Time Warner has me irritated!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Adil M, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

My roommates and I have been living in this house for 1.5 yrs now. We have had to call TWC averaging once a week. The cable was completely screwed up and we had to explain to the newbie installer how to do it and the expert guy too (month), then the road line got cut (2 monthe problem), power amplifier needed (3 week approval process), regular Road Runner cutting out all the time, etc for this whole period. They gave us a 2 week credit one month after hours on phone. This is a very long history. The phone time and lies is not worth the BS credit.
    This had been going on for so long we switched to Directv and took the TWC HD cable box and shoved it to minimize our support of this fraud.
    Unfortunately, we cannot get DSL in the area. We have to keep Road Runner or switch to dial-up. We also do the majority of work out of the house. Internet is important.

So, RRunner goes out this day, yesterday. We call and schedule to have someone come out. We are here waiting all day. We call at 4 PM to find out that "someone from our household called and cancelled the appointment." My roommate responds that clearly no one called and cancelled and what possessed them to say that $#@! to him. They told him they would get someone who is on call to come look at it that day. No one came.
    They lied again... surprise.
    My roommate gets fed up and we have talked to many TWC installers plus have had to show them how to install it in the first place in our house, so he walks out to the cable post by the road and takes a look at it. This is what one does when cable installers keep telling you stuff like "Oh, the wire was loose" again and again. Plus, it overlaps w/ our line of work.
    He finds a cable filter in the post by the road and almost explodes. He calls TWC and starts ranting to find out that they had sent someone out there that morning to put the filter there.
    The filter is designed to make sure we can get our "high speed" internet, but not the cable tv.
    He told them that he has the filter and he setup an appointment for the next day so they can pick up the filter and put in a new one, but they had to make sure it did not cutoff the RRunner by calling ahead. Pretty much he explained we do not need to steal their BS subpar cable. Seems like a reasonable sol'n to assinine behavior by TWC. The next day our TWC internet was out again. We promptly walked out and removed another BS filter which had been installed in some stealth manner. Now the internet works.

What does one do here? Can we press legal action here?
    They are hindering us w/ their gross incompetence.

2. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    In California, we have a state agency called the California Public Utilities Commission. I had a problem with a DSL install by PacBell at work. After two weeks of trying they still hadn't managed to get our DSL working and in the mean time had disabled one of my company's phone lines. Our plant manager called the PUC and filed a complaint. Within a few hours of that, a Vice President of PacBell (now SBC) called to find out what the problem was. A few hours after talking with her, we had our DSL up and running. I am not sure how PacBell found out about the complaint so quickly but that was all it took.

Check and see if your state has a similar agency and file a complaint with them.

-Keith

3. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

I'm not too sure, but I think this is illegal. Technically (even though you aren't actaully doing it, as you have DirectTV), you're stealing cable by removing that filter.

4. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Mark, I think you're right. However, what I would do is, after following Keith's advice, is to make another appt with TWC. Then, just reattach the filter right before they show up. That way they can come and fix it "for real" but you don't have to put up with the outtage in the interim. [​IMG]

5. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I don't envy you one bit having to deal with TWC. We will never willingly give them our money again. Several years ago, we had their regular cable. We decided to upgrade to digital.

We had recently bought a nice, massive entertainment stand. This thing was about 7' high, and 9' wide. It was quite heavy, and very difficult to move. Before the installer got there, I moved it a foot or two away from the wall. I didn't want to move it any further if I didn't have to.

The installer showed up and told me that it was fine as it was. However, when he got to the point of having to run the phone line to the box, he needed it moved out further. I started moving it, but apparently I wasn't moving it quickly enough for him. I had to switch from side to side to make sure it came out evenly. While I was moving from one side to the other, the installer got annoyed, pushed me out of the way, and said, "Here, I'll get it." He grabbed the rightmost segment, gave it a yank, and it separated from the rest of the unit, doing permanent damage.

I was outraged. The guy started apologizing profusely. He asked me how much it cost, then told me not to worry, and that they would replace it. He quickly finished the installation and said he had to run to the truck for my paperwork. He got back and kept telling me they'd make good on the entertainment center. He kept me talking, and had me sign the various lines and boxes that I needed to sign. He then told me to sign this one box, which would confirm that he was responsible, and that TWC would reimburse me for the entertainment center. I was still extremely angry, and didn't think too much of the fact that I was signing a big, empty box.

The installer ran out to his van with the paperwork. About ten minutes later, he came back up on the porch, told me his manager would be contacting me, then slipped me my paperwork and literally ran. Confused by his running, I looked over the paperwork. The big empty box I'd signed now had writing in it. It said, basically, that the customer (me) had damaged the furniture on his own, and took full responsibility for it.

I immediately called the local TWC and asked for the manager. When the manager got on the phone, he was instantly confrontational. He started cussing me out, saying that I had no right to verbally abuse his installer and make false accusations. Turns out the installer had called his manager, told him that I had damaged the furniture, signed the paper, then tried to get him to take the blame so I could get a new one free. When he refused, according to him, I started cussing him out and making threats against him. A very heated argument ensued, but nothing came of it. I wrote several letters, also to no gain, and received the standard help from the BBB, which is none at all.

Not having any other cable outlets in the area, we kept the service for a few months, and finally switched to Dish Network. The last contact I had with TWC was when a guy came around door to door last spring and asked me if I wanted to switch to them. I had some colorful language for him. He apologized for my past treatment, but then agreed that, if he were in the same situation, he'd never deal with the company again.

6. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Wow, Scott, that was criminal! I can't believe they got away with that. Well I should say, I guess I can believe it. It's just really sad when you know it's a whole scam and the manager and installer were in on it. I sure hope that it's not company policy [​IMG]

7. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

Looking back, I should have reported them to the Attorney General's office, but it never crossed my mind.

8. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

TWC is indeed the worst. The story with Scott is the worst, that's just hard to believe. I would have fought that to my dieing breath.

I see myself being in Adil's exact situation pretty soon, as I can not deal with the incompetence of TWC. The idiots here in my city constantly forget to turn on the HD broadcast. So all the HD football games were in standard def yesterday, including the world series. But all the cable HD broadcast were fine (HBO,INHD). The local TWC always screw up the local HD broadcast, sometimes picture no sound, or no sound and no picture, or sound and picture but not HD. I hope they have their shit together tonight, because this will be the first time the Bengals play on Monday night in like 18 years and it better be in freaking HD or I will be getting rid of TWC tomorrow!!!

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Scott, that's a terrible story. I do not blame you for being furious with TWC.

Adil, have you checked into getting your Internet access via DirecTV? They've been advertising ISP via their satellite service lately. I do not know the particulars, but was thinking of checking into it for my parents, who live in rural northern Michigan.