What's new

Time Warner Cable on (which) RPTV (1 Viewer)

Honza

Auditioning
Our old TV is finally giving up after 10 years, and I decided to get a RPTV (plasma is too much $$$ and LCDs scare me because of bad pixels). I am undecided as to which model, depending on several factors. Any shared experiences and input will be welcome.

1) Time Warner Cable - what format do they use for HDTV channels, how do their 'regular' digital channels look on HDTV, and how does the rest of non-digital channels look?

2) DVI connectivity - does it really improve picture quality over using component input? (and does TW HDTV box have DVI)

3) Sets - based on the comments here and from what I have seen in the stores, I am leaning towards the Toshiba 82 line (is HD basically HDX w/o DVI ?), Hitachi (SWX20B or UWX20B - are the extra $$ justified for SWX ?), or possibly considering a Mitsubishi which I believe displays 480p natively (if upconversion is a big issue).

4) Finally, how big? We'll sit probably 9-12 ft from the screen, so I am thinking 50-53". I am afraid anything bigger would just be too big.

Thanks,
- Honza

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I just got the Panasonic PT-53WX52 about a week ago and have Time Warner cable. I was really worried about the quality from what I had read.

Although I'm sure it will vary with the quality/strength of signal you are receiving, here is what I have seen.

Right now I just have regulary analog cable hooked up and for the most part all the channels come in much better than expected. There is some decrease in quality versus a tube, but the picture is very good.

I'm getting the HDTV receiver tonight, so I can't comment on the digital/HDTV set top box yet. I'll post more on that after I see it.

I sit about 12.5 feet back and the 53" screen is just right, IMHO. I'm glad I didn't go any smaller.

Ming Wang

Agent
I have panny 53wx42 with time warner. the analog and digital channels are acceptable. true HD programs are great most of time. but sometimes you can feel the program got compressed a little too much. some 4:3 programs showing on HD channels have bad color though, kind of dark and blue.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I also have the same TV w/ TWC and their HD service, and I agree w/ Ming in general. FWIW, I don't use the stretch modes for 4x3 content though.

_Man_

Flak

Grip
I have a jvc 56wp30 and use time warner digital cable and also get my local hd channels through time warner. I sit 9ft from the tv and my cable signal strength is -2db. When I was going through the process of choosing a tv my big decision ended up being between the tosh 57hdx82 and this jvc. The tosh and jvc had the best stretch modes for 4:3 content and to me looked better than the others I was comparing to with cable (hit uwx,swx,xwx and mits 55511 and 55411). I ended up going with the jvc because the price is unbeatable and I think it had slightly better stretch than the tosh for 4:3 content. But then again this is just my opinion after being able to compare all the tvs at the same store sitting next to each other and having the opportunity to "tweak" each set.

Jason Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
1) I have the 57H82 and find that the best picture for anything but HD comes from a coax connection using the TVs internal cable decoder. Only drawback is you lose the guide feature of the cable box - if you want that just connect the cable box to ANT2 and it'll be fine. For HD stuff you have to use component cables (provided by TW, though they're pretty cheap, they work OK for me...) I get all of the major broadcast stations in Orlando, but your market may vary. They look pretty good, but like the previous post said, some shows are better than others. Most stuff is just upconverted standard definition stuff, so it won't look TOO much better (especially if you stretch it). What really shines are programs MADE for HDTV (CSI, Tonight Show, etc) or the HDTV loop (gasp :D ) But overall, most digital cable channels (other than HD) look ok, but a little soft (fuzzy/out of focus). The farther away you sit, the better it looks.

2) DVI does not provide a better picture over component cables with today's broadcasts or DVDs. I've read that most that have seen it side-by-side were hard pressed to see a difference. Perhaps someday it will help, but I doubt you'll be using the same TV by the time it is really used by more than a handfull or channels. The only thing it will truly provide is pay-per-view, and unless you're a PPV junkie, that isn't worth it in my book. Don't forget, just because it can "support" a better signal, doesn't mean shows will be produced with the type of camera required, or that TW won't overcompress the signal to allow more channels into the mix, thus removing any benifit from the DVI connection anyway...

3)
(SWX20B or UWX20B - are the extra $$ justified for SWX ?), or possibly considering a Mitsubishi which I believe displays 480p natively (if upconversion is a big issue).
I don't think these sets are worth the money. They both have their own set of problems. And the 540 upconversion is not that big a deal with the 82 series. Properly calibrated you don't notice it. (And you can calibrate it yourself using tweaks found here and at hometheaterspot).

I decided it just wasn't worth the money to get a Mitsu or Hitachi. The Toshiba is generally regarded online as having the best stretch mode too (but check it out yourself, you may feel otherwise). And you WILL want to stretch it. Not only does this reduce burn-in, it also fills the screen. Why get widescreen if you're not gonna use it? And YES, you will get used to the stretch. I put my old 36" 4x3 TV in the bedroom, and sometimes find myself saying "why do those people look so thin?" :) Properly calibrated, any HDTV will look good, so no matter what you get it will basically look the same, just the other brands cost more $$.

4) I sit a little over 9 feet, and waffled between the 50, 53, 56, or 57 inch sets for a few weeks. I ultimately decided the reason I was going to a set bigger than my 36" was to get a BIGGER set, so I sucked it up and got the 57H82. When they brought it in, it seemed pretty big. But after 3 weeks, I'd say it's perfect size. Sometimes I even wish I could have gone 65". Once you get one in your house, it's amazing how quick it becomes the "incredible shrinking TV". If you're gonna be between 9-12 feet, go as big as you can afford. Cable will look a little worse at 9ft with a 65", but you'll thank yourself in the long run.

Honza

Auditioning
Thanks for your comments (quite a few Panasonic fans ;) ). Glad to hear that up-conversion is not a big issue. I also revised my 'specs' to 50-57" :D .

We are going to hit the stores tomorrow to compare different sets. After reading various posts, Toshibas are still at the top of my list (leaning toward HDX at the moment, although I've seen some comments about a flicker problem with this model?).

Anyone from San Diego area who can tell me what HDTV box Time Warner uses?

Honza

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks