Tinning wire...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Fitzsimmons, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

My surround speakers use spring clips and so does the terminals for the surrounds on my reciever so I am hooking it up with bare wire. Would it be better to tin the wire? This is simply just a little soldering on the end to make it more like one conductor, right? Is there any certain solder I should use?

2. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Mark,If you chose to tin the wires I would use a good silver bearing solder ava at any local Radio Shack. I don't really think there is any benefit to doing it other than neatness & if you remove the wires every now & again it will make it much easyer .

Buy the way you can use any solder ,but the silver bearing solder will not tarnish like regular 60/40 stuff will.
    Hope this helps...

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Tinning will also help with keeping the strands together and oxidation.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Personally, if I were faced with that situation, I'd opt for gold plated pins. After that, I'd probably opt for tinning seeing as I just happen not to like the idea of stray wires. Regardless, it's probably rather irrelevent if you use a tin/lead or one with silver also. temp needs to be a little higher for the silver based stuff, but not a big thing. fwiw, solder forms a surface oxide (that slightly dull sheen).

5. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

Would it be sensable to tin the ends of the wires before I screw on my banana plugs?

FYI I have banana plugs on reciever and speaker side for my entire front stage.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

no biggie either way