Time to upgrade the ol' TV ! Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by tom hangler, Jan 29, 2003.

1. tom hangler

tom hangler Extra

Hello friends,

I'm feeling the upgrade bug, and this time, it's affecting my current TV... so I'm wondering what y'all think I should do?

My current TV is a Toshiba TX40H80 that I bought about two years ago... it's a nice 40" widescreen with component inputs but, alas, not HDTV-ready

So now I'm looking at upgrading it to an HDTV-ready set.

I already have a Philips Q50 Prog Scan DVD player, so I just need a tv capable of handling it's progressive outs.

I also have DirecTV, and eventually would like to receive HDTV, via a STB, but that's not immediate.

The physical space for the TV is only 49" wide, so I'm thinking my max would have to be a 47" widescreen. Budget is around $2k or so...

What's a good suggestion? I'm looking currently at the Panasonic 47WX42 and the Samsung HCL4715W.. but given that eventually I'll want to hook-up a STB (or a satellite STB with HDTV tuner)... are these good choices?

Many thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Gilbert ^P

Gilbert ^P Stunt Coordinator

what about a Sony Kp46WT500. it's 16*9---HDTV---has a DVI imput---2 component inputs and the rest like s video etc. It just came out in September. I love it. I've been happy with mine. I paid $1699 with stand included at Circuit City. It's a tabletop.

3. tom hangler

tom hangler Extra

Since I'm not using the DVI yet, regarding the 2 component inputs.. are they both HD-enabled?

And how'd you get it for $1699? [​IMG]

It's at my local CC for $1899... are there deals, rebates, etc. that I should know about?

Many thanks!

[​IMG]

4. Gilbert ^P

yes they both are hd component inputs. i negotiated the price. i also bought the extended warranty for peace of mind. i can email you the receipt if you want?

5. Gilbert ^P

yes they both are hd component inputs. i negotiated the price. i also bought the extended warranty for peace of mind. i can email you the receipt if you want? they'll match the price.

6. tom hangler

tom hangler Extra

Thanks Gilbert

I'm heading down to CC at lunchtime today, to see what I can work out with them

damn $1699 plus stand is sure an excellent deal!

[​IMG]