What's new

Timeline of when Dolby Digital+, TrueHD, DTS-HD capable receivers are out? (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i'm thinking late 2007 before we see any HDMI1.3 enabled a/v receivers that can decode all those 3 new format natively with THX applied on top of it. when do you think it'll arrive?

julie_v

Auditioning
Real Name
julie
im thinking early 2007.

i heard yesterday that hdmi 1.3 has been finalised which i think will go hand in hand with the new audio formats.

julie

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I hope it does not got beyond summer of 07 for the new audio formats (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD and DTS-HD) to be incorperated into new recievers. I currently use an older Yamaha RX-V995 that can only decode 5.1 surround tracks. I was going to pull the trigger on a Denon AVR-2807 but since the new formats should be available sometime in the next year.

I think I will just keep my 5.1 reciever in use right where it is until the new processors are available. Even then I think my Yamaha will end up being used for my PC. :cool:

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Wow, we are all somewhat close. I'm thinking about 1 year from now.

I.e., how long has HDMI 1.2 been official, yet there are no products that have that yet?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
kev, i'm assuming there have been numerous a/v receivers with HDMI1.2a. but i'm not too sure which ones.

but that is a good point because HDMI 1.2a was approved late December of 2005 and look how many products are there with 1.2a out there? not a lot. that's 6-12 months adoption rate.

if you goto hdmi.org, there is a blurb in there about 1.3 spex (coming soon). so EVEN IF it is approved and finalized by the end of this month (june 2006), it will be spring of 2007 or summer 2007 (6-12months) before product actually arrives with HDMI 1.3 =).

good thing i'm saving up!!! =).

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I guarentee you: there have been absolutely no products released with HDMI 1.2 yet. If there were, I would know about it, because I am keenly interested in a digital pathway for SACD. Ain't happened yet. :)

To be honest, I'm betting 1.2 products get "skipped", and we'll just start to see 1.3 products ... whenever we do.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
any News on this front =). we're all eagerly awaiting HDMI 1.3-capable AVR's. but assuming it arrives the latter half of 2007, it would be fortuitous because PS3 would be out, BR&HD-DVD will be on its 2nd gen with HDMI 1.3 outputs capable of connecting with the new AVR's =).

so... let's ALL save up $ for the new HT for uncompressed audio! so say we all! ;).

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I saw a blurb on AVS that Panny would have one of their digitally powered receivers out this fall with HDMI 1.3. I'm not following the thread, so I don't know how true that is.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
okay so HDMI1.3 is now offically finalized!!! as anakin skywalker would say when he was a kid, "YIPEE!!!"

so our projections are probably correct. 07 mid to late sometime for more 1.3 compatible devices. man, save up $. i'm thinking somn in the $2,000 range =). it's about time i get a really good one.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member

Denon's D-Link. :)

I have seen a couple mentions now that HDMI 1.3 products will begin to show up before the end of this year.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
but doesn't Denon's D-Link take the SACD signals and convert it into PCM, and THEN doing D/A on it and then amplifying it? i'm talking about a/v receivers that can decode the 1-bit modulation. will such a beast ever exist?

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Since 1.2 HDMI supports SACD, 1.3 will as well. So as soon as the 1.3 preamps hit the market you have your support for SACD.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Whatever digital method you use for SACD isn't as important as the fact that you can send SACD digitally. I've been sending via firewire from a Pioneer 59Avi to a Yamah RX-V4600 being used as a pre amp. Let me tell you it's incredible. Bass management, time alignment, THX music, and DPL2x music all can be applied without loss of quality.

Kevin I forgot to throw a smiley in my previous post as it was meant in fun.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
but do we know how Denon converts the DSD into audio at the a/v receiver leve? does it convert it into PCM, THEN D/A?

what about from DSD directly to analog?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I think Denon receivers have some kind of "pure audio" mode where it's direct DSD to analog. But I don't think you get any bass management or time alignment in that case. And the players are the same: there is a mode where you can do DSD direct to analog. In the manuals somewhere.

In fact, it's obvious that Denon Link only transmits DSD, because this is exactly why it took so long for them to get the license from Sony to allow DSD transmission. If they could have converted to PCM in the player and then transmitted PCM down Denon Link for SACD, then we wouldn't have had to wait the 2 odd years that it took for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks