TimeSplitters Future Perfect = Bad

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SteveCallas, Mar 23, 2005.

1. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

Man, I am a huge fan of TimeSplitters 2, but this new game is just plain awful. The gameplay, graphics, music, and sound effects have all REGRESSED from part 2. I am forced to believe that this drop in quality is due to EA having a role in its development. They tried to implement ideas from Halo - such as grenades at any time, vehicles, melee attacks, etc. but they are not executed very well at all.

If you were thinking about this one, I'd definitely reccommend renting it first. I'm taking mine back tommorrow.

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I recall the reviews from TS2 were pretty universal in saying the game is really geared for multi-player. Did you play the single campaign only? Or are your impressions re: gameplay from multi?

I don't know if EA would be to blame - Oddworld: Stranger was picked up by them (from Microsoft) and has received rave reviews. Although they published it as opposed to developing.

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

EA didn't develop this, Free Radical did, just to be clear.

4. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

I played single and multi player and it became obvious VERY quickly that this game had changed for the worse. The way guns shoot, the way the enemies just stand there and get hit, the watered down sound effects, it's all just very depressing. I was looking forward to this game for over a year and I'm pretty upset. Taking it back and getting MGS 3, which is a great game.

5. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I bought this a day or two ago and have been playing it ever since. So far I don't quite like it as much as TS2 but I still think it's a very worthy game with some possible good online play. Probably worth a rental first though.

6. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Wow, has crack smoking become a recreational activity around here or what? [​IMG]

With TimeSplitters FP (TFP), the TPTB at Free Radical took everything that was great about TS2 and took it to the Nth power. The humor, the inventive game play and the homages to other games are back. This time they've expanded from just Goldeneye (The Khallos Express) to do Perfect Dark, Second Sight (Breaking & Entering) and even Halo (Machine Wars/Something to Crow About).

The story mode is a vast improvement over TS2, while staying true to the timeline of the games. I think they've fixed one of the monumental problems of the first game: not enough checkpoints in story mode. I certainly didn't think the enemy AI was any more or less stupid than in TS2.

TFP's multiplayer is bigger and more varied this time around, with about 25 more characters to unlock to boot. I haven't had a chance to fool around with the mapmaker, but it's my understanding it's undergone a vast upgrade. TS2 was the most played game on my Gamecube and now I think I've found the replacement.

7. Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel Stunt Coordinator

I guess the best way to respond to this is to say I disagree with everything said in this post. [​IMG] Timesplitters 3 is awesome, and is definitely worth picking up, especially if you liked TS2.

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I suggest you finish the story mode first. Then play it online. Then download some maps and make some of your own.

I'm really not sure there's a better value for just $50.

9. BrionL

BrionL Stunt Coordinator

How could anyone dislike this game? It's just as good or better than TS2.

Brion