1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Time to return your copy of THE BLACK HOLE

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    43569_front.

Now I remember why I canceled my membership with the Disney Movie Club

Try calling their customer service number. You go through an obstacle course of automated prompts and none of them immediately get you to a live customer support agent.

I had to call twice to find a way to trick the automated prompts, or at least, find the right set of prompts to get me to someone.

I believe I selected "billing issues" and just let them play out all the possible phone press options before they finally gave me the opportunity to press "0" for customer support.

Then there was a 10-minute wait for an agent. I decided to have DMC call me back and left my phone number.

DMC called back 20 minutes later. An overly happy cast member was on the other end.

I told the cast member that I heard that THE BLACK HOLE was being replaced.

He put my order in. Said there was no need to return the bad version.

He then tried to sell me a copy of the live-action, THE LION KING with a lithograph. I politely declined.

So, if you want to endure the hassle of getting through to them on the phone, I would urge you to do so.

Perhaps there was an easier way to get this done.

2. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I have usually found that pushing "0" when the first prompt is heard gets me to a live person. It's an easy trick, but an effective one for pushing through all the other crap. Might work with Disney, too. And the "overly happy cast member" is absolutely what the company demands. The person you are speaking with might in fact have an angry scowl with fangs showing, but the voice must be Mary Poppins sing-songy (and obnoxious).

3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

First thing I tried. Did not work until I got to a certain set of prompts and then I had to sit and listen to it all.

4. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    It is possible that you encountered heavy call volume due to DMR (now Disney Insiders) just coming back online after a longer than expected delay and that site still has issues with members having lost points in the transition.

5. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    Thanks so much Ron for all the information and also for fighting the good fight going through Disney Hell.

I have one question, though. I held off buying the BLACK HOLE because of the overture issues. Can I now buy one from the website that is corrected, or do I have to go the route you did, and call on the phone?

6. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Disney is in the process, per The Digital Bits, of pressing corrected discs and has temporarily removed the title from its site.

lark144 likes this.
  7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

If the copy shows being available NOW, don't buy it.

The corrected version releases on the 16th of the month (if I am remembering correctly).

You may want to wait until then to order it. Something tells me Disney pulled the existing copies, but I may be wrong.

lark144 likes this.
  8. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    FWIW I joined DMC again on 9/14 selecting The Black Hole as one of my enrollment titles. That shipment is still "processing" which tells me it's being held due to issues with that one title and when it does ship it'll include the corrected version. I have no hard fact/proof of this but it's just too coincidental to not be the case.

9. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Bob, I would bet my life that is the reason.

Orders ship out within two days in most cases. The fact that you have been waiting since 9/14 is very telling!

10. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I always pick the prompt that would mean the most for the company. If one of the choices say is “push 3 if you want to make a gigantic purchase over $50,000”, I push that. I usually get a live person quickly who helps me or at least puts me on to the person who can.

11. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    What was the issue with the Original disc?

12. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Somewhere around 9/9 or 9/10 they started holding orders for the TBH. Some people received letters explaining the recalled release, some even got a Line Item on their Order Summary or email that said Black Hole - Letter, others didn't. I'm not aware of anyone who has gotten dispatch of an order made after that time though a couple people who ordered right around Labor Day did get the original release.

The DMC Chat feature is 100 times easier than the Phone esp with DMR?DMI transition and Disney+ rollout seeming to be reassigning employees into different areas. It's open less hrs, but I find is invaluable.
    From about 11am -9pm ET M-F the chat feature is open most of the time, but the times can vary a bit each day. easiest way I find to access it is going to MY Account/My Profile and usually there is a "Click to Chat Now" button.

13. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

It's missing the overture

14. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Missing a menu option to play the version that's on the disc with the Overture. The disc actually has both versions with and without the overture on the disc, but no way to access it on a regular BD player. A PC BD Player like Cyberpower or Leawo allows you to select which version to start -- it seems someone meant to include the option, but forgot to code the menu correctly.

15. Message #15 of 61 Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Cinematographer

Brad
    I’m in the phone right now to set up my replacement. I called the DMC Customer Relations number and they transferred me to a DMC cast member (Nicole), bypassing all those menus.

At first she told me that the replacement wasn’t available till October 14th and I’d have to call back then. I politely persisted having it on good authority that I could set up my replacement disc immediately.
    After a brief musical hold, she came back online and everything was set up.

Oh and the DMC Customer Relations number is
    (800) 723-4763

@Ronald Epstein ,so sorry you had to swim thru that menu system my friend. It is a bit of a pain.

But I still say in response to M I C K E Y. M O U S E,
    DONALD DUCK !!

holtge and Neil S. Bulk like this.
  16. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    Great! Again, thanks so much for the information. My main interest being the John Barry score, I didn't want to buy this until it was possible to hear the overture.

17. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Ron, since your topic header says “time to replace the disc”
    could you include a detailed description in the O.P. of the reason that those who bought it need to exchange it?

18. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I'm sorry, Tony. It's further down in the thread.

The overture is missing.

Disney is issuing replacements. No exchange required.

19. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Yeah, folks. I work in a call center and people try these tricks all the time. You want tech support so you cleverly call the Large Order department thinking you'll get through faster. You will get through in 10 minutes or so, only to be informed that you called the wrong department. They will then transfer you to the correct department where you will wait on hold another ten minutes to speak to the right person. Then you will complain on the internet that you were given the run-around on the phone and that you had to wait on hold forever.

I deal with this sort of thing all...day.

holtge, Brian Kidd and George_W_K like this.
  20. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

I'm finding this thread interesting, as I was told to send back my defective copy, unlike others. I wonder if I just hold off on sending it back if they will still send me the replacement? I did get a confirmation email with the order number and the zero cost for it.