What's new

TimeLife announces "The Lost Episodes" of The Carol Burnett Show (1 Viewer)

mayberry66guy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil
Saw this online the other night and tried, to no avail, to find a description.

Has anyone heard what is "Exclusive" about Walmart's single disc release? Perhaps just a bonus episode from another disc from the large set? Or could it be another "new" episode?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/45451648

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
AndyMcKinney said:
I never expected a 'complete' set of the first five seasons (or even a complete single season). I'm actually kind of surprised anyone was expecting that, given the release history for this show.
I was skeptical about it too even after reading this, and the quote from Carol herself.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Carol-Burnett-DVDs-Planned/20482

'I am writing my fourth book, which is a compilation of my memories of each show that we did.And next spring, we are going to release the first five years of our show.That has never been done in syndication. It's funny, looking at the hairdos and the clothes, and some of the sketches are weird, but it's all fun.'"

I like Time-Life, and appreciate what they are offering of the show but I have never been a fan of select 'hand picked' or random episodes(who is to say a possible favorite episode would be included on the set?). I feel like I'm missing out big time by not buying the Ultimate Collection, or The Lost Episodes. But to me releases like this rate right up there with syndicated versions of shows on dvd. I would still be missing so much of the series that I just feel it isn't worth the cost.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Ok, here is something that I have been working on for quite some time now. Here is an episode list for the syndicated Carol Burnett & Friends episodes indicating what episodes/sketches have not been released on DVD.

I have done an extensive amount of rather difficult research to attempt to pick this apart. Without having access to more detailed documentation, this is the best that I can do with the limited resources available. Is this perfect? No. After getting that variety show book mentioned earlier in this thread (which wasn't much help but it did provide a few key pieces that I needed) this is as close to complete as I could make it. Keep in mind that the Carol Burnett & Friends episodes only cover seasons 6-10. Also, I found it interesting that not every single non musicial sketch was used to make these syndicated shows. So, in the end there is non musical stuff sitting in the vault that hasn't been seen since the original airing of the original hour long episodes.

Now, there is more than a fair amount of guess work on my part. Again, with more detailed sources the list could be much more accurate but I think I'm about 85-90% correct.

As you will notice, not every original hour long episode was trimmed down to a 22 minute episode for syndication. Some of the time, sketches from two and even three episodes were used to make up one 22 minute episode. Also, sometimes sketches were edited to fit the 22 minute running time. There is even an instance where the same sketch was used in two different episodes.

The important thing for me was to identify the material that hasn't been released on DVD. To that end, if an entire episode hadn't been released, I really didn't bother to attempt to figure out what sketches came from what episode. I just tried to figure out what original episode the majority of sketches came from. Most of the time, the full episodes were made up of sketches from the same episode. Anything on the list in bold and italics have not been released on DVD.

Finally, the only part of these episodes that I didn't concern myself with were the opening Q&A segments. Most of the time these have been edited to nothing more than Carol saying 'Welcome to our show' and then 'Don't go away. We'll be right back.' It would have been just about impossible to identify if each of these segments were shown with their correct corresponding episode. So, I didn't even try. I kept the openings with the episodes as they were shown. There is only one time noted where an opening was used for an episode that it didn't belong and that is the one where Burt Reynolds makes a cameo.

Now before it gets brought up, I'll mention the Family Sketches. We all know that not all of them have been released on DVD. However, if you get all of the ones from the Carol Burnett and Friends episodes and the DVDs then there are only 6 sketches not available. Four of those are on You Tube (and in good condition). I have also attached a list all of the Family Sketches that indicates which ones are available in the Carol Burnett and Friends episodes and the ones on You Tube. I'd like to get a copy of the two that I'm missing. Hopefully someone will upload them to You Tube one day.

Attachments

• Carol Burnett & Friends Episode Guide.docx
    60.5 KB · Views: 474
  • Carol Burnett Show - The Family Sketches.docx
    14.2 KB · Views: 458

Sadie1ge

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob Schiaffino
Thanks for posting this list!

Truly wonderful!

I do have one question..

this was family sketch was released on DVD? WHICH dvd set? ANY info would be amazing!

Season 11 October 8, 1977

Dan comes to dinner. Ed has left Eunice (Dick Van Dyke as Dan Fogarty).

Thanks in advance!

Robert

Sadie1ge

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob Schiaffino
Hi Brian,

thanks for your response...

I do have Carol's Crackup 7 disc set.. and I just looked through the Oct 8th, 77 episode but that particular Family skit isn't part of that show.

Perhaps, another date or was it on a single dvd release of Carol's Crack ups?

Love to complete my "Family" collection.

thanks again, Rob

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Sorry, I checked the set also and the sketch isn't there. That list I had was sent to me eons ago. The date was wrong. I looked in my Variety Shows book. The date should be September 24, 1977. The first episode of season 11. That episode has not been released. So, that makes 2 sketches that are currently MIA.

I made the correction on the master list.

Sadie1ge

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob Schiaffino
No problem, I'm just afraid that I'd miss an episode or two with all those confusing Time/Life releases.

The Walmart Exclusive, the 6 disc set , the Costco Set and so forth.

Still a great job in assembling the list!

Truly helps a lot....

Thank you

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Brian Himes said:
Ok, here is something that I have been working on for quite some time now. Here is an episode list for the syndicated Carol Burnett & Friends episodes indicating what episodes/sketches have not been released on DVD.

A staggering effort. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

mayberry66guy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil
Just got back from Costco. Picked up my "Lost Episodes" set for $28.99--quite the bargain compared to Amazon.com's 6-disc set for $39.99.

The 7th bonus disc includes episodes #518 and #310. Based on the original press release for the large Lost Episodes Collection, this would be Disc 13 of the collection, or Disc 1 of the "Classic Carol" set. So, nothing special for folks who plan to buy the $199.99 set from Time-Life, but something nice for folks like me who cannot justify that expenditure right now.

Attachments

• CarolLost.jpg
    CarolLost.jpg
    712.6 KB · Views: 107

mayberry66guy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil
OK. I had to run by Walmart to pick up a few things this evening. Here is their single-disc "Walmart Exclusive," version of the "Lost Episodes." It is selling for $9.95.

Based on the guests listed on the back, this is Disc 1 of the Large Lost Episodes set. While I am not sure what is exclusive about this set, the total time is 20 minutes longer than the single-disc being offered by Amazon. Note that the spot of color above Carol's head on the Walmart version is a blueish-purple, while the one on Amazon and Best Buy have the tangerine color from the 6-disc or 7-disc set.

If you look at the number circled on the back of the dvd case, this disc is "31119-X." If you look at the Disc number for the first disc of the 6-disc set, that number is "31247-X".

If I get the chance tomorrow, I will swing by Best Buy or Target to see what their single-disc editions look like. (Their websites have no information about the disc.)

Perhaps the broad release of the single-disc edition is NOT the first disc of the LOST set, thus making Walmart's edition an exclusive. Who knows.

Phil

Attachments

• LostWalmart.jpg
    LostWalmart.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
mayberry66guy said:
OK. I had to run by Walmart to pick up a few things this evening. Here is their single-disc "Walmart Exclusive," version of the "Lost Episodes." It is selling for $9.95.

Based on the guests listed on the back, this is Disc 1 of the Large Lost Episodes set. While I am not sure what is exclusive about this set, the total time is 20 minutes longer than the single-disc being offered by Amazon. Note that the spot of color above Carol's head on the Walmart version is a blueish-purple, while the one on Amazon and Best Buy have the tangerine color from the 6-disc or 7-disc set.

If you look at the number circled on the back of the dvd case, this disc is "31119-X." If you look at the Disc number for the first disc of the 6-disc set, that number is "31247-X".

If I get the chance tomorrow, I will swing by Best Buy or Target to see what their single-disc editions look like. (Their websites have no information about the disc.)

Perhaps the broad release of the single-disc edition is NOT the first disc of the LOST set, thus making Walmart's edition an exclusive. Who knows.

Phil

From the description, it looks like they added the "As The Stomach Turns" bonus sketch with the first appearance of Tim Conway's "Oldest Man" which actually appears in the Treasures from the Vault set in the big box. Chances are the other retailers single disc sets are simply the first disc of the LOST set as is.

tunesfan1

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
JohnMor said:
From the description, it looks like they added the "As The Stomach Turns" bonus sketch with the first appearance of Tim Conway's "Oldest Man" which actually appears in the Treasures from the Vault set in the big box. Chances are the other retailers single disc sets are simply the first disc of the LOST set as is.
Just a couple questions please John. Sorry for the bother.

First, thanks for the up to date list of the carol burnett show episodes, etc. on dvd(8/29/15). It's a great help. Have you pretty much determined that all the contents in both the Walmart single disc exclusive of the lost episodes and the Costco 7 disc exclusive set are in the big box set?

Lastly, do you have any idea if the complete outtake skit from show #717(2/2/1974), where Harvery forgets to change from his briefs, and the complete outtake skit from show #1108(11/5/77), the Siamese elephant story are contained on any of the Time Life bloopers and outtakes dvds that they've released so far? Thank you so much for all your time. It's greatly appreciated.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I can answer that.

No, neither the Elephant story nor Harvey in briefs have been released on any of the Time Life sets. Sorry.

The episode where the Family plays Password (the Elephant story) has not been released to DVD by anyone yet.

The episode where Harvey forgot to change to boxers is available both by Time Life and Columbia House. As far as I know, the outtake of Harvey in briefs has never been seen. Not even on bloopers shows. It has only been talked about.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
I could have sworn i've seen the Harvey in his briefs outtake on one of the reunion shows that was released on dvd. I mean it's not much, the pants tear and he realizes he is wearing briefs and grabs the pants to cover up and cracks up. I could be wrong and i've just heard about it enough i'm thinking i've seen it though.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
tunesfan1 said:
Just a couple questions please John. Sorry for the bother.

First, thanks for the up to date list of the carol burnett show episodes, etc. on dvd(8/29/15). It's a great help. Have you pretty much determined that all the contents in both the Walmart single disc exclusive of the lost episodes and the Costco 7 disc exclusive set are in the big box set?

Lastly, do you have any idea if the complete outtake skit from show #717(2/2/1974), where Harvery forgets to change from his briefs, and the complete outtake skit from show #1108(11/5/77), the Siamese elephant story are contained on any of the Time Life bloopers and outtakes dvds that they've released so far? Thank you so much for all your time. It's greatly appreciated.

Hi Ken,

Glad you liked the list. As far as the new Costco and Walmart exclusives go, no I have not had a chance to confirm that they contain only material from the big box. Based on descriptions, that seems to be the case though. Sad, since last time they both had exclusives that contained eps not found in the prior box set. I'm sure if I or anyone else confirms any exclusive content, we'll post about it immediately. But I'm not hopeful at this point.

It also appears that the prior Walmart exclusive of "This Time Together" which contained the Cher and Rita Moreno episodes, as well as a Family show, seems to be out of print now and replaced by a same-titled set pulled from the prior big box.

Paintbeanie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter
A clip from the Siamese elephant blooper is on the Carol Burnett Showstoppers DVD by paramount. It does not have the full clip of the blooper like I actually saw on YouTube but it has a large portion of it. I think Harvey's underwear blooper is also either on this or on the interviews in the timelife sets. It is probably the showstoppers DVD since Korman was discussing it before he did the clip. With the exception of the Siamese elephant blooper and a couple sketches, I have only seen the Carol Burnett Show when was released on DVD, and I know for a fact that I have seen the clip from that blooper, so it has to have been released on DVD.

Edit: I just checked, it is on Carol Burnett's show stoppers at 31:20.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks