What's new

Time Tunnel S1 &2 - Good buy? (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I recently stumbled onto a little video that was put together on YouTube that has fascinated me.

It's a combination of a little Irwin Allen clip on the Seaview and then goes into the TV-movie intro for THE TIME TUNNEL and follows that up with the section on TIME TUNNEL in THE FANTASY WORLDS OF IRWIN ALLEN. What's fascinating to me is that middle section, as I've never, ever seen anything from the edited-together TV-movies of THE TIME TUNNEL.

For the unintiated, back in the '80s, Fox put together five telemovies to syndicate to TV stations. They took two similarly themed episodes, crammed them together and edited them down, and then prefaced them with the short, expository, five-minute scene that's in the video linked above. Though I've always been a bit of a TIME TUNNEL geek, I've never had the privilege of seeing any portion of those movies, though I would have really loved to.

One further note is that most TIME TUNNEL videos on YouTube don't last long as Fox is rather protective of their copyright and often nukes them. I'm surprised this one's lasted a couple of months at this point. So don't be surprised if it disappears quickly, like Doug and Tony disappearing into time.

Harry

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have S1 and S2 on dvd and i have no complaints. There are some episodes that are very good, like the Pearl Harbor episode. Pearl Episode takes them back to day before pearl harbor happens. There are many episodes that are very good, especially looking at lee merriweather back in the 1960s. The set also has the unaired pilot.

I would recommend this buy!!

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Actually there was only one season of The Time Tunnel. 20th Century Fox put the one and only season out as Vol 1 and Vol 2.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I absolutely love this show too, always did and always will for all time. Nobody from the cast seems to think it was a wise decision to cancel it and I certainly see their point, as Jimmy Darren points out in his interview, there were so many story possibilities they could've used in later seasons. One of TV history's big mistakes for sure I wish they could go back and undo, and maybe make it two seasons instead of the fun but ultimately less satisfying Land of the Giants. Oh well, wishes that shall remain unfulfilled. I like the cast interviews in the extras but commentary tracks would've been an awesome thing too, personally I could listen to the wonderful Lee Meriwether for hours.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly
Actually there was only one season of The Time Tunnel. 20th Century Fox put the one and only season out as Vol 1 and Vol 2.
It is good show to take you back into history for some important events, like pearl harbor, Troy, titantic, etc. I bought the set and watch it from time to time. The show also spawn similar type of shows later on like quantum leap and voyagers. I was too young to see the show when it first aired. I picked it up, because i am a huge sci-fi fan.

It is also a good show for kids to watch to see how history unfolded. I think TV of today could learn a little about TV of yesterday to see how acting/scripts were done. This scripted reality just does not do it for me. I rather watch dvds then watch what is on today's tv!!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I purchased time tunnel a few years ago and decided to start watching the episodes again. I watched the titanic and moon episode and they are very well done. I like this show, especially the story lines. I think i remember the show being on spacecast in canada in the 1990s. It is too bad shows like this do not get played on like a classic space channel to spike interest with the younger generation.

I am a huge sci-fi fan ever since i was a kid. I will continue to add to my collecion when i see shows like Time Tunnel become available.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
We TIME TUNNEL fans should be really thankful for the excellent job that FOX did on restoring and presenting the show on DVD. Given the show's treatment over the years, I would have expected a bare-bones release with passable prints along the lines of LOST IN SPACE, but the powers that be stepped up to the plate and gave us a release to be proud of.

I know there are complaints - there are ALWAYS complaints - but with the excellent mastering and the extras thrown in, this release still holds up, even in the age of Blu-Ray. We got Irwin Allen's home movies, which if you haven't taken the time to peruse, do so. There are scenes in there of an entire subplot of the pilot that was cut out and thrown away - that of Dennis Hopper playing an obnoxious passenger on the Titanic named Tabor who had ideas of wooing what he thought was the wealthy Althea Hall. He was also involved in the radio room scene and trying to sneak aboard the lifeboats trying to pass as a lady wearing a shawl. There are little snippets of these scenes to be found in those home movies.

Also in there are some surprising moments like when Albert Salmi visited the Titanic set in his pirate costume, coming in from the neighboring set of another Irwin Allen production. And there are lots of scenes in the home movies of Irwin and company prepping and showing off the control room set, shots in the desert where he's seen instructing James Darren on the proper way to "tumble helplessly" into history.

And then there are the extended interviews from the 1995 release of THE FANTASY WORLDS OF IRWIN ALLEN, where we get all of the major players including Whit Bissell in one of his last on-camera appearances, talking about the show.

I can't forget the generous addition of not one but two full additional programs included on the the second volume - the full telemovie THE TIME TRAVELERS and the widescreen 2002 pilot for the series reboot that never made it.

So, with all that's *right* about THE TIME TUNNEL on DVD, it's easy to overlook whatever problems have been brought up: dual-sided discs, split up volumes, and the bland cover artwork. I'm certainly happy with these.

Harry

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I watch Time Tunnel every year starting in September and ending in May. Friday Nights just as i watched the episode's when i was kid. Those new books on Time Tunnel are ready to ship on July 1st from http://www.alphacontrolpress.biz/ . You may also order them from Monstersinmotion.com

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by Mark Collins
I watch Time Tunnel every year starting in September and ending in May. Friday Nights just as i watched the episode's when i was kid. Those new books on Time Tunnel are ready to ship on July 1st from http://www.alphacontrolpress.biz/ . You may also order them from Monstersinmotion.com
Hey Mark,

I watched the time tunnel episodes periodically and it really depends on my mood. I have 71 completed shows that i try to watch a dvd a night. It is more difficult in the summer and/or warm months as i tend to be outside.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Through contact within out Yahoo group, I've learned that the Region 2 discs do indeed have 4% PAL speed-up issues, and have the "next week" teasers relegated away from the episodes and tacked on as a DVD extra. Those two factors render the R2 set as not favorable IMHO.
Harry

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
That's right about the UK release, the R1 set is superb and much preferable. I may need the R2 Land Of The Giants release though, the old R1 box of mine shows some picture issues now unfortunately.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Happy 4th to those of us in US and great weekend to everyone else!!! Just a reminder that those Time Tunnel books begin to ship on July the 1st from Alpha. You can also purchase them from Monster's in Motion.com

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I received my Time Tunnel book today. i would say it is a must have for those of us who love this series. Blueprints of the tunnel and many other thiings are included in this 45th year tribute to Time Tunnel.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Mark Collins said:
/forum/thread/284240/time-tunnel-s1-2-good-buy/90#post_3827393
Happy 4th to those of us in US and great weekend to everyone else!!! Just a reminder that those Time Tunnel books begin to ship on July the 1st from Alpha. You can also purchase them from Monster's in Motion.com
Thanks for the info on the book. TT is in my top 5 favorite show list. The book sounds like a good buy for me.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
My book is on the way. I hope it's not just another rehash of what's been issued before, but since it's my 'holy grail' show, I'll be happy with whatever it is.

Harry

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Harry I was very pleased and I have the last 2 books on TT. Remember the Voyage book is limited so if you or any other fans want it now is the time to order for it comes out this fall.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Collins
Harry I was very pleased and I have the last 2 books on TT. Remember the Voyage book is limited so if you or any other fans want it now is the time to order for it comes out this fall.
My order for the Voyage book is already in, thanks to you Mark.

Gary "I may pick up the Time Tunnel book as well" O.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
My PROJECT TIC-TOC book arrived today, and after a quick perusal, I have to say I'm disappointed. It is essentially a somewhat updated version of William Anchors' IRWIN ALLEN SCRAPBOOK VOLUME 1: THE TIME TUNNEL. The great bulk of the text in this new book is an exact reprinting from the earlier work: the set-up, the episode guide, the guest cast's credits - all exact reprints from what I can tell - obviously I have not actually read the whole thing - it just arrived today. But it seemed that every page I looked at had familiar text about it - the episode descriptions, the notes at the end of each of those description - all are word-for-word from the earlier volume. And that makes up the great bulk of the book.

Now, there are loads of new pictures scattered throughout, obviously made possible by doing DVD screen captures - but as the pictures throughout the text are black & white, they are not exactly the highest of quality. In the back of the book, there two glossy pages printed on both sides with some color photos. These look much nicer, but also look "thrown in" as an afterthought to spruce up the book.

New items include a new forward and afterword by Flint Mitchell; a blueprints section that looks well-done; a new six-page biography with filmography of Irwin Allen by Jet Georgala; the cast biographies look new to me; there's a Crew and Writers section with brief synopses about the creative team that put the show together sprinkled with some photos; which brings us to the Guest Cast biographies.

The text here looks familiar, but the section is sprinkled with photos. The problem is that these are not always who or where they're supposed to be. For example, there's an entry for Tristram Coffin but above his entry is a picture of Jan Merlin in his "Visitors..." getup. Another error dealing with a guest star of the same episode has the entry for Gary Haynes with a photo of Byron Folger above it. Barry Kelley's entry has a photo of Larry Ward above it - and so on.

There are even some spelling errors here that carried over from the previous book: John Doucette continues to be misspelled as "Douchette". One other annoying fact about the photos - they look lifted from screen grabs from the DVD - but whoever did it had the picture stretched horizontally, so everyone looks "fatter". Ugh. People just can't get the hang of proper aspect ratios, can they? Now the phenomenon has spilled over into the print world!

The concept of including the pictures in the guest cast section is a noble idea - I just wish it had been executed a little better.

The interviews with Robert Colbert and Lee Meriwether are straight reprints from the prior Anchors book. These interviews have to be nearly twenty years old by now.

New are two sections on modern phenomena related to the series: a pictorial listing of collectables that's up to date enough to include the DVD sets, soundtrack CDs and all of the Argentinian cereal box toys that are frequently found on eBay. There's also a new section on websites devoted to the series - something one can get in a fraction of a second on Google.

All in all, I'm, as I say, disappointed. I had a sneaking suspicion in the back of my mind that we'd be seeing the same William Anchors text all over again. But hey - it's in a larger font now - good for aging eyes!

Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks