What's new

Time to make sawdust... (1 Viewer)

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Of this bunch, I'm only familiar with the Shivas. A corner loaded pair in a stuffed 8ft^3 bipolar layout tuned to 16Hz with dual 15" PRs and driven with a USA900 amp popped drywall joints. When you're 'ready to rumble' there's no replacement for displacement. :)

GM

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Okay - I owe a buddy a present, so I'm gonna buy a speaker (or two...).

Here's the deal. He wants a sub that'll go both low and loud... He intends to power it with an old Phase Linear 700 (that's 350/side of honest power).

What would you guys suggest? I'm sorta considering several options:

Pair of Shivas
Single PE DVC
Pair of PE Quatros
Pair of PE Titanics

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
I'm guessing that, since I'll be using a pair of woofs, and feeding it with some good power, that I can tune the box a little lower than "optimal," without losing too much dB-wise, right? He'd really like to rumble. He's sorta been thinking of buying an SVS 16-46, but we're thinking that a DIY may work better, especially since he's got the amp (he's also got three PL400s that are gonna run the other speakers).

Pretty sure we're gonna vent the thing, and probably hook a BFD up in the line... I guess the next decision, assuming twin woofs, will be to decide if I put 'em in firing the same way, or in a push-pull config...

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'd consider the stryke drivers AV12/AV15 as for a similar price to the above drivers you'll get more displacement. Maybe the cheapest best bargin is contact audio liquidators and pick up some of the blueprint 1201s (about half the price of the Shivaes, and very similar performance with a better build quality imho).

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Okay - it's looking like a pair of 15"ers... I really don't want to go with the passive radiator bit, since I think it'll be a bit easier to tune with a vent, right?

On the "displacement" concept: Just assume that my bud's amp is the essential equivalent of a very large early 70's muscle car...

Roberto R

Auditioning
Chuck, Your friends set up using PL amps should sound good.
I would be nervous using these amps to crank out the bass due to the output stages failing and sending 85v - 95V DC to the speakers. Those protection fuses on the amp are way to slow. They have never protected my speakers.
Has he modified the amps to protect against output stage failure? They don't call these amps Flame Linear's for nothing. I am curious as I have had my amp since 1978 and have experienced 6 or so catastrophic failures. There is a mod to protect them and if your friend has done it I would be interested to find out what it was.
Nothing like an amp with a brute force power supply. Inefficient but effective Just like a 69 Road Runner

Rob

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
I have no idea - I know he's had 'em worked on a time or two... The things will most definitely make the lights dim and your ears bleed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks