1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

TimeLife announces "The Lost Episodes" of The Carol Burnett Show

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by classicmovieguy, May 12, 2015.

1. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    Rob_Ray likes this.
  2. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Cinematographer

Rob Ray
    Great news! I remember watching the very first episode with Carol and guest Jim Nabors at a ski lodge. I remember the first (and possibly best) episode of AS THE STOMACH TURNS with Ginger Rogers and Martha Raye as guests. And other terrific episode with Nanette Fabray, which I hope will be included. I can't wait to get this set!

3. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    Hopefully this set includes the original "Mildred Fierce"...

MatthewA likes this.
  4. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    While I was vaguely hoping for full-season sets, I didn't really expect them and I am very excited to see these mostly hidden shows, as they haven't aired since before I was born.

5. Virgoan

Virgoan Supporting Actor

Ron Pulliam
    I wish someone would get through to Carol that we don't want a filter for her shows. Let us have the lot and make of them what we will. Her favorites won't necessarily be "your" favorites.

6. chadHobbick

chadHobbick Stunt Coordinator

Chad
    I have a feeling this is more or less just a sample of what is to come, something to whet our appetite while TL works on the more comprehensive mega set of the first five seasons. I just feel they will do a roll out like they did w/the first set, a mega set w/ different options and then they will do different variations of the mega set at retail.

7. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

I have a feeling that it isn't 100% just to be handpicked favourites, but I bet part of a collection like this has to do with the clearances. For all we know, there may be some episodes where the music publisher won't clear "their" song for any price (or for an astronomically-high one) and rather than edit the episodes, they just decided to choose episodes that can be cleared uncut affordably.

That being said, you know that they are definitely going to want to put some fan-favourite stuff on here to use in the TV promotional spots. You can bet there will probably be several Tim Conway episodes on here, especially ones that have more famous/stronger skits (like the Dentist Office one). They're also probably going to want to put shows on here who have some of the more mega-famous guest stars (and ones who would still be known names to most people who are alive right now). They're going to want to make this set relevant to the most people possible, and that might be hard to do if they simply released "season one".

I never expected a 'complete' set of the first five seasons (or even a complete single season). I'm actually kind of surprised anyone was expecting that, given the release history for this show.

8. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    Hopefully they will source some compilations by taking the best skits from the unclearable episodes. :)

JayHink likes this.
  9. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    I think this WILL be a set comparable to the mega-set, since the website specifies "The Lost Episodes will be released in a deluxe box set with collectible packaging and hours of exclusive bonus content."

AndyMcKinney and Rob_Ray like this.
  10. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    I don't really believe the "Carol's Favorites" line that they often use to describe these releases. TMK, Carol has no ownership or real control over anything anymore. They just need her name & ability to promote the releases for which I assume she's well compensated. These are likely just what they can clear the rights to.

Regardless, let's hope this means many more releases of both the early & later years of the show. I still don't expect full season sets but I'll gladly take these multi-episode sets.

*ear pull*

11. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    Regardless it's a lovely thing to have Carol's stamp of approval on these sets.

12. cherisland

cherisland Stunt Coordinator

Todd
  13. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Extras include the 1972 Once Upon a Mattress and Carol + 2!! So excited for this release!

One small caveat, though not a deal-breaker for me by any means, the third volume pointedly does NOT say uncut episodes in its description. This appears to follow the previous set where the edited eps all appear in one volume. Not sure how many, if any, are edited as most of them still list a finale.

mrz7 and cherisland like this.
  14. upperco

upperco Stunt Coordinator

Jackson Upperco
    The episodes included look fabulous. This may be the best classic TV release of the year...

cherisland likes this.
  15. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Placed my order for this set. Can't wait to get it and dive in.

I just hope that there are not any Costco or Walmart exclusive sets with additional episodes. I hate having to track those down. Especially Costco since I don't have one in my area.

16. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Me too! But there probably will be, just like last time.

17. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    However, I would welcome another set like the Carol's Crack-Ups set that would give us even more episodes from seasons 1-5.

Here is a spread sheet that I have worked on regarding this show. While it is far from complete, it is the best that I can come up with in regards to the information that I could find. Now, I made a couple of minor changes in regards to the new set that Time Life is releasing. On their site they list Season 1 episodes with a three digit number beginning with a zero and the season 2 episodes beginning with a one. So, I changed all of the season 1 and 2 episode numbers to match the season number. So, episode 3 is not listed as 003 but as 103, etc. Seasons 3-5 didn't need any changes since the episode numbers matched the season.

Also, here is a list of all of the episodes released to DVD to date. This might be a much easier way to see exactly what has been released.

Attached Files:

Rob_Ray and JohnMor like this.
  18. mrz7

mrz7 Second Unit

Scott Zuncic
    I am excited for the extras too JohnMor!!!! I just saw the "baby" sketch on YouTube for the first time with Carol and Lucille Ball from "Carol + 2" Special. Hysterical!!! Big Lucy fan here.....so I am definitely getting this set!!! Can't Wait!!!

MatthewA, Rob_Ray and JohnMor like this.
  19. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    Brian, thanks for the clear and helpful lists! Makes the confusing releases of this show a little less impenetrable.

Two small changes I caught (unless I am mistaken) were in the 11th season list. Time/Life has issued the October 1 and October 8 shows (1103 and 1105) as part of Carol's Crack Ups. And conversely, Time Life has not released the March 12, 1978 episode (1122), although they included a couple of individual sketches from it as bonus material.

Also, the totals don't quite tally. Counting the forthcoming early episodes set, Time/Life will have released a total of 122 episodes, not 119. (45 from seasons 1-5 and 77 from 6-11.) Columbia House has released 8 episodes that Time/Life hasn't, bringing the total number of released episodes to 130.

Please check me on those details, as I have now made your spreadsheet my official checklist for the show.

20. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Yeah...I goofed on the totals. I did that just before I went to bed and was really tired. I have since corrected it.

I'll have to check on the rest of the stuff. I probably did make mistakes.

I just double checked the episodes you mentioned and yes, I goofed up on those. Episodes 1103 and 1105 were exclusive to Time/Life and episode 1122 was exclusive to Columbia House (Vol. 15). I have fixed those on my master copy as well as the totals. Thanks for catching those errors. I need to have the most complete version as possible for my own reference.