What's new

TimeLife announces "The Lost Episodes" of The Carol Burnett Show (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I have now finished the final 6 disc set (Classic Carol).

There are only a couple of issues to report.

On Disc 13, Show 518 it seems to me that the ending cuts off rather abruptly. This may be an issue with the original tape. The fade out seemed rather quick and the music was still going when it seemed to cut off. Again, this could be a fault in the original tape.

On Disc 14, Show 419 there is a really bad audio drop out during the Carol and Sis sketch. This must be an issue with the original tape.

Other than those two minor things, everything else was just fine.

I have to say that this entire box set has been superb. I have really enjoyed seeing these episodes. I feel that season 2 was light on the number of episodes represented (only 6 episodes while seasons 1, 3-5 had at least 9 episodes each) and we only got one season opening show (the very first episode). Overall I think the entire set is a pretty good sampling of material that hasn't been seen in 40+ years. I would really like for Time Life to continue to issue box sets for this series. There is so much more that can (in terms of sales and interest) and should be released.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
One thing that I have really like about this box set is watching Vicki Lawrence and Lyle Waggoner become more and more part of the entire ensemble cast. Vicki pretty much goes from performing in just one sketch (Carol and Sis) to a more supporting role and top notch singer and dancer. Lyle goes from being the announcer and 'hunk in residence' to being a really good comic actor. He's never that good of a singer or dancer, but he certainly can hold his own when the need arises.

Watching the show evolve was just as interesting. The first couple of years it was finding it's format and direction, but it was never bad or dull. By the third season the show hit its stride and it pretty much continued that way until the final season. The loss of Harvey Korman left a hole that just never really got filled. Dick Van Dyke tried but he just didn't quite fit.

While I was watching this new set, I did recall seeing the segments where Carol was sitting on the staircase and reading letters from children. I must have seen a couple of those moments when they originally aired. Not the specific ones that are on this set, but in general those segments felt familiar. Since these were in seasons 4 and 5, I must have been watching the series as early and the fall of 1970. I would have been 4 and 5 years old when those seasons originally aired.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I'm watching them in airdate order and it's bringing back a lot of memories. I was eleven when the show started, old enough to have clear, vivid memories of even the earliest years. I do remember that the writing on the early seasons was different somehow -- a little more jokey with humor more reminiscent of burlesque than the later seasons that were syndicated.

I'm still in season one, as I'm trying to watch one a week. My goodness, the costumes and sets positively reek of 1967! That really was the peak year of what we've come to consider the late sixties before the hangover really set in with the King and Kennedy assassinations. I do remember how Vicki was basically used in the Carol and Sis sketches and not much else. And I do remember that after a few seasons, the show seemed to be on automatic pilot, with The Old Folks, As the Stomach Turns and Carol and Sis using the same jokes repeated over and over so that when new writers came on board later, it really reinvigorated the show.

What a treasure trove this is turning out to be! Wonderful memories.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
One of the things that I have really enjoyed (and had forgotten) is just how well Carol and Nanette Fabray worked together. The "Southern Belles" sketch from 10/12/70 was hysterical.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I had forgotten about the Fireside Chat sketches. I remember my parents getting quite a kick out of those when I was a kid.

And I have now discovered one my new all-time favorite CBS pieces: "El Trios Piccolo Piggos." LOVED it! Great piece.

Bobster

Grip
Real Name
Robert
Two questions...

1. JohnMor, any chance of getting an updated list including these? :)

2, Why is the first episode of the series marked "003"? Were there two pilots that didn't air?

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm not John but I can answer at least one of your questions.

The reason episode 1 is listed as 003 is that it was the third episode filmed/produced even thought it was broadcast first. This happens all too often with TV shows. Shows are produced and in the can but the network decides not to show it until later in the run. Star Trek did the same thing. The first episode aired was not the first episode produced.

As for an updated list, I'm not sure what list you might be referring to, but I have a complete list of every episode for all 11 years, guest stars, air dates and show numbers (for the ones that have been released). The list also shows what episodes have been released on DVD and if they are edited.

This list has been attached.

Attachments

• Carol Burnett Episode List.xlsx
    27.8 KB · Views: 213

Bobster

Grip
Real Name
Robert
Brian, my apologies and thank you; for some reason I thought John had done the list...and I had suspected as much about 003--does anyone know anything about 001 and 002? What was filmed or anything?

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Regarding shows 001 and 002, no unfortunately I don't have any information on them or which shows (based on air dates) that they are. I've tried to do some research on the series to fill in the rest of the show numbers on my list but there is limited information available. I've been having this problem for a while now. I've also been looking to fill in some of the gaps on the Carol Burnett & Friends episodes. Those episodes are not simply edited down versions of the original episodes. They are more of a patchwork quilt using sketches form several (sometimes three or four) different episodes just to make one single 30 minute episode. There is a book on variety shows that might have more information, but at the moment I do not have it. I hope to be able to get it soon. Anyway, researching this series has not been easy. For the most part, the only information readily available is what has been provided by Time Life and Columbia House with their DVD releases.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Do you mean the variety show reference book alluded to earlier in this discussion? I do have it and it's a great, though not infallible, resource. Alas, it does not include production numbers, so it probably wouldn't help with this particular question.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Bobster said:
Two questions...

1. JohnMor, any chance of getting an updated list including these? :)

2, Why is the first episode of the series marked "003"? Were there two pilots that didn't air?

Bobster said:
Brian, my apologies and thank you; for some reason I thought John had done the list...and I had suspected as much about 003--does anyone know anything about 001 and 002? What was filmed or anything?

Hi Bobster,

Yes, I did indeed create and share a list detailing all the released eps, along with which discs they appeared on (both Time-Life and Columbia/Guthy Renker releases) as well as both the tape dates and the air dates, episode numbers, guest stars and if they were edited. I am updating it to include these, but it probably won't be finished until this weekend. It does include info on eps 001 and 002. Of course, Brian's great list is essentially the same, albeit without the tape dates, and he beat me to it with including the "Lost" eps! :)

Bobster

Grip
Real Name
Robert
Okay so I'm only half crazy. :D

Another question--the same disc with Show #003 contains the Q&A uncut and she mentions at the end that they're going to do the Opening number.

But there wasn't one. Anyone know if it was used on another show?

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
FanCollector said:
Do you mean the variety show reference book alluded to earlier in this discussion? I do have it and it's a great, though not infallible, resource. Alas, it does not include production numbers, so it probably wouldn't help with this particular question.

Yes, that is the book I was referring too. It may not be much help with episode numbers, but I'm very hopeful it will help me in finding out what sketches made up the Carol Burnett & Friends episodes. More specifically, when those sketches originally aired in what original episode. Most of them I know, but there are many that I don't know.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Brian Himes said:
Yes, that is the book I was referring too. It may not be much help with episode numbers, but I'm very hopeful it will help me in finding out what sketches made up the Carol Burnett & Friends episodes. More specifically, when those sketches originally aired in what original episode. Most of them I know, but there are many that I don't know.
Yes, it will be helpful for those. The recurring sketches are often just listed by type (e.g. "Mrs. Wiggins sketch"), but it's pretty good about offering at least a couple of words about other sketches.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Bobster said:
--does anyone know anything about 001 and 002? What was filmed or anything?

Hi Bobster,

Episode 001 was taped on 8/19/67 and aired on 1/1/68. The guest stars were Mike Douglas and Lynn Redgrave.

Episode 002 was taped on 8/26/67 and aired on 11/20/67. The guest stars were Juliet Prowse and Martha Raye.

It's funny how the Jim Nabors episodes were never the first ones taped during any of the 11 seasons.

It's also interesting that the two season 9 Maggie Smith episodes were taped back to back in two successive weeks to accommodate Maggie's schedule, but weren't aired that way.

Paintbeanie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter
Steve...O said:
Costco has confirmed that an exclusive 7 disc set is coming in September. Great news!
I just wanted to ask where they confirmed it? I tried to look it up and could not find anything else on this.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Steve...O said:
Costco has confirmed that an exclusive 7 disc set is coming in September. Great news!
The more of these episodes that become available, the better. I will say that, selfishly, it is getting a little tiresome to keep paying $200 for the deluxe direct mail sets and then find that the exclusive bonuses go to a store I can't get to and which lacks an online option.

Paintbeanie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter
FanCollector said:
The more of these episodes that become available, the better. I will say that, selfishly, it is getting a little tiresome to keep paying $200 for the deluxe direct mail sets and then find that the exclusive bonuses go to a store I can't get to and which lacks an online option.
I agree. What bothers me more is the big set just came out less than a month ago and they might already be backstabbing their loyal customers. Before I say too much though I want to wait and see if this "bonus content" is new material or just other episodes from the main set itself. This is why I asked the person where they got the info from. I have done searches online to confirm this and find more info (which is interesting since I am not the best at online searches) but all I have found so far is a post made by timelife around August 17 on their Facebook in a response to a question saying there were no plans at that time for a Costco exclusive at that time, which someone mentioned earlier in this topic.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Costco announced this in their "Costco Connection" mailer that goes to members. Page 85 of the current issue. Exact release date is 9/15.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks