What's new

"Tiny Mighty" gets a facelift? (1 Viewer)

Kevin G.

Second Unit
So the Fabulous Dayton 10 incher gets a new look?
Has anyone looked into this yet?? Same great sound? And build quality??
What advantages would Front firing give?
I know it's been asked for, and been a long time coming...

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard any reviews of the newer build, but it's good to note that they also have a 12" version now for only $25 more.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I reaaaaally wish they would offer a cherry or walnut (vinyl) veneer option. I know it's a budget sub but black can stick out a lot in many rooms. Though this new design does look much better than the previous version.

Anyone know why subs are almost always cube shaped? What's wrong with a slimmer rectangular shape that could be nestled against the wall, or behind a couch if needed?

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
thanks guys.

Those shapes are somehow easier to look at; 16:9 screen shapes are the same way for me.

Both Outlaw subs look nice (so do the Thiels, but they're so out of my price range they're basically "fantasy" models). Regarding that Outlaw eight incher: I've only heard a couple good quality 8" subs* set up properly but think they are good for music-only systems that need to be inconspicous; or HT systems in small rooms (dorms, teenager bedrooms, etc). Or, for extending the range of small center and rear channel speakers in a surround system.

* conventional types, not those ultra-powerful ones that have drivers with two inches of cone excursion

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone notice that the frequency response on the new Daytons changed? The old 10" model was listed down to 25Hz, the new 10" model is listed to 30Hz while the 12" model is listed to 25Hz.

Also, does anyone have any experience with how deep this thing actually goes? I've only seen one response curve for the old model (I can't seem to find it now, I think it was on the audioholics forums) and it seemed to start rolling off pretty hard around 35 or 40Hz.

Anyone know what woofers are used in these subs? They don't look like any of the woofers that are listed on the Dayton Audio website. All of their woofers have regular dustcaps, not inverted like the new budget subs.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
My old Tiny Mity started dropping at 30hz, and more or less quit around 25... Yeah, something was there. Sort of. But I'm guessing that the amp may have had a good rumble filter in it...

Thing is, in its range, it rocked quite nicely.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I almost think the 10" version looks exactly like the KLH 10" sub that the Fry's store sold when I worked there. Except the ones at Fry's had blue-illuminated clear plastic spike feet. Blingin', y0.

Addendum: On closer inspection, that's EXACTLY what it is! Minus the blue illuminated feet, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks