What's new

Time Warner Digital Cable (1 Viewer)

zeta

Auditioning
Hello all. Sorry for the long post :)

New here to the Forum but not new to PC building.

My question is does anyone have any experience building a DIY DVR to work with Time Warner Digital Cable. Before I invest $$$ I want to make sure it's gonna work well. I have some parts from previous builds but will probably still need to buy some new parts.
@ present I have an ASUS A7v266 MB, Antec True 550 PSU, AMD Palamino 2000+, ATI AIW 8500, 512MB PC2700 RAM CD/RW, 2x 40 GB HD's.
My plan is to hook this up in my living room to the TWNYC cable box. I will then use my Wireless G network to send the recodings to my main PC in the bedroom which has a XFX 6600GT as its Video card. This PC is connected to my TV for viewing.

I know I will need @ the minimum a new case, wireless G card, and most likely a PVR card so before I run off and spend the$$$ I want to make sure it's not wasted.

Thanks

Zetachi

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Please post this sort of question in the appropriate hardware-related area, which is this one. The Basics area is not -- I repeat, not -- for shopping advice. It is for general discussion about home theater at the beginner level. Thank you.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Zeta:

I guess I am not to sure what you are really planning to do. Are you wanting to plug the output off your cable box into a computer than you then turn around and send the signal from its input to your other computer that is hooked up to your TV?

Why not just take the cable box into the same room as your computer and TV in your bedroom? Are you wanting to record shows on a PC in your living room and then be able to stream them to your bedroom setup?

If you are wanting to record a show in your living room and then stream it to your bedroom I would build your HTPC in the living room with a tuner card like the Hauppauge PVR500MCE. Then I would wait for the XBox 360 to come out in December and use it as an extender or have Windows MCE on both computer and let them talk to each other.

Another group of guys to talk about this with are the guys with 2 Parts Fusion and they have a nice forum area where you can get some answers to what you are trying to accomplish. Look for Harris or Matt to give some really good ideas. They really know their stuff.

Parker

zeta

Auditioning
I guess I am not to sure what you are really planning to do. Are you wanting to plug the output off your cable box into a computer than you then turn around and send the signal from its input to your other computer that is hooked up to your TV?
I want to have a PVR PC in the living cable into this PC to record. Then share this with PC in Bedroom over wireless network.

Why not just take the cable box into the same room as your computer and TV in your bedroom? Are you wanting to record shows on a PC in your living room and then be able to stream them to your bedroom setup?

sort of I have only one cable box that needs to stay in living room for kids to watch. After recording I will use home network to sed to bedroom so I can watch it there.

If you are wanting to record a show in your living room and then stream it to your bedroom I would build your HTPC in the living room with a tuner card like the Hauppauge PVR500MCE. Then I would wait for the XBox 360 to come out in December and use it as an extender or have Windows MCE on both computer and let them talk to each other.

Another group of guys to talk about this with are the guys with 2 Parts Fusion and they have a nice forum area where you can get some answers to what you are trying to accomplish. Look for Harris or Matt to give some really good ideas. They really know their stuff.

What I really want to know is how well PVR's work with Digital cable since most of the channels are scrambled and have to go through the box. Even the channles that are not scrambled don't come out on the right channels without a box ie cbs which is ch 2 in NY comes out on channel 12 on the tv. etc.

thanks and I'll check out that other forum.

Zetachi

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Zeta:

When you set up a PVR with an HTPC you tell it that you have a particular channel line up to your use. In your case you would tell it that you have Time Warner Cable in New York and your cable channel line up would show up. Then from the channel lineup you would pick the show you wanted to record. You would plug an IR cable into your HTPC and put the other end over the control on your cable TV box. The HTPC would then send the correct signal to your cable box and would change it to the appropriate channel for you.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks