What's new

TimeLife announces "The Lost Episodes" of The Carol Burnett Show (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
So, the only way to get all of the episodes on the Time-Life exclusive is going to be just to get that one big box, right?

I was thinking with the previous set (from the later seasons) that a retail version eventually made its way out containing all the episodes that were in the previous T-L exclusive, but I take it that is not the case this time (or at least not yet)?

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Eventually there was a retail release of the original big Time Life set. I think it is still available on Amazon.

I assume that the Lost Episodes big set will eventually have a retail release. At the moment the only way to get all of the episodes from the early seasons that have been released so far is to get the big Time Life set.

texboil

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Robbins
Anybody know if Costco has an exclusive version of this set? I went yesterday and they didn't have any out, so maybe Costco isn't even carrying this release?

mayberry66guy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil
Anybody know if Costco has an exclusive version of this set? I went yesterday and they didn't have any out, so maybe Costco isn't even carrying this release?
I also visited my Costco in Raleigh, NC, yesterday, and the only thing new they had was the new Bond film, Spectre, priced at $3 more than Best Buy or Target.
I tracked down a store employee and he paged the front office. If the lady who was looking it up was correct, it was not on their manifest for yesterday. This may not be accurate since when I was looking for WKRP in Cincinnati a year ago, it was not in their system as WKRP, but instead it was listed as something like "DVD Variety Pack," or something nondescript. So, I will check back in a few days in hopes of finding it.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, not exactly related to the Lost Episodes set but I just got the book The Carol Burnett Show Companion: So Glad We Had This Time and I made a discovery.

On the original Time Life Ultimate Collection there is another edited episode. Show 707 in the One More Time set, disc 17. The Ethel Herman sketch has been edited out. Probably due to the use of three Ethel Merman songs (actually just parts of the songs).

The good news, this same episode was also released on Columbia House Volume 2 unedited. So, Columbia House Volume 2 now contains one unedited episode later released on Time Life and one episode not released anywhere else.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
In the book The Carol Burnett Show Companion: So Glad We Had This Time, there is some insight as to why the first five years have not been syndicated or released on DVD. I will post the complete quote, but it seems that the Lost Episodes set was released to appease the Bob Banner Estate and stop their lawsuit against Carol. Reading between the lines a bit, I got the impression that without any further agreements between the Banner Estate and Carol the 45 Lost episodes released will be the only episodes released from seasons 1-5. I kind of figured that out already, but in my opinion, that seems to have been confirmed. That and there was no retailer exclusive sets (Costco, Wal-Mart, etc) that contained new to DVD episodes.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Ok, here is the quote from the new Carol Burnett show companion book regarding the DVD seasons 1-5.

From page 242

"In fact, a year after the death of the company's namesake, Bob Banner Associates (Bob Banners heirs and his production company just to clarify things a bit because there is loads more before this quote) filed suit against Carol's production company seeking compensation and accounting in part from profits generated by DVDs of The Carol Burnett Show that included selected portions of shows from 1967-1972. Bob Banner Associates planed to sell a DVD of Carol's appearances on The Garry Moore Show in 2013 that Carol's lawyers blocked. To avoid an impasse and make everyone happy--including fans who had long wanted to see the material--Carol and the Banner heirs came to an agreement with her selling The Lost Episodes, a DVD set released in 2015 that featured 45 episodes from the 1967-1972 seasons, including nine from this (1971-1972) season (but notably only three of them from 1972)."

Also, I have gone through the book in regards to episodes from seasons 6-10 to try and match up part of the syndicated Carol Burnett and Friends episodes. I, think, I have finally gotten the definitive breakdown for Carol Burnett and Friends. There are still a few mysteries, but overall I'm 99% sure that I have everything correct. Here's the latest update to the episode guide.

Sadly, the attached version of the episode guide is only in text format. If you want a real copy, just PM me and I'll send you one.

Attachments

• Carol Burnett & Friends Episode Guide-Updated.txt
    48.2 KB · Views: 636
Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Ok, here is the quote from the new Carol Burnett show companion book regarding the DVD seasons 1-5.

From page 242

"In fact, a year after the death of the company's namesake, Bob Banner Associates (Bob Banners heirs and his production company just to clarify things a bit because there is loads more before this quote) filed suit against Carol's production company seeking compensation and accounting in part from profits generated by DVDs of The Carol Burnett Show that included selected portions of shows from 1967-1972. Bob Banner Associates planed to sell a DVD of Carol's appearances on The Gerry Moore Show in 2013 that Carol's lawyers blocked. To avoid an impasse and make everyone happy--including fans who had long wanted to see the material--Carol and the Banner heirs came to an agreement with her selling The Lost Episodes, a DVD set released in 2015 that featured 45 episodes from the 1697-1972 seasons, including nine from this (1971-1972) season (but notably only three of them from 1972)."

Also, I have gone through the book in regards to episodes from seasons 6-10 to try and match up part of the syndicated Carol Burnett and Friends episodes. I, think, I have finally gotten the definitive breakdown for Carol Burnett and Friends. There are still a few mysteries, but overall I'm 99% sure that I have everything correct. Here's the latest update to the episode guide.

One moore minor correction - it was the GARRY Moore show not the Gerry Moore show :cool:

Last edited:

Bobster

Grip
Real Name
Robert

Bobster

Grip
Real Name
Robert
Well surprise of surprises, I'm getting it! I called the Time/Life number (I had my account number ready; I'd learned to save the receipt!) and explained I wanted the Carol's Lost Christmas since I had gotten the complete set last year. After checking my account, they said I could get one if I pay $14 for shipping which didn't surprise me at all. I should be getting it in 5 days. So 3 more complete eps!!! :cheers::rolling-smiley:

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yes, the Carol's Lost Christmas DVD is available separately. I got mine for $16.04 (including shipping). You do have to call Time Life to get it, but you can get it.

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
I will have to call again. I called on Friday and they basically told me "too bad. It's not for individual sale."
I'm not sure if anyone has been able to purchase this without having previously purchased the set. I gave them my info and they were able to confirm that I had purchased the full Lost Episodes set already. I explained that I supported the release from the start, and would like the bonus disc. The woman I spoke to also saw I had bought the original Carol Burnett set a few years back. She said "Oh I see you are a big fan of Carol Burnett", and she sent it to me for FREE.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I'm not sure if anyone has been able to purchase this without having previously purchased the set. I gave them my info and they were able to confirm that I had purchased the full Lost Episodes set already. I explained that I supported the release from the start, and would like the bonus disc. The woman I spoke to also saw I had bought the original Carol Burnett set a few years back. She said "Oh I see you are a big fan of Carol Burnett", and she sent it to me for FREE.

I'll call again when I get a chance and hopefully get a more cooperative customer service rep. When I originally called, the rep found the record of my purchase but, after placing me on hold, said it wasn't for individual sale.

Bobster

Grip
Real Name
Robert
I just called today and could barely understand the CSR there but he quoted me the price of $12.95 for this specific disc and now I'm on the fence as to whether to get this or not, knowing that the three episodes on the disc are edited for broadcast purposes. Will think about it.

What what WHAT???

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yes, two of the three episodes are edited. Show 014 and Show 414. Show 014 is missing the Barbara Eden and Carol duet about magic with them performing a few magic tricks and Show 414 is missing the finale featuring clips and songs from Scrooge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks