What's new

Time to hook up the new stuff...whoa! (1 Viewer)

ChrisDS

Grip
I have the following equipment that tomorrow I will be receiving the last of:

Panasonic 42" plasma HDTV (TH-42PX50U)
Harman/Kardon AVR240
Panasonic S97 DVD player
Motorola DCT6412 III (Cox DVR)
Klipsch RVX-42 for the front left/right & center
Klipsch R-5650-S for the rear left/right
Klipsch RW-10 subwoofer

What is the best way to hook the DVR and DVD up to the receiver? The guy @ CC said to hook the DVR straight to the TV with an HDMI cable and then run an optical cable to the receiver. Then for the DVD run component video to the TV and optical to the receiver. Is this correct?

I noticed that the receiver has a connector labeled monitor, should I connect that to the TV then use component video & optical audio from the DVD and DVR to the receiver?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Chris.

The guy at CC actually gave you some good advice.

In truth - there are several ways to hook things up. Some make the system easy for the family to use, others give the best sound and video, but take some remote-juggling to switch around.

The guy from CC basic told you to:

- Run video to the TV
- Run audio to the reciever

Which is the best way to go for optimal video and sound.

VIDEO TO THE RECIEVER

This is for convience, and often does not work as well as expected.

If your reciever has a single RCA jack that says "Monitor" out - it only outputs composite video. Your DVD and CATV box can produce a much higher quality video than a composite cable can handle, so you would 'cripple' these devices by using a composite video cable.

But it would make the system easy to operate. The receiver would flip the audio and video together with a single remote. It would just be crappy 1940's standard video, not HD video.

Hope this helps.

ChrisDS

Grip
OK, sounds good so far. A couple more questions though:

The H/K AVR 240 receiver has a "monitor out" that is component video. Would it still be optimal to do all video straight to the TV and all audio to the receiver? I don't care about convienence...I want the best audio and video quality, the wife is used to juggling a few remotes.

as far as the video cables to the tv goes, I have one HDMI on the TV, which means one device will get component video (or both, and not use the HDMI). Would it be better to use all component video or use the HDMI connection on either the DVD or DVR and component video on the other device and which device would I want to connect to which cable?

Also, is digital coax for the audio from the DVR and DVD? If so, would that be better or would an optical audio cable be better?

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Chris here is my .02

If you are "only" running two pieces of video sources then it is fine and acceptable to connect those sources directly to the TV and the sound to the H/K.....I also would use digital coax connections IMO because some of the cheaper optical cables don't have a good connector that keeps the cable "locked" in place.....a real pain if you have to keep puling your receiver out to replug. There is technically not any difference in audio quality due to the signal being digital it either gets there or it doesn't just a different transport method.

Now if you have more video sources than inputs on your TV then it is an excellent idea to use your receiver as a video switcher by sending the video signal to the H/K and then send on the video signal from the H/K to the TV if you don't want to be constantly switching cables on the back of your TV.

Hope this helps

ChrisDS

Grip
So which video cables should I use to connect the DVR and the DVD to the TV? I have one HDMI on the TV but both devices have HDMI outputs. Or should I skip the HDMI and hook both up with component video?

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Chris I would hook up each component and see which one makes the best use of the HDMI and which one works the best with component. Also I have heard (but not experienced) that you will see very little difference between a quality component hook up vs. HDMI. Play around with it and see what you come up with.

Or you could run a set of component cables to your H/K from each video source and then you would run one component set to the TV from the H/K leaving your HDMI input for future use for say a HD-DVD 0r Blu-ray or PS3.

ChrisDS

Grip
I was told that I should hook the DVD player up with the HDMI because some DVD players won't upconvert if they are connected with component video. I'm not sure if the Panasonic S97 that was delivered today will or not.

New problem though...My TV is not wall mounted and I mounted one of the RVX-42's sideways for the center channel. Only problem is the speaker is about a half inch higher than the bottom of the display thus getting in the way of the view if you are sitting on the couch. How can I remedy this without having to mount the TV on the wall? The TV stand doesn't have a shelf underneath to place the speaker, it only has three doors to hide components.

Any suggestions would be great!

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Chris here is a linkthat might help you with the component question.

In regards to your next question I think I understand what your dilemma is but maybe I need some extra clarification. Your TV is on a stand? Right? Is the stand part of the TV or is is a separate thing all together? And the way the speaker is mounted it blocks the bottom part of your TV display? Well my suggestion would be to move the speaker above your TV if that is possible. I have seen center channel speakers mounted above and below the display and if they are properly angled at the viewer there should not be any difference.

Or if the doors on your TV stand are removable then take the center door off and place your speaker in there. Unless that would not pass the WAF. ;)

Regards

Rick

ChrisDS

Grip
OK, I'll try to clarify...

That is what the TV is sitting on.

Here is the problem:

The speaker with the stand is just a little too tall. I measured before I bought, but I thought the dimensions included the stand...apparently not.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Man, I hate :frowning: it when that kind of thing happens! There are aftermarket stands available for that TV that might help. Assuming the speaker can come off its stand will it sit just on the furniture? If not, you might look for something suitable (something like a very wide case for silver flatware?)or even make something for it to sit on that will support it but stay out of the way.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I hate that kind of thing!!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: I would agree with Dick your best option is probably to keep the speaker where it is and raise the TV up..

You could if your are DIY type build a simple frame out of say 1x2 or 2x2 skin it with 1/4 mdf and then have the MRS. ;) cover it with a fabric to match your decor or a dark color or something of the sort. or............

Trash the whole thing and get a Front Projector:D Just kidding on that one.

Chris man I know that what you got sucks! I hate thinking that I've got all the bases covered only to find that the info I was relying on was not clear or just wrong altogether.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Great Day and it even passed the WAF :D :D :D :D :D

Glad you were able to clear this hurdle, lets just hope that your won't need to do "a little reading" for a while.;) ;)

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

Mentioning Monster around here can tend to raise some dander......there is a lot of debate on how much cables affect/effect certain applications. It is the "general" view of members here that Monster is overpriced at the very least.

Look here for some insite to that question.

If it helps, once I get my dedicated basement HT squared away I will be using a mixture of DIY cables, bluejeans cable, and NXG based on recommendations from members around here.

ChrisDS

Grip
The guy who ran the speaker wire inside the walls for me and installed my rear in-wall speakers swears by Ethereal and included a set of those in my invoice. The Ethereal HDMI cable was only $38. Being pretty new to this my first impression was "there has to be a reason why Monster cables are three times higher"...I guess because of marketing.

If I'm not satisfied with Ethereal, I'll definitly go with bluejeanscable.com so I can have them "cut to length"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks