Time to upgrade to separates

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BillSuneson, Sep 16, 2005.

1. BillSuneson

BillSuneson Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

Right now i'm in the process of selling my Onkyo TX-NR 900 and moving into the world of separates. I'm looking right now at a Rotel 1066 and an Outlaw 950 pre/pro. Which is the favored of the two if I have found them at roughly the same price. I will be purchasing some combination of Parasound amps to go along with the pre/pro. I mainly watch movies in a 5.1 setup at the moment on Polk Audio LSi speakers. which are also for sale. I may be moving to a 7.1 energy setup in the future.

I appreciate any input you could give me.

Thanks,

Bill

2. Victor Ferguson

Victor Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

Outlaw 990/770 combo deal is a good value.

3. BillSuneson

Thats about 2x the price I had found from classifieds on audiogon on the whole package of rotel/outlaw pre/pro and 3 mono parasound amps, i will then add a 2 channel parasound for my LSi 25's

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    So what is your budget? You might take a look at the Emotiva Ultra Lite package at AV123 here. You'll get a discount if buying speakers at the same time.

5. BillSuneson

Budget for this would be around 1500 or so. i found the both pre/pro units for 5-650, and the amps i have found from a friend of a friend for 350 for 3 1201A Monoblocks from Parasound, I would have around 500 for a decent 2 channel amp to drive my Mains

Thanks for the link.
    Have you had any experience with the Emotiva equipment. I honestly haven't ever heard of it and some first hand use/knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

What does it compare to amp?
    What does it compare to pre/pro?
    Honestly can it run with a 4 ohm load?

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The Ultra Lite has not yet been released, so I don't know anyone who's heard it yet, and the other guys are quite expensive. I believe these guys are relatively new to the market, so I'm not sure what they would compare to, but the speakers have been well regarded around here and other forums for some time now. You can check on their forum under "community" and probably find some people who have heard these guys.

7. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Bill- I seem to recall some pretty negative comments concerning the Parasound mono's a coupla of years back.
    Unless some members of this board can vouch for their worthiness, I think I'd consider something else.
    Could have been just a few complaints that have no real substance or could have been valid in which case, why chance it?

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The issue with the Parasound mono's wasn't so much that they weren't good but that they were rebadged Soundstream's. They decent amps if the price is right.

The 1066 has a bass doubleing problem on its multichannel inputs. You can pay Rotel a nominal fee to fix it or you can do the fix yourself. Clu Rotels FAQ has all the info you need on that issue.

The Outlaw's a good unit if you don't mind the looks [​IMG] It didn't fare as well in head to head competitions against the Rotel for music but for HT its stellar.

What you might consider doing is buying a good receiver and using that as your pre pro and its internal amps for the surround channels. Then add a good 2 channel amp for the fronts.