What's new

TinTin to be made by Spielberg (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Why is this "dreadful news"? It's obviously a project Spielberg is passionate about, and he's got the clout to make it "just right" without yielding to studio pressure to Americanize it. And Spielberg really doesn't seem to have made many missteps lately.

Unless, of course, you mean that a live-action "Tintin" is a bad idea in the first place, Spielberg or no Spielberg. I won't necessarily argue that point. French bandes dessinées are often much more stylized than mainstream American comics, and I'm not sure how a balance would be struck between retaining "Tintin"'s distinctive look and making it not look like a cartoon. (And it's not just "Tintin"; I'm not sure I'd want to see a live-action "Incal", despite it being one of my current favorite comics... Although I wish Miramax would just release the "Asterix" movies here so I could see how well that worked out)

As for Zemeckis... I don't know. I mean, I don't know if Zemeckis even has it in him to make a fun, light-hearted movie any more - as much as I liked Contact and Cast Away, I wonder if today's Zemeckis would be capable of making Who Framed Roger Rabbit? If I were choosing directors, I'd be looking at a lot of people before Zemeckis. Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Joe Johnston, Julie Taymor, Sam Raimi, James Cameron, and heck, even Chris Columbus would come first.

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator
If I'm remembering correctly, when Spielberg was originally going to direct this in the '80s, Christopher Lambert was his main choice to play Tintin.:thumbsdown:
Jeunet would be my first choice as director, with Ron Perlman as Captain Haddock!

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Jason
I do think he would Americanize it somehow. I grew up on TinTin and Asterix and other Belgian comics, so perhaps I am a bit hesitant about making them into live action pictures.
here is the official Tintin website
http://www.tintin.be/home.html

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
And Zemeckis wouldn't? Look at Zemeckis's last few projects and look at Spielberg's. Who do you think would take more chances and make an interesting movie?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I grew up on TinTin and Asterix and other Belgian comics
Same here, TinTin was my favorite BD as a kid, I had read every single one them back then. Captain Haddock has had a great if somewhat dubious influence on my language :D
I hope this deal works out :emoji_thumbsup:
--
Holadem

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Based on the work of late Belgian cartoonist Georges Remi, the inaugural film in the series would follow the titular hero as he travels the globe, fighting crime with his loyal white-haired fox terrier, Snowy, and a group of oddball friends, including quick-tempered mentor Captain Haddock, the absent-minded Professor Cuthbert Calculus, opera diva Bianca Castafiore and bowler-wearing, blundering twin police officers Thomson and Thompson.
Great! The deal isn't even struck and they're already using the English translated names and making a few mistakes along the way!
- The dog's real name is Milou
- Professor Cuthberth Calculus' real name is Tryphon Tournesol. Also, he's hard of hearing, not absent-minded.
- Thomson and Thompson are actually Dupond and Dupont (look at their mustaches to tell them apart). And they're not twins.
- The only names they translated correctly are Tintin, Bianca Castafiore and captain Haddock.
This may seem to be nitpicking, but if we already don't tolerate bad Japanese translations, why should we put up with bad French translations?
*Sigh* It was a fun series while it lasted... :frowning:

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Although I wish Miramax would just release the "Asterix" movies here so I could see how well that worked out)
According to a recent issue of The Economist, Mission Cléopâtre will be released in the U.S. sometime next year. I don't know how they're going to pitch it, I imagine it will be an extremely limited release. Also, I have no idea what they're going to do with the first one (direct to video, maybe?).

Ike

Screenwriter
I used to read Tintin all the time! I just couldn't remember the name. Man, that brings back memories.

My public library (why a tiny school in the south had seemingly obscure (?) Belgium comics is beyond my grasp) had the huge hard back versions, and I checked everyone out. These were great!

As for a movie version....meh.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
I'd rather Spielberg use his time on SF projects, but this is apparently what he's gonna do so I hope it turns out enjoyably.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I always though that Mika Häkkinen would make a good Tintin, but he's too old and not an actor ;)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I don't believe in a live-action Tintin-film.
(Unless, of course, as every insider will echo, we can count on an enormous dedication, even on the side of the least of the extras ;) ).
I own at least two of each title. One in Dutch (the way I read it as a child - no, not exactly that way: I also own a version of L'Île Noire the way it originally appeared in the fifties, which shows that all pictures were subtly redrawn later to modernize the looks), and one in French. I also have the VHS-tapes and the DVDs of the French/Canadian animated versions of all his books (except Tintin au Congo, of course). They're not up to the standard of the originals, BTW.
And I own some related works, like the Illustrated Tournesol, and the Haddock book of curses (in French and Dutch) - Oscar, your title of this thread should have been taken from that!
And, yes, François, some names were translated (like Milou and the Dupon(d)(t)s and Tournesol - and Tintin, who's name is "Kuifje" in Dutch). Did you know BTW that some "foreign" language in his books can only be understood if you're Dutch (= also Flamish) speaking? Read the Syldavian, for instance.
Sometimes, later in my life, when I visited an exotic country or saw pictures of it on the telly, I actually recognized things and costumes from one of Hergé's albums. They were that good.
My wife and I often still quote from Hergé's Tintin. No, we don't believe it can be played by live-actors, not successfully. Aaah.. je ris...
Cees

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
Now this brings back memories. I read all Tintin comics(he is called Tim in Germany)when I was younger and still have one or two lying around. I would prefer they made an animated version, though. It would be so great if they preserved Hergé's style which is simply fantastic and timeless IMO.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Dominik,
You could get all the animated (short) films at Amazon France. I believe they are French/Canadian.
They are good with respect to the drawings, but less so in respect to the stories. (In my opinion, an animated Tintin should at least contain each and every single drawing of the original album, so to say. These don't. Also, they toned it considerably down for children: hardly anyone blown to pieces, and, worse, Captain Haddock hardly seems to drink :frowning: .)
But still: nice to have. (And a good opportunity to show something of our past to nowadays children who hardly read books anymore.)
Cees

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
I saw the shorts a few years ago (and they run pretty often in German television IIRC) and wasn't that impressed. They just weren't able to capture the scope of the comic.
I was just thinking about which title could deserve a major film and there are so many scenes rushing through my mind ... no way they can do this live action.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks