1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Time to return your copy of THE BLACK HOLE

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Oct 3, 2019.

1. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Do you think that's why VEI never sent the replacement fourth disc (fourth disc of first season) on my copy of Petrocelli (because I didn't get the release direct through VEI)?

2. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    I have no idea. Did you ask them why?

If I buy something from a third party seller and it's defective or a replacement is created, it is not up to the manufacturing company to make it right with me. Some will as a "customer service." But the DMC has got to read boards like this and knows people don't do the club and go through eBay. Therefore, unless it's a purchase through the club, they don't have any obligation to make it right. At all.

bmasters9 likes this.
  3. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Like others have said - yep, you're out of luck. And the ebay seller is likely in luck as they'll be able to obtain no-exchange replacements and sell those too. I'd take it up with that ebay seller and hope they're one of the better ones.

4. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Probably, but might as well ask the Ebay seller if he'd help out. I'd even offer to pay the 2nd shipping charge and a small fee if the overture is that important or exchange the old item for the new. He could sell it again as a used copy (assuming you've opened it) or you could recoup your fee+shipping by selling the old copy to someone who doesn't care about the hard to play overture

If you have bought a few things from that seller or paid a significant premium, you never know unless you try and not all Ebay sellers are complete asses (many are, not all)

5. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Didn't consider that (of course, Amazon was where I got my copy).

6. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Ahhh... but did you actually purchase from VCI via Amazon? The majority of their product is sold on Amazon that way. They, not Amazon, are the vendor with "Fulfilled by Amazon" as the offer.

bmasters9 likes this.
  7. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    You bringing it up that way, I think that's the way it was.

8. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Again, if you purchased a copy from Amazon (not a third party seller on Amazon), then it should theoretically be easy to reach out to VEI with a copy of the receipt and see what they say about a replacement copy.

(Exactly what BobO'Link said, lol.)

9. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Called and have a new copy coming at some point -- but they're sending me a label / envelope to return the original one! I thought there was no exchange, but so be it...

10. Message #50 of 61 Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

Still lot of confusion over this replacement.

So far nobody has reported getting an automatic shipment of the corrected disc -- not surprising that this wouldn't be the choice.

Some people are getting return labels, other aren't. CSR still appear to be using different scripts and answers.

First replacement items are now coming in -- full sealed case not just a disc. Case, art, UPC apparently identical
    New Disc with different ID code and new file dates of 9/5/2019

From Vilya/Bluray.com
    Old disc inner ring: (1082156) 8KH00001B1.1 Date 5/28/2019
    New disc inner ring: (1093930) 8KH00001B1.2 Dates 9/5/2019

Same menu it sounds like. It still doesn't appear to give you an option, but when you hit PLAY, it now takes you to the beginning of 8+ minute Chapter 1 with the Blank Screen and 2:27 Overture then the 5:36 of Credits and soundtrack No choice to take you directly to the beginning of the credits. I don't know if they left that version on the disc itself

Chapter 2 on old and new disc starts at at Scene 1/Beginning of the movie proper

11. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    This is correct. Chapter 1 will be the overture, main titles and opening of the movie. Chapter 2 on the flawed disc starts at 5:37. The overture runs 2:26. Add them together and you get 8:03.

12. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Yes. mistyped -- basically meant Chapter 2 always starts at the opening scene

There was the thought that is would be great to start the Overture/Chapter 1 at 0:00, Chapter 2/Credit at 2.27, and Chapter 3/Movie at 8:03

That would have given the most flexibility for those that wanted to skip either Overture and/or Credits without having to Fast Forward or even bother with the Title 1/Title 2 stuff.

13. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk
    If people want to skip the overture they can just buy the old disc! ;)

ahollis likes this.
  14. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    My copy of the fixed edition arrived today. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet though.

15. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Until 2 days ago my enrollment order was still stuck in "Processing" so I messaged them via the "Contact Us" on the site to ask about the holdup (I didn't mention any titles - just asked "It's been over 4 weeks - what's the holdup?"). The next day - within 12 hours of that message - I had a shipping notice with all the titles ordered, including The Black Hole on BR.

16. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I did check mine over the weekend. The overture is there when you hit play. Otherwise, the disc is the same.

17. bob kaplan

bob kaplan Supporting Actor

bob kaplan
    Just wanted it known that the person who sent me my first BLACK HOLE, did send the replacement to me as soon as he received it. Very nice and I appreciated the man's effort to be fair.

18. David Norman

David Norman Producer

I'm impressed. Never hurts to assume somebody will do the right thing when given the opportunity

19. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk
    Leave positive feedback.

ahollis likes this.
  20. Message #60 of 61 Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

Need to correct another on my own errors. Chapter 2 does not start right after the credits end.
    The Overture is 2:27. the credits and opening music runs approx 1:45, then the 1st scene starts. Chapter 2 start at 8:03.

On the old disc
    Chapter 1 starts at the beginning of the credits and Chapter 2 at the same spot as the corrected disc, but time code approx 5:36

I don't know why I had it in my head that Chapter 2 was the opening dialog after the credits. I think I was confusing it with the DVD which Ch 1/Overture, Ch 2/Credits , Ch 3 starts with the Starfield Dialog around 4:12