Timed Shutdown

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Louisp, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Louisp

Louisp Stunt Coordinator

Louis Patrick
    Due to my handicap I need a device that will shut off, without daily human intervention, the power to my TV and other HT hardware at a pre-set time each day. My gear includes -

SONY KDFE42A10 HDTV
    HARMON KARDON AVR 525
    DENON DVD 2200
    DIRECTV HDTV RECEIVER H10
    MONSTER 3600 POWER CENTER

THANKS,

2. Louisp

Louisp Stunt Coordinator

Louis Patrick
    If a timer is used will my Monster Power Center still be able to protect my equipment from surges when it is turned off?

3. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Good question, but I would think your equipment would be safe and for two reasons. first since the circuit is broken due to the timer. Second even if it bypasses the timer your surge protector should in theory stop any surge whether it has power or not. I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong.

4. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

A good timer has a good mechanical relay in it that doesn't bounce, will protect anything behind it short of a lightning strike while it's off.

We've got a bunch of Torx clocks with DPDT relays in it; you could also have it 'switch' the neutral for more isolation, and be, again, short a lightning strike, about as good as unplugged.

In your list, I don't see anything I'd be concerned about switching through a relay. The only thing that might be a concern is how many of those things would loose their memories for being 'unplugged' overnight.

Where I work, we have tons of stuff with power-control via relay. That is the least cause of harm to the equipment we're running out of all the factors... (naturally, projectors are not switched that way.)

Leo Kerr