What's new

Time Warner DVR Questions... (1 Viewer)

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator
1: Are they nationized, so I know that I will be getting the SA 8000 or whatever? Or do differant areas use differant boxes?

2: Is it possible to export to the computer? Even just by Composite outputs? Or it there some kind of copyright protection that will rain on my parade?

3: There's no option to only record new episodes? So if I were to say program Stargate SG-1 that plays a dozen times a week I will have to sift through all those old episodes that I already have on DVD to find the new episode? Is there an option to just do timer recordings instead?

Thanks...

Jim Rondeau

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew,

1: I beleive the boxes are the same everywhere. Here in Maine we have the 8000, 8000HD and 8300HD. The main difference between the two HD boxes is the 8300HD has an HDMI connection.

2: You can export via composite outputs (they are labeled VCR Archive, but it can be any recording device.). You just go in the recorded programs list and choose 'Copy to VCR'. Of course it takes as long as the show is to copy, but you can still watch regular TV or another recorded program while archiving.

3: There is no option to record only new episodes, but you can choose to just have it record the episodes that are scheduled for a certain timeslot each day. So if you want the SG-1 that is 8:00-9:00 on Friday, you will get all SG-1s that air from 8:00-9:00 each day (so you would get the Monday one also). Not perfect, but better than getting all of them. You can also do a timer recording, but I beleive it's on time only, not daily or weekly like a VCR.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, thanks that helped a lot. I am back and forth between TiVo and DVR. I am back on TiVo, though since is seems better and I can't really see any cons...plus I'd own the box instead of rent it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks