What's new

Tinted Windows (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I just tinted my car's windows and I have no idea what to use when cleaning the inside. Windex?? Any ideas??

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
I was told to use either soapy water, or just plain water. Something about the ammonia in glass cleaner.

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
Don't use anything with ammonia. Ammonia is used to remove the tint.
Go to the auto section in Target or Walmart and get the special window cleaner.
------------------
Andrew in Austin

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The best thing to use is a mild soap/water mix or a silicone cleaner made specifically for window tint. Windex will destroy your tint, do not use it.
Also do not forget: Do not roll your windows down for at least 4 days, and do not clean the inside for at least 14-15 days. Allow at least 30 days for all haze to disappear.
------------------
My DVD Collection Casa del Clint
[Edited last by Clinton on October 21, 2001 at 08:01 PM]

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys!! Just the info I needed.
Now have to go to Target/Walmart and check out "ammonia-free" glass cleaners.
Thanks again!!

Lisel

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought some Armor All glass cleaner that, according to the label, is safe to use on tinted windows.
Lisel

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Hey, speaking of tinting your windows, how hard is this?? I really want to tint my windows and figure I could probably do a decent job of it. I'd just pay someone else to do it, but $50 vs. $250 is a huge difference. Besides, I'd like to go just slightly darker than the legal 35%. The problem is, everyone I know tells me it's very difficult to do.
Anyone want to quickly outline the process and difficulty rating for me?
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Ryan,
The guy who tinted my windows did an excellent job. I have a 1997 Acura Integra coupe, the one with the huge piece of glass on the hatch. He charged me $120.00, including labor and material. That's including all the side windows and the hatch. It looks like something that I wouldn't be able to handle myself, especially that hatch where he had to do some fancy cutting and slicing. If you've never tinted windows before, I think letting a professional handle it would be a wise choice.

AjayM

Screenwriter
Hey, speaking of tinting your windows, how hard is this?? I really want to tint my windows and figure I could probably do a decent job of it. I'd just pay someone else to do it, but $50 vs. $250 is a huge difference. Besides, I'd like to go just slightly darker than the legal 35%. The problem is, everyone I know tells me it's very difficult to do.
Anyone want to quickly outline the process and difficulty rating for me?
Well, I live in S. Florida and just about everybody tints their windows, so it is quite cheap down here (figure around $80-$100 for a good high quality tint, down around $40-50 for cheap "turns purple overnight" stuff), but before I moved here, and the last time I tinted a car I did it myself with excellent results.
The process is fairly simple (although describing it I'll probably leave out a bit), make a rough cut around the window you want to tint, peal the backing away, spray the windows with the water/soap solution, spray the adhesive side of the tint with the water/soap solution, throw it on the windows and squegee it out a little bit, trim the excess, squegee some more, do a final trim. That's the short of it.
The last car I did was a 94 Honda Civic hatchback and I had no problems with the side windows, the rear is fairly small and has a good curve in it, so you have to be careful with the cut-out, and it's very helpful to have a heat gun available to "shrink" the problem areas a little.
It's a bit tedious and you have to be patient, but it's not that difficult, and if you live in an area that costs a fortune to have it done (like $240) you can screw up a lot and still come out ahead (I think I spent $40 on a few boxes of top quality tint at the auto parts store last time).
Andrew
------------------

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info. There's a guy who sells a good quality tint pre-cut for Fieros. $35 for the tint (both side windows & rear window) and tools necessary to get it done (sqeugee, soapy solution, etc). I think I'm going to buy a kit from him and give it a try.
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks