What's new

TIME TUNNEL! - Where Are You? (1 Viewer)

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Well, I'd have to say that with LIS, S1 came across as sub-standard and got progressively worse. It's not that the B&W episodes looked poor, it's just that my expectations were higher. I remember when I watched episode #2 ("The Derelict") I had a sinking feeling about the remaining segments, but as it turned out, that was the one standout for poor print quality. I'm still very disappointed in S3 in light of the stellar quality we've seen on TT. If only "Visit to a Hostile Planet" could look like these...

There can be many odd and unwelcome surprises in the world of classic tv on dvd, but the one thing I feel certain of is that TT vol. 2 (and VTTBOTS vol. 2 as well) will look virtually the same as the initial sets.

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
Even though I was a huge LIS fan,I never purchased S2 or S3
sets because I was so disappointed with the quality of the S1 discs...I suspect that whoever was responsible for the transfer to DVD was either a "bumbling boobyhead" or a "pot bellied prankster"...

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Since I've finished off both the TIME TUNNEL and VOYAGE volume 1 sets, I've now gone back and begun rewatching some of the TIME TUNNEL episodes over again.

One thing that's caught my eye: I've had occasion to watch an episode or two of TT on a standard television as opposed to our HDTV. The "sweat" issue is much more noticeable on the HD set than on a standard TV. Sure, now that I know it's there, I can see it, but it's not as blatantly obvious as it is on the HDTV.

I still cannot get over how good these look! They are almost reference-quality DVDs.

Harry

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

I was disappointed in the quality of "The Derelict" too. In that first season, it was really the only standalone episode to take place "out in space". The very next episode got the Robinson family planet-bound for the entire rest of the season.

I'd read about the bad print on that episode here, but wanted the show badly enough that I didn't pay much heed to the warning. As you say, the rest of the episodes aren't nearly as bad, they're just not as good as one hoped for, after seeing such reference-quality black and white transfers as we have on TWILIGHT ZONE or even the first season VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA set.

I suppose FOX was in some kind of learning mode with the LIS sets - and it seems like they learned a great deal, based on how well TIME TUNNEL and VOYAGE have come out so far. One has to wonder if somewhere down the road, perhaps in an HD format, LIS will be revisited. It seems like it was too popular a show to have been given such a rough-shod treatment.

Ah, well. Bring on the next wave of TIME TUNNEL episodes!

Harry

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
no, FOX got lazy-since LIS was so popular they made new transfers several years ago for the Sci-Fi channel;
But 10 years of advances in mastering and compressing could have made LIS look great-but FOX chose to use the '10 year old masters' rather that start fresh for this set. They look good, but not GREAT.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
As we are now just five weeks away from the release of THE TIME TUNNEL VOLUME 2, I'd like to point out that a certain famous online retailer has dropped the price of Volume 1 down to $19.97, or half of list price. This same pricing is apparently also applying to VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, SEASON ONE, VOLUME 1.

The lowered pricing has already affected the ranking of the TIME TUNNEL series in their top sales, dragging it up from the 600's to the 200's. An even greater rank-jump happened to VOYAGE with the new pricing, moving it up from the 1200's to the 300's.

It's a good time for the fence-sitters to take the leap on these two. With that kind of pricing, the per-episode price whittles down to a little over a dollar each.

Harry

michael_ks

Screenwriter
It's hard to imagine someone being a fence-sitter on these two series when a fanatic like me will actually bring a portable dvd player to work in order not to wait until 5:00 p.m. to view the discs that I purchased at Best Buy on lunch break the day of official release.

Voyage and TT fans have an added treat in store this year besides the remaining two volumes for S1--a book offering a critical history of the 4 major Irwin Allen series, due in November:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078...g=UTF8&s=books

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter

I finally took the leap and I would also like to point out that when you purchase both Time Tunnel AND Voyage at the same time from this certain famous online retailer, together the price is $29.94--you're getting an additional $10 off, so its like paying $15 for each set.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
And the sales promotion appears to be paying off. TIME TUNNEL has climbed up into the top 100 in sales, with VOYAGE trailing a bit between 100 and 150.

Harry

Bill>Moore

Second Unit

Great news! I can't wait to pick this book up in November. In the meantime, it's good to hear that the series have gotten a bit of a sales boost with the price drop. That is indeed a fantastic deal.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Has anyone ever heard if the writers/producers/directors of Back to the Future ever cited Time Tunnel as an influence? It struck me today that the end of BTTF 2 is straight outta Time Tunnel -- depositing our hero(es) in a new time and place and then, bang! Cliffhanger!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I've never heard any BTTF people credit TIME TUNNEL in any way.

If any other entertainment entity owes its existence to TIME TUNNEL, it would have to be QUANTUM LEAP - a secret project in the Arizona desert with a scientist uncontrollably leaping from time to time and can't get home. Yet I never heard any of THOSE folks crediting TIME TUNNEL either.

TIME TUNNEL writer Ellis St. Joseph, who wrote the "Day The Sky Fell In", the Pearl Harbor story, mentioned the movie, The Final Countdown, in Starlog Magazine, October 1991:

I quote that, but never really understood his beef. Yes, both were time-travel stories to Pearl Harbor before the Japanese attack, but there the similarities end. One deals with the land-based adventures of the scientists trying to warn a father about the attack, the other was a feature based at sea aboard an aircraft carrier whose crew spend most of the time trying to figure out what happened to them.

Harry

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of "The Day The Sky Fell In", I'm at that one in the viewing journey. Mom and I are going to watch that one this afternoon. We're watching the series together. She's never seen the series but remembers my Dad and I watching them in the 60's. Dad and I never missed this show. She said the same thing that Gord (TSoD) said a while back; "It's hard to believe that this series was made back in '66." How's that for crossing the Generation Gap, Harry? :D

Jeff "I'll never go through waiting to view a series like TT again" W. (Signature style used by permission of "Gary O") :laugh:

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
Can't wait to re-watch volume 2 in just a couple of weeks.

Final Countdown is definitely one of my favorite movies, but I never really thought of it as being inspired by Time Tunnel.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
17 days to release day of TIME TUNNEL VOLUME 2. I'm looking forward to seeing the upgraded video of the episodes, along with the restored portions edited out of the syndication cuts. Plus, I'm eagerly anticipating the extras - expanded interviews with the principals and the two TV pilots we're getting.

Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks