What's new

TimeWarner Cable Modem Service (RoadRunner) (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I'm living in a house of 8 next year, and I want to know if it's possible to connect all 8 of us to the Internet. Someone told me it's only good for up to 3 people. I'd call Time Warner and ask, but they're closed on the weekend.

thanks

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
Get a Cable/DSL router and you could share up to 8 or more PC's. Linksys has an 8 port version available. Just be aware that if you have all 8 PC's downloading info at the same time, it is going to slow down. Time Warner will want to charge you for additional IP addresses but the router does everything you need so you don't have to inform the cable company about you router.
http://www.linksys.com/Products/prod...id=23&prid=155

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, DO NOT mention to time warner that you plan on sharing the connection. They'll try and charge you for multiple IP addresses. Just get everyone to pitch in for the router Eric mentioned and you'll be good to go. If you think you'll want to go wireless get the wireless version (wish I had). You can also connect hubs to the router and create more ports. I think the device can support 255 connections? I can't remember the number but its more than the number of ports.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
thanks for the beautiful replies...so how much do these routers go for anyway?

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
I recommend a Netgear - Linksys can sometimes be troublesome.

I have the 8 port model, an RO318 - you can find it at Amazon for about $150, just to give you an idea.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
I have a Netgear RT314; took about 15 minutes to setup, and it had our house of 4 PCs connected to our cable internet; I added a cheap 5-port switch when 2 more people moved in.

Get an 8 port model if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks