What's new

Timeless New Acquisitions! (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Neil Brock said:
Really, if you want those later seasons that badly, you gotta go Madman. I picked up seasons 5,6 & 7 at a great price in Australia. .
I have uncut boots from satellite airings in Canada that I can play on any machine which makes the idea of getting a R4 release I can only play on one machine a waste of money. McCloud S1 is the only foreign region release I have ever gotten and that was only to get the uncut versions of the 60 minute episodes which aren't available anywhere else. For me, the foreign region market is a last resort area for material totally unavailable even in boot form in this area, but the only releases of "Ironside" I want at this point are new R1 sets to replace the boots which while adequate are never going to be as good as an official release.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Good news about Bearcats, I'm a fan of Rod Taylor and still hope his rare show Hong Kong (1960-61) could get a decent release but alas it's Fox I think so we might as well be wishing for snow in California. Real snow, that is. Some other titles they could look into; Iron Horse, Sixth Sense, Born Free, Road West, Name of the Game, O'Hara U.S. Treasury, Griff, Hagen, Sierra, Lucas Tanner, Nobody's Perfect (1980), Owen Marshall...and I'm getting carried away here.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Henry, that show The Sixth Sense (1971-72) sounds like a good paranormal drama series. If the rights were available, another vote for this series to get a release by Timeless.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Neil Brock said:
Straight from the horses mouth, Timeless may be going the way of the dial telephone but if they are, they are at least going to go out with a bang. I've just learned that they have signed deals and have acquired the following series for release:
Bearcats!
Tombstone Territory
West Point
Harbor Command
Science Fiction Theatre
Stoney Burke
MacKenzie's Raiders
Lee Marvin Presents The Lawbreakers
Target
Some big surprises on there. I have a friend who is a Ziv fanatic who was jumping for joy as he has never even seen Target as there has never been one episode to surface of that show on film or on air in the taping era. Absent are the "big 3" Ziv titles but word on the street is that they have been picked up by another entity.
So are you saying that you heard that someone other than MGM MOD is going to release Highway Patrol? That would be very good news.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
JoeDoakes said:
So are you saying that you heard that someone other than MGM MOD is going to release Highway Patrol? That would be very good news.
Yes, but I do not know who.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Jack P said:
I have uncut boots from satellite airings in Canada that I can play on any machine which makes the idea of getting a R4 release I can only play on one machine a waste of money. McCloud S1 is the only foreign region release I have ever gotten and that was only to get the uncut versions of the 60 minute episodes which aren't available anywhere else. For me, the foreign region market is a last resort area for material totally unavailable even in boot form in this area, but the only releases of "Ironside" I want at this point are new R1 sets to replace the boots which while adequate are never going to be as good as an official release.
Not sure how much of a difference there is, unless your off air set is compressed, which may be the case as so many of these morons record at lesser speeds even though good discs are 30 cents these days. Anyway, off-air or DVD release, they are all using the same 20-30 year old one-inch tape masters as their source so the quality isn't going to be much different.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm aware the source material would be the same. These boots put on average four episodes per disc which is so-so overall, but the best that could be done since I didn't do this myself. Similarly, I have the remainder of Big Valley from Encore, three episodes per disc but I desperately want to toss them for a legit R1 set someday beacuse the difference in overall quality is better even when starting with the same source material (not to mention being bug-free too).
Foreign regions are no option at all for me unless it's something truly unique and aside from McCloud S1 there hasn't been anything like that for me (I also despise PAL speedup but that's another matter).

moviepas

Supporting Actor
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Really, if you want those later seasons that badly, you gotta go Madman. I picked up seasons 5,6 & 7 at a great price in Australia. Unfortunately, they don't sell it as cheaply online as they do in their stores. Season 8 hasn't been out that long so its still pricey but hopefully that'll come down next time I visit down under.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I am not sure what you know about Madman but they are in my city and I have known of the owner for years and he was notorious but I won't go into this here. He did have a record store near me years ago and, in fact, I bought my first sets of the TV themes LPs from him before they made a TV advertised special of some of the material way back when. Madman is often used for Asian material, in particular, Japan animation sets. They are also Umbrella/The AV Channel. They do get 3rd party rights from Fox & Universal and have some BBC. They have also had Blu Rays not available elsewhere. They have no shops but on-lines sell these items at all prices. Some have shops but I have been doing surveys for the boys from Seattle and if they set up here it may well be curtains for many chains selling CDs & DVDs etc. Having said that Costco opening here has not altered our grocery buying & the major chains(two only with over 80% of the market) are currently at war and I am involved with surveys on that one too.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I have bought some of that company's TV series box sets from a woman in a housing unit(garage sale) about a mile from my home about a year ago. The stuff was still stretched wrapped and a huge bargain. I tried to get info from her but she was not open about it. I do a Sunday market which my family has done for over 32 years and the good years have gone long ago. One of the founders, who sold out a few years ago, just the past week come down with a brain tumor. Anyway, a guy has turned up for January in the past 3 years selling these sets and single DVDs of other stuff at cheap prices but I don't buy as they are in the blazing sun. I am in a shed so I have not got this problem but I hardly sell discs but rather other junk and little of it. We are retiring soon. I have bought scores of this company's jazz compilation DVDs and local movies at $2.50 each from shops that sell newspapers etc. I have not seen Ironside in the local city owned libraries of which I belong to three different libraries which have multiple branches that I visit. [/COLOR]

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
JoeDoakes said:
Neil Brock said:
Yes, but I do not know who.
How many players are there in the Classic TV DVD Game at this point who does licences products - Besides Timeless & Shout?

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Not to be potentially bad-mouthing Image, but for as fine a job as they may do on some of their products, unless it's very high profile, it does not stay on sale very long. Imagine my shock today to see all three seasons of I Spy have been discontinued. Granted, not a best seller, but still. And that's only been on sale for the last five years.

Again, not a bad mouth, but be aware, if Image puts out a lesser known title, move on it quick.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
MattPeriolat said:
Not to be potentially bad-mouthing Image, but for as fine a job as they may do on some of their products, unless it's very high profile, it does not stay on sale very long. Imagine my shock today to see all three seasons of I Spy have been discontinued. Granted, not a best seller, but still. And that's only been on sale for the last five years.
Again, not a bad mouth, but be aware, if Image puts out a lesser known title, move on it quick.
I Spy came out over 10 years ago. Even the 3 box sets came out in 2002. Yes, you have to move quickly, as in try not to wait more than a decade.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I believe he means the 2008 repackagings by Image. I just noticed that Season 3 is only available used at Amazon from $41 which means that went out of print for some reason, though Seasons 1 and 2 are still in print.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Jack P said:
I believe he means the 2008 repackagings by Image. I just noticed that Season 3 is only available used at Amazon from $41 which means that went out of print for some reason, though Seasons 1 and 2 are still in print.
Might that just be an indicator that their licensing agreement ran out? Maybe they only licensed it for 10 years. I think there are probably only a handful of titles that are continually re-licensed (Dark Shadows, Twilight Zone), which is why they probably don't mind putting so much cost into maintaining/restoring them.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
WaveCrest said:
Henry, that show The Sixth Sense (1971-72) sounds like a good paranormal drama series. If the rights were available, another vote for this series to get a release by Timeless.
It is, I'd say a more intellectual show really than pure action. The prints I've seen all look fantastic so the picture quality shouldn't be any problem, whoever gives it a go.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Neil Brock /t/320902/timeless-new-acquisitions/30#post_3929819
I Spy came out over 10 years ago. Even the 3 box sets came out in 2002. Yes, you have to move quickly, as in try not to wait more than a decade.

Read the sig line. I only have so much money and some shows have to take priority. The last release of I Spy by Image was released in 2008 which was five years ago and again, I personally think is awfully fast to go out of print. My wish is if Image is going to do things on a limited basis that they be upfront about it.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
MattPeriolat said:
Read the sig line. I only have so much money and some shows have to take priority. The last release of I Spy by Image was released in 2008 which was five years ago and again, I personally think is awfully fast to go out of print. My wish is if Image is going to do things on a limited basis that they be upfront about it.
I don't think any of the independents license in anything but a limited basis. A few titles are worth continually renewing but for the most part the majority all run their cycle and go OOP unless someone else picks them up (that's at least how I understand it). So if Image licensed for 10 years or two 5 years increments (or some variation thereof) they probably felt they got what they could get from it and decided they had to move on. They can't be expected to continue to pay out licensing fees if the revenue per year keeps going down. I remember picking my sets up probably around 5 years ago for $10 a season.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by smithb /t/320902/timeless-new-acquisitions/30#post_3930081
I don't think any of the independents license in anything but a limited basis. A few titles are worth continually renewing but for the most part the majority all run their cycle and go OOP unless someone else picks them up (that's at least how I understand it). So if Image licensed for 10 years or two 5 years increments (or some variation thereof) they probably felt they got what they could get from it and decided they had to move on. They can't be expected to continue to pay out licensing fees if the revenue per year keeps going down. I remember picking my sets up probably around 5 years ago for $10 a season.
Very true, I'm just kicking myself for it now. It's not the end of the world, it's not being horribly overpriced in the secondhand market. Just one of those shows I kind of looked the other way on while focusing on higher profile (and no doubt, longer available) projects.

Lesson learned the hard way. Don't procrastinate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks