What's new

Time to plan the next Austin meet (September 2002) (1 Viewer)

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Hank,

This is "the world's greatest girlfriend". Jonathan told me about his bragging fest and your response so I just had to log on here and see it for myself. I do have a sister, I actually have two, but they are both taken. I'll keep my eyes open for someone for you though. Keep him on his toes for me.

~JEN~

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
First Mirus Audio post spotted in Speakers and Subwoofers forum.

Congrats!
Need that web site going now, so I can respond with the address.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
And I responded to it! Jonathan, watch out for that Hank guy! He likes 'em young! He wanted my wife's twin sister!

Brian

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Jen, you and I have a deal!
In defense of my untarnished reputation, I feel compelled to warn everyone here to ignore what Brian, the Georgia peach, Bunge posts. He's prone to exagerate, being consumed with Texas-envy ;)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Hank,
I'm really envious of that airport. You go straight through security to your gate. Beats the hell outta Hartsfield!
BTW, keep that GA Peach crap to yourself! I ain't wearing no hoop skirt, old man! ;)

Dave Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
Count me in for any of those dates, provided its not during the early afternoon so I can still see my Ohio State football games :)
I will definitely have to have you guys over to my place for a future gathering. As Jeff M can attest, I can squeeze a whole bunch of folks in my HT room. Its essentially the family room, and its about 18' x 27'. I have a second set of tiered seating (a futon on wooden blocks) :) that I drag out for movie nights. I had about 15 of my car club buddies over to watch LOTR last month and just about everyone had a good seat.
My FP is just the run-o-the-mill modified LT150, which I find still offers an amazing picture (even compared to my previous Zenith CRT FPTV).
I'm definitely interested in a HTPC vs DVD shootout.
I'll check with the wife and maybe we can host one later in the year.
-Dave

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
Yeah, I can attest. Excellent layout, and everyone gets a good view. I bet you could cram even MORE folks in if you built a floor-level front-row seating thing out of a futon mattress and some plywood. Half of the mattress would just sit on the floor, half would slope up onto a plywood back-support. The people on the primary couch should still be able to see over the heads in the front-row, I think.

BTW, Dave... you will be blown away when you hear one of these DIY sonosubs. I went over to listen to Hank's lately, and... well... Holy Smokes. Unbelievable what you can get for so little money. I can't WAIT to get mine up and running. I'm still tearing my hair out trying to decide on a driver/enclosure combo, though. So many to choose from!

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
An idea! I just received an e-mail from 2003 International C.E.S.(Consumer Electronics Show) that registration is now open. I've been wanting to go for a few years. What do you say we get a group together and journey to Las Vegas? The show is January 9-12. Those of you with wives/serious girlfriends could make it a mini-vacation/getaway for the two of you. Southwest Airlines has some good value airfare/hotel packages.
Whaddaya think?

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I was hoping to attend CES, but with the baby and all I may not be able to swing it. One catch is that I did loose a bet with Linda whereby I owe her a trip to Vegas, so depending on the baby's needs I may or may not be able to join you all - if I do, I think an Austin group party could be a lot of fun! :emoji_thumbsup:

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
BTW: Hank, why don't you start a new thread for your idea of a CES Austin party, that way, if other HTF members who don't read this thread are planning on attending CES, they might chime in and possibly want to meet the largest local HTF group :D

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Nils, I was thinking of doing just that, if I got a couple of replies here. What the heck, I'll do it anyway in this local meets section.

Kevin_Roy

Grip
I know this is off topic... I have been unable to attend the Austin meets due to personal circumstances. However, I hope to attend one soon, once the dust being kicked up in my life settles down. The situation is such... I am trying to sell a Denon AVR4802 receiver that has primarily been used as a Pre-Amp. I am looking to get around $1700.00 obo. I would prefer to sell it to someone here locally so it would not have to be shipped. If anyone is interested, e-mail me at [email protected]. I apologize if this is the wrong place to put this.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan - oops, I caught my mistake and posted the correct dates on the seperate thread. I'll correct here too. Thanks.

Chris Markey

Auditioning
Hey guys, I've been out for a week or so. I see the meet for the 21st at Colin's. Dang! I'll be in Seattle, meeting with "The Evil Empire", but keep my email address for any future meets. CES sounds like fun, I've always wanted to go to it. Maybe something nice for my lovely bride for Xmas would get me a hall pass to Sin City. I'll work on it.:D

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
If I built her a brownie factory it still wouldn't matter, in otherwords, she doesn't mind me going to CES, it is I who minds being away from the little one.
Like I said, if I think Erik is up for the trip, and I can bring along a grand parent, then I'll be there.
PS: Still haven't heard yet whether or not tonight's show...

Follow the Chud Trail Here!
...has been postponed. I didn't go out on the lake this weekend due to the weather, but I assume they postponed the Friday-Sunday shows due to the storm.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Time to give this thread a ^bump^ back up to the top.
The meet is still on for September 21, starting around 12PM. Would you guys rather have lunch out, or do a cookout at my place instead? I can supply things like burgers, hot dogs, and buns, as well as soft drinks and a couple of beer selections. If you don't like F(l)at Tire :) or Sam Adams, then you may want to bring your own beer selections...
Topics still under consideration:
- Home theater PCs
- room treatments
- DIY screen construction
- Any other ideas???
I will send a formal announcement to the mailing list later this evening. Directions will be provided to those who RSVP as soon as all final details are nailed down...

Users who are viewing this thread