1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Time Tunnel on Blu

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by bigshot, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Message #141 of 158 Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Yep... that's my guess too. Plus it's an import.

Don't count on Fox to do anything with these series. If it happens it'll be foreign distributors who'll get it done.

I just realized the text describing the release on both Amazon and deepdiscount mentions a booklet (some type of short essay thing). Mine had none. I'm not too concerned as I normally read/look at those once. Did anyone get a booklet in their copy?

bmasters9 likes this.
  2. phil*

phil* Second Unit

Andro
    Is it a certainty that this blu ray release of The Time Tunnel will play on all North American blu ray players? I'm holding off my purchase until I am sure.

3. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    I have four Sony Blu-ray players and the TIME TUNNEL Blu-ray discs play on all of them. I have not "hacked" any of my players.

Jack K likes this.
  4. Message #144 of 158 Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    The discs should work in just about any blu-ray player. There are some other issues that are an annoyance (try accessing just one special feature on the special features disc and it will play the next one as well) ... The interviews play fine...etc

Per a review at Amazon.com

5. phil*

phil* Second Unit

Andro
    Thanks.
    I have the Sony 4K UBP-X800 blu ray player which should upgrade these discs somewhat to appear even more pristine.

6. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    Mine played fine on the Sony UBP X800, other than the issues noted that are related to how the discs are authored and not region.

7. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Screenwriter

Brad
    My set looked magnificent on both my Sony BDP-7200 and on the Sony UBP-X700.

Considering the recent decision of Fox to release The Orville, S1 only on DVD and digital (with no blu-ray release in the works), I'll venture to agree with the folks here who believe that in the future, we'll get shows like this on Blu-ray only from overseas sources.

If you don't yet have a region-free Blu-ray/DVD player, get one soon.

Jeff Flugel and Jack K like this.
  8. Message #148 of 158 Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    ScottRE

ScottRE Second Unit

Scott
    I received my copy yesterday and I couldn't be more pleased! Well, I suppose I could always be more pleased (the In Color intro would be nice and having the previews of the first couple of episodes tacked on would also be grand). But the transfers and sound are amazing. Stick with the default mono track, though, I get a lot of distortion in the 5.1 mix. What a great release! And Region Free!!!!

Jack K, Jeff Flugel and bmasters9 like this.
  9. Gordiac

Gordiac Auditioning

Gordon
    An Amazon reviewer last month claims:

"The editorial review said, that the Blu-ray Collectors Edition was restored to their original uncut format. This is not true!! I was watching "Chase Thru Time" and there is at least approx. 10 seconds missing. the part that's been edited out is after Tony, Doug, Zokar and the female human worker bee to another time period, they leave actor Robert Duvall in bee hive/cone all alone, since TT cannot transfer him. Then the bees started to close up the hive since the Irwin Allen Production Company using old film from their vaults."

I've yet to check my BR copy, yet I'm certain no bees' footage was included in the DVDs to begin with. Can anyone else please verify?

10. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    ^^^

That's one of my favorite episodes because there's a lot of use of the time tunnel itself, so I've seen it many times over the years and I do not recall any footage of actual bees ever being shown in that segment.

Also, the last line of that quote doesn't make sense to me.

Gordiac likes this.
  11. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    There were never any bees shown. It was all left to the viewers' imaginations.

MartinP. and Gordiac like this.
  12. ScottRE

ScottRE Second Unit

Scott
    I've had the series on VHS, Laser, from broadcasts and even some 16mm film. There has never been a shot of bees from an old movie. The episode is totally complete

Gordiac and Harry-N like this.
  13. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    Agreed. I saw the original ABC broadcast and it always left Nimon cowering in the corner of the hive trying to cover up with that straw-like material. Then it cut to Tony & Doug back in the time vortex.

Gordiac and MartinP. like this.
  14. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    That specific scene, a giant bee sealing someone inside a comb section, is from Mysterious Island (1961), produced by Charles H. Schneer, directed by Cy Endfield, for Ameran Films and distributed by Columbia Pictures. Irwin Allen had nothing to do with that production. The lead up is very reminiscent of the scene from that film but, as others have said, The Time Tunnel episode has never included that part.

Jack K and Gordiac like this.
  15. ScottRE

ScottRE Second Unit

Scott
    It it's not a Fox film, the odds are slim he would have used it, unless it was public domain or realllllly cheap.

Gordiac likes this.
  16. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    From The Time Tunnel book by Martin Grams, Jr., page 87:

There is a general myth circulating that claims Irwin Allen pulled stock footage from films solely in the 20th Century-Fox film library. This is not so. Allen had a binder at least three inches thick listing production companies and the movies that were available at Allen's request. Each movie was featured with a list breaking down all of the footage available, the action on the scene and the length of time the footage ran. Films from MGM, Columbia and Republic were listed in the binder.

17. ScottRE

ScottRE Second Unit

Scott
    Thanks for that. I know he did pull from films other than Fox, but I never actually kept track of how many (I also have the book, I should have checked). I can't pretend to know how much it cost for use the footage from other production companies. It "seemed" as if it was mostly Fox, but I do remember seeing volcano footage used in Universal serials.

I imagine this footage was still fairly cheap to use.

18. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    In the commentary for Airplane! (a remake of Zero Hour) they stated they (Paramount) purchased stock footage from Universal (Airport). But Universal Legal wouldn't allow them to have a nun that sang so Maureen McGovern didn't sing in Airplane! :cool: ...