What's new

Time Tunnel on Blu (1 Viewer)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I would have *loved* to have duplicated what I originally watched that night 50 years ago but only The Time Tunnel and The Avengers are currently available on disc.

Here's what I watched the evening of 9/9/66:

The Green Hornet (will we *ever* get this one? I truly thought if Batman came out this'd be next in short order)
The Time Tunnel (will that BR release ever be done?)
Rango (a Tim Conway 17 episode wonder. I'd love to have it but it's unlikely to see release. When this ended I watched the last half hour of The Man from U.N.C.L.E.)
T.H.E. Cat (another much desired MIA series)
The Avengers (Friday night so I got to stay up later and watch this great series)

That year Friday night viewing presented a pair of tough decisions. I had to give up The Wild Wild West and Hogan's Heroes, two favorites, for The Green Hornet and The Time Tunnel, two *new* favorites. I used to read the "TV Guide" synopsis for those I had to miss and wish I could watch them all.

I absolutely *hated* that *both* of those series got cancelled after only a single season! Both had the potential to run several years had they been given the chance.

I know this is an old post, Howie, but I had to comment on it...

Man, what a line-up that Friday night was! I don't know, though...kids were faced with some tough decisions back then. Choosing The Green Hornet over The Wild Wild West, or Rango over The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Hard choices there. Not to mention other shows that likely aired that night that you didn't mention, like Tarzan, Twelve O'Clock High and Laredo. What a wonderful - albeit brutally competitive - schedule.

History proved you probably chose wisely, as Rango esp. never resurfaced again, and as you say is highly unlikely to ever see a DVD release. Plus, both The Wild Wild West and U.N.C.L.E. have gotten lots of syndicated repeats over the years, as well as complete series releases on DVD.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I found the volume 1 set listed on Amazon for around $18:

https://www.amazon.com/Time-Tunnel-...id=1535724529&sr=8-2&keywords=the+time+tunnel

However, volume 2 new is, as Harry says, grossly overpriced on Amazon Marketplace.

How did this show go out of print? Craziness. I'd like to think that this is a sign of a possible Region A Blu-Ray release, but I'm skeptical. Might consider the U.K. release if the price is right, though.

Last edited:

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Yep, my error. The first volume is still listed there, but the second is gone. I'm fairly certain that the first volume must have sold considerably better than the second, with older fans jumping on the chance to see the series again. By the time Volume 2 came out six months later, they probably had their fill - and just about all of the truly great episodes in that first set.

It would be nice to see the show upgraded to Blu-ray. It will be interesting to read any reviews of the UK set coming out. I won't be buying that as I've nothing to play R2 PAL stuff on.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The 1965-1967 tv season is my favorite era in prime time Tv history. There were never as many sf/fantasy/adventure shows on at the same time before or since. So much imagination. I called it Anything Goes Television.
Did you mean '65-66 or '66-67? '65-67 would have been two seasons.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I'd like to think that this is a sign of a possible Region A Blu-Ray release, but I'm skeptical. Might consider the U.K. release if the price is right, though.
I thought the U.K. bluray was just SD on an higher capacity bluray disc. No bump in quality, and still prone to PAL speed up.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I thought the U.K. bluray was just SD on an higher capacity bluray disc. No bump in quality, and still prone to PAL speed up.

Ah, thanks for letting me know. Def. no sale then...

BTW, have you noticed any PAL speed-up on the Magnum P.I. UK set you have?

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I've never noticed any issues with the Magnum bluray set. Or any bluray set from the U.K. or Australia. The conversion isn't as compromised in HD because I think all European bluray players are capable of playing at 29.97 fps. I'm sure there are better experts here than I on the matter.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I suppose I should amend my comments on the U.K. bluray set. This is from the item description:

"Tech Info: VIDEO*: 1080P HIGH DEFINITION 16x9 1:33 (WITH SIDE MATTING) / COLOUR AUDIO*: ORIGINAL MONO + NEW 5.1 / ENGLISH *FEATURE EPISODES ONLY"

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Wonder what "16:9 1:33" means? Are the episodes in both original 4:3 aspect ration and widescreen? Or is that some sort of wording I'm not following clearly? Maybe they are including the side-matting on the 1:33 as part of the 16:9?

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
That would be good news. I assume this just means one doesn't need to adjust your aspect ratio when playing these discs, assuming that your usual A/R is set to 16:9. Of course, the only concern for most of us is that the integrity of the original 4:3 is respected, and no decisions have already been made for us by cropping and/or stretching the image to a phony widescreen. Hate that, of course.

stringbean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Snorbitz
Wonder what "16:9 1:33" means? Are the episodes in both original 4:3 aspect ration and widescreen? Or is that some sort of wording I'm not following clearly? Maybe they are including the side-matting on the 1:33 as part of the 16:9?

I'm hoping that the episodes themselves are in the proper 4.3 aspect ratio without having to adjust any settings on your TV itself and that the 16.9 in the description refers to any modern day extras.

There must be no chopping off the top and bottom of the picture whatsoever! There will be an outcry if this was the case. Let's hope they follow the excellent Lost In Space blu-ray set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks