Timeshifting

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WayneG, Dec 13, 2002.

1. WayneG

WayneG Stunt Coordinator

Could anyone please tell me what this is? Thanks.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It refers to the practice of recording broadcasts (usually TV, usually on videotape) for later watching -- i.e., shifting your viewing to a different time.

M.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Yep- it's just a high-tech term for recording a broadcasted program for viewing later...

I think the term came about it develop a hair-line distinction between "recording" (which infers that you are creating a long term archive of a copyright program) and simply recording something so you can watch it at a more appropriate time for you.

-Vince

4. wayne-sun

wayne-sun Agent

In Canada Bell Expressvu our satellite provider refers to time shifting as providing network tv feeds from different time zones so you can watch the same show at 2 or 3 different times.

5. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson Second Unit

Yeah--it's essentially recording to watch later, but I think in the realm of DVI/HDCP, copyprotection crap, it carries a bit of a different meaning.

People these days are using PVRs more and more to start recording a show and begin viewing 20 minutes or so into it, and skipping over the commercials as they go. This is a bad bad thing for the networks--they need you to watch those commericals. There's not a lot they can do about this the way things are now--however, when high-def becomes the standard (probably 20 years from now, the rate things are happening) networks are trying harder and harder to prevent us from doing that. How? By taking away our ability to record hi-def material entirely. So, this is the reason why there are no HD PVR's yet (apart from PC cards) and the reason why networks are pushing "flags" and other such nonsense to prevent such "Timeshifting" in the High-def realm. DVI will help them do this, I believe. Folks that are fortunate to have enough booty to pony up for a DVHS are recording material like mad, because they know that something may happen eventually that will prevent them from continuing. Anyway--let's hope this doesn't happen.

6. WayneG

WayneG Stunt Coordinator

Thanks.

The VCR has shaped peoples' viewing habits dramtically. If HDTV takes over and you are no longer able to tape, I think this would greatly hurt the stations. It was different years ago when there were only a handful of channels, but now people often have two things they want to watch at the same time, if not something when they are at work or out. Perhaps they have create something where you can tape a show and watch it once - if not keep it for posterity.

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

8. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim