What's new

Tiny Mighty II - DLS 300-632- 1st impressions (1 Viewer)

GregAV

Agent
As this is a budget sub it's only appropriate that my setup is about as low buck as it gets I suppose. DVD/audio playback through a PC DVD setup to an old Fosgate DSL TWO receiver. Speakers are JBL S-38's (45-20Khz). The sub is corner loaded about 8 ft from listening position, room size is approx. 10' x 15' with 2 opposing doorways and 1 other.

The sub provides a deeply felt rumble to DVD playback rather than what I've heard defined as HT "Slam". I suppose for that level of effect you need to spend considerably more than entry lvl sub pricepoints. Irregardless - while playing LotR II, the opening of the gates of Mordor was impressive as hell. Overall I found that I keep the sub gain down so that it enhances rather than overpowers the audio. It's a matter of taste I suppose, you dial it up a tad and it'll shake the room enough to amuse.

As far as musicality, I tried it out with a variety of material(techno/rock) and found the extension to the bass line to be quite enjoyable at a crossover of about 60Hz or less.

Considering the purchase price - this sub rocks :)

Greg

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Thanks for taking the time to write this. I'm trying to get a friend to buy this, if he does I'll plot his freq response and post it here.

GregAV

Agent
You're welcome Frank, happy to do so. I'd love to see some numbers posted for this little beast :)

Greg

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Have you tried stuffing it? Owners of the previous model who tried this apparently saw God.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jack,

IIRC, those were the Sony owners. I don't believe there's much benefit to stuffing the DLS subs as they have already added some polyfil in them. At least the older model. :)

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
I'm seriously interested in hearing more about the Tiny Mity II, as I'm looking for a good budget sub. Keep those impressions comin'!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
IIRC, those were the Sony owners. I don't believe there's much benefit to stuffing the DLS subs as they have already added some polyfil in them. At least the older model.
Ahh, ok, got it, the Sony was the one that got stuffed. The Dayton mod involved lining the box with depleted Uranium and coating the driver in a bee's wax/tofu compound.

Users who are viewing this thread