What's new

Time Warner HD sevice in Houston (1 Viewer)

JoeWat

Auditioning
I'm looking for someone in the Houston/Katy area that is using Time Warner HD service who can give some comments on the service and qaulity of the HD.

THanks

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I've had the HD service for just under a month now, and I have no complaints thus far with Time Warner(and you can't say that very often).

I do however have issues with the lack of available channels and the fact that every station other than Showtime broadcasts 2.35:1 films in 1.78:1 mode so it fills the TV screen.

But I guess at only 5 bucks a month, I can't really complain about it. Hopefully they'll add a few more channels over the next year.

JoeWat

Auditioning
Not sure what you mean by every station other than Showtime broadcasts 2.35:1 films in 1.78:1 mode so it fills the TV screen.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
What I mean is that they crop off part of the picture so the frame fills the entire screen. It's essentially Pan & Scam, although not to the degree it is on 4:3 TV sets.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
A couple weeks ago, CBS and ABC aired Tomorrow Never Dies and Armagodawful respectively and both were shown in 1.78:1 despite having an OAR of 2.35:1.

I'm not insisting these stations do this every single time a 2.35:1 movie is aired, but it does happen at an alarmingly high rate. And it's odd that they'd do something like this to appease J6P when you consider that the folks shelling out for HDTV's and HD tuners are likely to be OAR enthusiasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks