What's new

Time to plan the next Austin meet (September 2002) (1 Viewer)

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
After Labor Day, it will be about time for another Austin Home Theater Meet. Anyone want to host, and any new ideas of what to do at the next meet???

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
What was the concensus about having the separate Austin HTF discussion board on the Mirus site?

My feelings and I think these are shared by some others is that we should take a break from comparison listening tests and just get together to enjoy a movie at someone's place. Get some food and drinks, pop in a movie, talk shop or just get wrapped up in the film.

By the way Mike Decock came over to my place this past weekend with his Wave-8's in hand. We listened for about two hours to his little 8 watters then about another two to my Art Audio Concerto.

8 watts rocked quite well on my speakers. (4 ohm, 89dB)

My conclusions were that it was easy to tell that the Art was better in every respect, but at $110 each the Wave's are a tremendous value. If you are interested in trying tubes this is a cheap way to dabble with them. They definately were better than any solid state stuff I have heard anywhere near that price level.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
I agree with Scott - the next meet would be a good one to kick back, unwind, and enjoy movies without trying to do scientific comparisons or construction projects.
Hope someone agrees, because one reply in 21 hours is about the slowest response I've ever seen to an Austin HTF Meet thread... :frowning:

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Kick-back mode for the next one is okay with me. That said, I really enjoy the comparisons. At the last meet, the actual comparison part didn't take too long in my opinion. What really tires me is the long speaker listening sessions with the same female vocals played for a LONG time each time. My favorite meet was the one at Jonathan's, with the technical discussions and the speaker testing, complete with front-projected response graphs on the wall, some listening and lots of discussion.

An occasional meet centered on watching a movie is okay, but I do that at home. I like the mental stimulation of doing some testing/comparing and learning from others and the different opinions shared.

Greg Risley

Second Unit
Hey guys sorry for the delay in my posting but I've been out of town all week.
A movie meet is great but so are the shop talk meets.
Is anyone thinking about building a HTPC. That would be a great get together to build one of these and then fire it up. I have a machine right now I would like to convert to a HTPC, but the damn thing keeps eating hard drives.

How about sound card comparison run through a HT sound system. Theres a couple of ideas for ya.

I also could try and get access to my neighborhood's Amenities Center and we could try that projector shoot-out thing again.

Greg

Dave Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
Colin,

I'm up for any sort of HT meet. Looks like I stumbled into this forum a month too late though, as I also live in Lago Vista and Frederick's HT meet would have been right around the corner.

Anyways, I am always interested in seeing what other people have done with their HT. I can probably dig up a few HT-interested friends to join in as well. It sounds like some folks are serious audiophiles, which unfortunately my budget does not afford me :) (too many other expensive hobbies)....

Currently my system consists of an NEC LT150 (modified) DLP front projector (which still amazes me), 100" dalite high-power electrol screen, Denon receiver, Pinnacle Classic Gold L/C/R/Surr, NHT Sub, JVC progressive DVD, ReplayTV, DSS, etc.... All custom mounted into a fairly nice stealthy DIY installation. All in all I think its a great setup for the $5k-6k I have in it.

At some point, I'd consider hosting a meet if anyone is interested, but probably not until later in the year. We're having a pool party/LOTR viewing this weekend (for friends of my "other" hobby -- german cars/racing) and I think 2 parties in 2 months would set the wife off :)

My next upgrades will likely be a 7.1 or 8.1 receiver or processor/amp, and a HDTV DirecTV receiver.

Keep me informed.

-Dave

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Though I wanted to kick back during this meet, I do like Greg Risley's idea of doing HTPC stuff. I've always wanted to see what a good home theater PC would do. (Too bad there are no ways to play DVD-Audio or SACDs on a computer, or I would be going that route...)
Dave - welcome to the Austin HTF meet thread. This was a really good choice of a thread for your first HTF post... :)
I've added you to my mailing list for announcements related to Austin HTF meets. As the meet draws nearer, keep an eye on your E-mail for more specific information. Right now, we're just starting to plan out the next meet, which will probably happen in about 4-6 weeks.

Rajiv Arora

Agent
I love the comparisons, because it's something one can't do on one's own. For example, it would have been hard for any one of us to assemble the set of pre/pro's we had at the last meet for a comparison on our own.

But, I'm up for something laid back too. There is something to be said for not disrupting the host's setup, and I love to see how people have setup their systems/theaters. It'd be great to have the host demo the special features/tweaks in their system!

Greg, your idea of snagging a clubhouse is intriguing. if we go that route, then a shootout makes sense since we'll be lugging stuff over anyway. Some ideas for shootouts are:
- DVD players
- SACD/DVD-Audio Players
- projectors

Ultimately, we shoud just do whatever the host is comfortable with...

-Rajiv

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Well...
What if we combined the laid back and the technical stuff? I happen to be building an HTPC right now for the Miniplex (tm) and would be open to having another meet at my place if we want to do a comparison of HTPC vs stand alone pre/pro + dvd player. My HTPC does both audio and video processing, so it would be an all-out comparison. We could do the listening and viewing tests (someone will need to provide a component to RGBHV break out box), and then for those that want to kick back we can throw in a dvd after dark and witness the magic that is CRT front projection. The big drawback to my place is the Miniplex only seats 7 at a time.
I could be persuaded to haul the HTPC to someone else's place if they have more room.
If we do it at my place it will need to be at the end of September, I still have a lot of painting/construction/converging that needs to be done. Hmm, how about a theater construction party? :) You guys help me finish the Miniplex and we can watch all the movies you want!
Almost forgot, we are still planning on putting up a local discussion forum on the Mirus server. No timeline, but it is in the works. Of course, meets will still be planned on HTF so as to reach the largest possible audience.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Oh, if anyone's interested, here are the specs on the HTPC:

Hardware:
Duron 1GHz
256MB DDR RAM
Radeon 7500 64MB
Lite-On 163 DVD-ROM
M-Audio Delta 410 24/96 8 channel soundcard

Software:
PowerDVD XP 4 w/DD , DTS, DPL II
WinDVD Plus
Powerstrip
Yxy

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Hey Jonathan,
I would actually be interested in helping you finish your Miniplex, whether it is meet related or not.
I don't have any experience in doing this type of stuff, but I am wanting to learn for when that day comes for my own house.
My height makes me good for mounting and holding things steady. :D

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan, I'm good with a manually-powered fastener impact device and a torque-inducing rotational motion translator. I also have a paint roller extension pole, so let's build. And, with Scott around, no stepladder is needed.

If everyone agrees, we could work on Jonathan's HT on a Saturday afternoon, then break it in with a movie on his HTPC. That or Greg's subdivision clubhouse event. Either one is fine by me.

tm???

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Wow, the suggestion to help with the Miniplex was just a joke, but if you guys really are interested then I'll send you an email off-forum and we can arrange some time. I hope to have everything finished by mid to late September so that we can start having movie nights as soon as possible.

Hank,
I'd love to get your opinion on a DIY projector mount. The guys over at AVS recommend lag bolting Unistrut directly into the ceiling joists. Seems kind of risky to me considering the crt weighs about 165lbs.

Dave Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
Jonathan,

I had my old Zenith Pro881X CRT (about 120lbs with mount) mounted to the ceiling using a Peerless Mount which was lag bolted (4 of em) into the joist. Before putting the CRT on it I tried hanging from it, swinging from it, ANYTHING to see if it would give. It didn't, and it hung there fine for 3yrs till I upgraded to my 3.3lb DLP. Which is hung via $4 in PVC pipe and drywall screws. :)

Anyways, if you can somehow use my Peerless mount I'll let it go cheap.... It includes both a 12" extension as well as the flush mount.

Also, I'm up for a projector shootout of sorts. I'd also like to see the HTPC vs. DVD comparison.

-Dave

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan, I was going to say that big lag bolts should work fine, but Dave is giving you real world experience. If you want insurance, run a 2 x 6 across the joist and over the adjacent two joists. If his mount will work and you don't have one, or can return one you just bought, start bartering.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Mark has one of the Panny progressive scan DVD players with the Faroujda processor. That would be a good one to compare to HTPC. However, without a stand alone scaler, it's probably not a fair comparison. My HTPC is set to 720p-960p vs the 480p output of the dvd player. On a crt projector the scan lines will be visible with the dvd player. Anyone have a scaler they could offer up? Is the HTPC vs DVD player really what we want to do? Where did everyone go? Is it too soon for another meet?

Dave, I sent you an email about the Peerless, I might be interested. And just so we're all on the same page, you guys are saying that it's cool to lag bolt into the edge of the joist, i.e. drilling a 3/8" hole into something that's only 1 1/2" wide?

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
I'll offer up my DVD player if you guys want it, a humble Panny RP-62. Deinterlacing (Sage/Faroudja FLI2200 chip) is great but I agree with Jonathan scaling the output makes kinda screws the comparison.

I'd like to see what an HTPC does with my Sharp pj though. The progressive scan RP-62 was a big step up from feeding interlaced video to the Sharp in terms of jaggies and motion tearing, but I still have some minor aliasing issues with the Sharp's internal scaler.

OH and you DIY screen guys: I have a sample of Ken's (KBK's) Digital Grey Screen Goo on the way to me as of this week if anyone is interested in looking at a sample.

Mark

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Since not much is going on in terms of planning the next meet, I figured I'd make you all jealous instead :D
I have the world's greatest girlfriend.
Not only did she gladly volunteer her considerable interior design skills for the Miniplex, but last night we had a rather interesting phone conversation that led to the revelation above. She likes tv much more than I do and is always bugging me to put at tv in my bedroom. I have always staunchly resisted the idea of a tv in the bedroom because I think it totally ruins the ambiance of the room, and all I do in my bedroom is sleep, so why would I want a tv in there, I'm never gonna watch it. However, last night while sitting on my bed I realized that directly across from the bed, behind the wall, is the linen closet in the master bath. I jokingly told her that we could knock out a section of the wall and flush mount a tv in the wall using the linen closet as a cabinet. To which she replied, "that's a great idea." So pushing it one step further I added, "yeah and then I can add 5.1 sound to the bedroom and have a second theater." To which she replied, "that's a great idea."
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At this point I felt obligated to be realistic, so I said, "You don't think that's a bit of overkill, having a theater in my bedroom?" Her reply, "No, not at all."
Oh, she's also the one who said, "I think you should get the Barco instead of the Sony projector, it's only $800 more."
And did I mention she's smart AND beautiful?

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Tom Sawyer... I mean Jonathan,
Add me to the "will come over and help build" list. As Hank will tell you, I am better at helping others than trying to get my own stuff done - lol (yes, that's right, I still haven't fished that RG6 through the atic yet...)
As for the next meet being a "chill out and watch movie night" or a "BYOPP (bring your own pocket protector) scientific engineering analysis testing" - I guess as much as it sounds terribly geeky, I prefer the BYOPP meets as they have been getting more and more interesting and educational each time we have them.
On the otherhand, I love a good movie party as much as anyone else, so why not have both? Or specifically, we could continue to have the BYOPP meets on the same every other month schedule, and have "Movie Nights" on a regular basis... I mean, it just means for those with HTs to pick a night, make the annoncement, gather the RSVPs, and once the seats are all taken, turn the lights off and enjoy the shows!
To get the ball rolling, I'll start a new Thread - Austin Movie Nights!
While my HT is still getting tweaked (still working on a masking system, waiting on blinds, planning on upgrading audio components, redesinging equipment rack, building storage cabinets for 700 DVDs, 1000 LPs, 1,500 CDs - OUCH! oh yeah... still haven't finished my component cable yet..."
But besides all that... no seriously, my HT system is good enought to be thouroughly enjoyed by many (as determined by the countless visits by my neighbors who want to watch movies and play PS2 games). So if you like I can see about hosting a Movie Night. I do have one HUGE determining factor, and that is of course my new born son, but I might be able to schedule something that wont interfere with the baby's needs.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Johathan, first things first: Hang on to that girlfriend!! Smart, beautiful and approves of HT? Be very nice to her. I can send you a link to Tiffany's on-line ordering web site.
Second: Does she have a sister? On second thought, make this item #1.
Third: Your joists are at least 2x6's right? We can take a look at the situation. Maybe bolts all the way through the joists would be better.
Nils, I terminate one end of expensive Canare component video cable, take the whole coil to your house, leave it with you to snake through the ceiling so I can come back and terminate the other end, and here we are weeks later, and....being a new father keeps one busy, doesn't it? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks