TimeSplitters 2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Morgan Jolley, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Just got this today for my birthday (17, if you want to know).

This game kicks ass. The Single player mode is OK, but the Arcade mode is so much fun. In case you don't know what I'm talking about, I'll explain:

When you select Arcade from the main menu, you're given 3 options: Arcade League, Arcade Custom, or Network (haven't tried this, but if you select it, you appear to be able to switch the connection method to more than one option, but the only one there is i.Link...maybe the game uses ethernet connections and routers as a possibility?). If you select Arcade Custom, it'll eventually bring you to the different modes and such that you would use to start a game with your friends.

If you choose League, then you're sent to different modes where you have to complete some sort of task (such as get 25 kills and be in 1st place after a 4 minute game) in different levels with different circumstances. There are 3 Leagues with a few different groups of competitions in each. Each group has 3 matches in it. You have to get a Bronze/Silver/Gold cup in each (you don't have to get them in that order, but you need to get at least one of them) by completing a task (like I mentioned before). I have to say that this is the most fun I've had in a FPS since the 7-person game of Halo we started at the last Palooza.

I haven't even beaten more than 10% of the game (the game keeps track of how much you've done) but it already is great and worth the purchase. Anyone else have some opinions?

BTW, I gotta get some friends to buy this game and i.Link cables.

2. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

Congrats!

Sigh - if this had network capabilities, I'd be down with it. I'm needin' some online PS2 action! (yes, considered SOCOM already....)

3. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

Awesome! Happy B day.

4. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I still can't believe that Matt Cassamawhatever (IGN) says that this game is better than Goldeneye. Although, he always was a bit of a nutcase, wasn't he. Let us know your further impressions when you get a chance...good or bad.

Happy birthday to you!

-Dan

5. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

I have the game too.

The Goldeneye influences are pretty apparent, especially the first level in 'story mode.' The game is a lot of fun, especially, as Morgan said, in Arcade mode. Alas I do not have network capability right now so I cannot comment on that (which is the only selling point for a lot of you I'll assume). But it's a definite thumbs up. Very polished, very solid controls, a wide variety of weapons and characters, and some awesome weather, lighting, and reflection effects. If you have online capability and/or friends who are willing to do multiplayer this is a must buy. If not, at least give it a rental, it can't hurt.

Better than Goldeneye? That has yet to be seen.

~j

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Finished the Story mode on Easy today.

The story sucks. The Story mode is great. To tell the truth, there really isn't a story. They have an opening to the story and a closing, but the things in between seem to have little to nothing to do with the rest. Even so, the varied levels, objectives, enemies, and weapons are EXTREMELY well done and shine with more polish than a big ol' bucket of polishing solution stuff. What's even cooler is that some (maybe all, haven't played enough yet) of the original levels from the first game are back in the multiplayer mode, which is just as great as the one is TS1, only WAY better.

BTW, nothing's better than being chased around by several monkeys who are ensnared in a green flame in the middle of a small mexican village. Play the Arcade League and you'll see what I mean eventually.

7. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Morgan, it was me VS. the monkeys, and they all had arrows and dynamite in a room that I designed in the level editor. Those monkeys are evil!
    Listen, 2 things you all need to know about this game:
    1) There are midget clowns in this game.
    2) There are monkeys in this game.
    [​IMG][​IMG] nuff said. it rocks
    ~j

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

No, they need to know that there can also be midget flaming monkeys. That beats out midget clowns.

Seriously, how can you not love a game where you get chased around by a bunch of midget flaming monkeys?!?!?!

9. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

double post, sorry

10. Sean Moon

MIDGET CLOWNS!!! THERE ARE MIDGET CLOWNS!!!???? HOW DO i GET THE MIDGET CLOWNS!!??? I am trying to unlock everything, taking forever, but midget clowns is too good to wait for.

I wonder if they have monkeys in clown suits...that would make this the greatest game ever!!!

11. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Until they put bowlers on the monkeys I will never buy a game such as this. This is almost as bad as EA.

12. Sean Moon

Still hung up on the bowlers James?
    Cmon, MIDGET CLOWNS!! With guns and flame throwers to boot! How cool is that!?

13. James Zos

I am NOT "hung up" on the bowlers. It is simply INEXCUSABLE in this day and age to release a game that features monkeys without including bowlers for the monkeys. We're not talking about the NES here. I KNOW my Xbox is powerful enough to include monkeys WITH bowlers and I'll be damned if I'm going to shell out fifty bucks for a game that leaves them out.

14. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

I got TS2 yesterday.... I went into Arcade mode and Network play (I thought online support was removed from this game???) Well it had LAN and ilink (ilink is for multiple PS2's right??) I went in to LAN and it had Internet settings and I checked my connection (an option on there) and It said my connection was good.
    But I tried to "JOIN GAME" and it gave me nothing.... This game isnt online RIGHT? Why am I given the choice to go online? But not get online? what the hell is this all about?? That would be so sweet if it was online..... but I think I know better.
    Can anybody with an ehternet connection help me out here [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

Oh and by the way even if it doesnt hav e online its a pretty sweet game! I like the midget clowns to! lol

16. Sean Moon

The not adding bowlers is kinda inexcusable. You can add chef hats to em though![​IMG]

17. James Zos

NO. No chef hats. Must be bowlers. I'm through compromising on this issue.

18. Sean Moon

The chef hats work on all the characters except the monkeys. Now I am getting outraged. [​IMG]
    Monkeys with guns and flamthrowers, then midget clowns. I cant wait to opne up monkey assist, that mode will rock.
    Also, I wish in the mapmaker mode the minigun turrets the you can set up, I wish you could designate which team they fire at. I hated the stage where you have to shut down the dotcom business and the guns in your own base try to kill you. It makes the stage tougher than it should be..as if being shot by an accountant wasnt bad enough.

19. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

20. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    In another forum, it was suggested that the X-Box version was brought forward to this week.

Is there any truth in this? Has anyone bought the X-Box version at retail yet?