What's new

Time Warner Explorer 8000 in HOUSE (1 Viewer)

Pete_Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Well after reading alot of posts here and the Tivo community I decided to give Time Warners Explorer 8000 a try.

I wanted to get DirectTivo but the wife likes to tape local stations and there was no way to do it and didn't want to shell out the bucks for a SA Tivo so I decided with the 8000. I live just north of Syracuse in Oswego NY and they just got the 8000's Monday and I was first in the whole area to sign up(woohoo) on Friday. After wiring it up through the tangled weave of spaghetti behind the components rack I only got to play with it for a little bit.

Having not ever tried Tivo or Replay I must say I like it very much and so does the rest of the family. I still have alot to learn but It doesn't seem like it is going to be that difficult. I haven't yet recorded anything but have been playing with the pause and rewind etc and that seems to work great.

I am paying an additional $6.95 for the 8000 and $5.something for Digital cable bringing the grand total to around $50.

Everyone probably knows it records 2 shows at once like the directTivo and has Digital Audio out which I have hooked into my Denon 4800. All in All I like it so far will keep you posted and will answer any questions I can.

Thanks

Pete

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered one as well, from TWC San Antonio. It will be installed on Monday. I'm pretty excited about it! She said it is Dolby Digital 5.1 as well. I'm only getting 5.1 on a few channels now, like SOME HBO's, Showtimes, & The Movie Channel. Very few movies / programs are 5.1. I'm wondering if it's my box, or the programming. I'm betting that my results will be the same with the new box.

Pete_Jr

Stunt Coordinator
I think its the programming. I only have been playing with it for a few days but like you said, HBO and some other movie channels have the 5.1. Some of the other "Digital" channels do play back on my receiver as Digital Stereo but the cable channels I had before going to Digital cable still are an analog signal.

It also has an S-Video out which is nice. I have it hooked up so I can still use my TV's PIP then use the boxes PIP which gives me 3 channels to watch at the same time. I have the Toshiba 56" widescreen and the PIP is split screen which is cool so I wanted to keep that feature.

Let me know how you like it!

Pete

Pete_Jr

Stunt Coordinator
You would need the Explorer 3100HD but not sure if every cable provider has these. You can check all these out at scientificatlanta.com

Pete

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
Iv'e had the 8000 for about a month now (actually have 2 of them) and am very happy that I decided to get it. Never got around to buying a Tivo or Replay tv, but my VCR finally bit the dust and I really didn't want to replace it. This was a great solution. My only real gripe with it is that it doens't have an optical out, only coax and my current receiver doesn't have assignable inputs. I have a coax to optical converter but I really wish I didn't have to use it. Still, for the cost it's worthwhile.

I'll have to talk to my TW office and see if they are going to offer the HD version.

MarcW

Agent
I checked on scientificatlanta.com and the 8000 is not HD capable =( I currently have a 3100HD and am enjoying HD broadcasts from TW. I'd love to have the capabilities of the 8000 but not if I have to sacrifice HD.

-MarcW

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Interesting statement Marc ...

I wonder if you'd say the same thing if you actually used a PVR for awhile. Although all of us of course want both HD + PVR, I'd wager that the vast majority who have tried a PVR would sacrifice HD for PVR capability in a heartbeat, if forced to choose. Watching shows completely under control, on your own schedule, commercial-free, is quite compelling. OTOH, a sitcom doesn't get any funnier in high-def.

If my cable company offered it, I'd probably shell out for separate boxes if I had to, watching my favorite HD shows live and the PVR for the rest.

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
I actually picked it up in person yesterday. Quite cool! It is a bit LARGER than the 2000 though. I've already set up all my shows, FINALLY I CAN UNPLUG THE VCR! I am having problems setting up the new remote to control my stuff. It wants to work about half assed. As far as the unit goes, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (if you already have cable). I would rather have a directivo, but I'm moving soon. Perfect short term (?) solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks