton into the mix today...

I placed the Dayton in the right corner of my 13' (w) X 23' (l) X 8' (h) carpeted concrete basement, turned it around so its port is firing 1.5' from the wall. The HSU was in its regular place (left corner), facing forward, port at the back firing 2.5' from the wall. I calibrated each sub individually to 87 dB using DVE (gain on HSU was at 12 o'clock to achieve 87 dB, gain on Dayton was at 11 o'clock to achieve 87 dB). Both subs are down-firing, the HSU goes down to 17-18 Hz, I believe the Dayton goes down to 25 Hz. I played LOTR: FotR Extended Edition DTS-ES with (1) HSU alone, (2) Dayton alone, (3) HSU + Dayton. Here are my results (first battle scene in which Sauron is defeated):
    (1) HSU alone: very clean, tight bass. Sofa rumbled slightly when Sauron is defeated and there's this huge sweep that destroys all the orcs. Rumbles increased as I moved the HSU slightly more into the corner, about 1' from the wall.
    (2) Dayton alone: clean, tight bass, with some noticeable distortion. Sofa rumbled more with the Dayton than it did with the HSU, but I must admit that the HSU had cleaner bass, but not significantly cleaner. Hard to say if the right corner may be a better spot, considering the HSU is in the left corner, but the Dayton was tough competition, especially considering its price point. The Dayton really impressed me, and I'm worried I may have gotten one of the bad batches of the HSU STF-2 subs (as per HSU forums).
    (3) HSU + Dayton: wow! These 2 subs go suprisingly well together. Even though one is in the left corner (HSU) and the other in the right (Dayton), bass is not localizable at all, and sounds very, very good. Tight, clean bass, and the sofa rumbles like I've never felt it rumble before, even 12-13' away! The fact that I calibrated each to 87 dB might be the reason they are sounding so damn good together! The HSU provides tight, clean bass that goes down to 17 Hz, while the Dayton provides tight bass down to 25 Hz. The combination is completely non-boomy, couch-rumbling, wall shaking LFE!

Now, I am definitely going to be getting myself the Dayton to add to my HT. It definitely adds tons of LFE - I watched U-571 tonight for the first time and had to turn down the SWFR level on my receiver because the two subs together were generating so much damn vibrations at the couch that my head was rattling! The Dayton is very impressive for its size and price. I totally understand why folks on these forums give it so much good praise and call it Tiny Mighty II! For the price, you'd expect it to be boomy, but it is far from that, very far! It destroys the 8" front-firing sub that was included with my old Kenwood HTB-506, that one is a boom box in comparison to the Dayton.

And guess how much I got the Dayton home for? After the US currency exchange, shipping, GST/PST at the border: $180 CDN (that's $156 CDN plus taxes retail if I walked in to a local store and picked up a sub)!

For all those considering a budget subwoofer, look no further than the Dayton Loudspeakers 10" down-firing sub, better known as Tiny Mighty II! Calibrated and positioned correctly, this thing can easily take on subs twice its price!

2. WilliamMc

WilliamMc Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying that port to the wall trick tonight!

3. kevin-van

kevin-van Auditioning

how did you managed to get it for only $180cdn? that's cheap. if i order one and get it ship to vancouver, it will end up costing around $250cdn if not more.

4. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Nice write-up!

Putting the two subs together should yield a significant SPL increase, so I would advise dropping the calibration level of each a few dB.

What is the basis for your statements on the frequency extension of each model? TIA.

Regards,

Ed

5. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

I did a frequency sweep using DVE on the HSU and it went as low as 17 Hz. I haven't tried the same sweep for the Dayton, but I am basing my statement on the Dayton's specs.

6. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

Well, I had the HSU in the front left corner, Dayton in the front right corner. I had the first battle scene of LOTR1 Ext. Ed. DTS-ES looping and was testing bass response on my couch. My house is connected to my neighbor's house (semi-detached), and we share the front wall of my home theater system, in other words, my subs are firing into the corner/wall I share with my neighbor. After a few minutes of wall-shaking bass of the looped scene, my doorbell rang and low and behold, it was my neighbor. She politely asked me to please turn down my subwoofer because it was making her whole house shake [​IMG]

The Dayton is now behind my couch, and will remain there...