tinted glass cabinet doors.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Y, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Don Y

Don Y Guest

I am buiilding a cabinet for my components and it will have a smoked glass door. Does anyone know how dark I can make the glass before it interferes with the IR to control my components. I have an older cabinet with light smoked glass doors and it works fine but I want to go darker.

2. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

I don't have an answer but a suggestion for trial and error.

Cut a couple(say 5) small squares of the glass. Tint them to 5 defferent levels. Place them in front of the IR receiver on the component you wanna test. Once all the IR's are tested, go with the level that works for all of them.

3. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

If you have a camcorder try putting the tint material between the remote and the camcorder at the distance you normaly are. You will be able to see the infared light by looking through the camcorder. I would start with a very light grade of tint and the double it or triple or maybe even quadrople it. point being is when you can no longer see the infared emitter flashing its to dark. at that point take off a piece of the tint and run with it

4. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

I was thinking of doing that same thing with a cabinet I am making. My cabinet is built-in to the back wall and I wanted to cut down on reflections the equipment makes on the tv screen. Do you know how much high def tv's reflect that type of light? I will be getting a new tv hopefully soon![​IMG]
    Let me know what you find in your "experiments!"
    Ace