Timesplitters2 - how do you save a game??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John B., Feb 22, 2003.

1. John B.

John B. Stunt Coordinator

I just got this game, and it's already frustrating me. I'm on the 1st level (the siberian area) and even when i get past a 'checkpoint' it doesn't seem to save. When i quit and start again i have to start from the beginning? Am i missing something?

The demo disk was like this too, but i was ok w/ that since it was just a demo disk. The real thing i'd hope would let you save your progress at some point and not have to go thru the whole level....

thanks for the info

2. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

when you get to a checkpoint it doesnt save the game. The checkpoint is only if you die, so you restart there. The game is auto saved after you exit a level, it saves to your username then

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

In TimeSplitters, the levels have to be completed all at once. The checkpoints allow you to restart at that spot if you die there, not if you reset the console. It's not like Half-Life or Deus Ex or Red Faction, where the whole game is one continuous thing. They're not that long, though the hard levels require lots of retries.

BTW, which console version are you playing?

4. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I think not having at least SOME in-game saves these days is inexcusable. There are few games I find fun to play after the fifth or sixth repeat of the same level. For some reason, console producers can still get away with this, even the Xbox with its hard drive, while PC gamers learned a long time ago not to put up with it (for the most part).
    I like a challenge as much as the next person, but I think there should be at least a LIMITED amount of saves. Not having the option to save at all is infuriating.

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

James-

For TimeSplitters 2, the levels are not interconnected like in Half-Life, Deus Ex, etc., so there's no need to have saves in a level. The levels are about 20 minutes long (if that) on the Easy difficulty, so you don't need to constantly save.

Besides, allowing you to save in the middle of a 20 minute level is, IMO, kinda cheap. If the levels were double length, then I'd understand, but for a game like this (which is similar in setup to games like GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, especially since the same programmers made TimeSplitters 1 and 2) it wouldn't make sense.

6. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I see what you're saying Morgan, but I still like having in-game saves. I played Goldeneye on an emulator on my PC and I loved being able to save in-game (and the higher resolution graphics).

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

James-

That's a feature of the PC emulator, not the game, so it's not exactly true to the experience. BTW, emulators are legal, but ROMs are not, so you might want to keep from mentioning the ROM you just said you played.

Personally, I like the save anywhere idea, but in a game like TimeSplitters, the challenge comes from having to do it (up to a certain point) in one try.