Time to finally admit: I've lost my Sony Clie. (want to replace it with something)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by McPaul, Apr 1, 2004.

1. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    I loved my old Clie. It was a T615. Great little unit. I had my life in there (yes, the info was protected). I actually lost it, probably quite a while ago. Just waited around and hoped it turned up. Not a chance!

So what should I replace it with? Is Sony still the top dog? Who's the latest winner in the endless Palm OS vs. Windows debate?

I still have my Sony cradle, but unfortunately lost all my software when my computer recently died on me.

I've seen that Sony UX-50 unit in stores and it looks VERY impressive! Does anyone here own one?

When do the new models of each brand come out? Is now the time to buy?

Thanks.

2. andrew markworthy

I've had a Clie NX 70 for the last year or thereabouts and it's superb. [Before that I had an earlier generation Clie (a little monochrome screen number) which was fine, but I found screen visibility a problem].

I'd personally check on the availability of a slightly older model on ebay. I've not been all that impressed by the 'improvements' between models. Most of the time the older model will do all you want at the speed you need. I'd personally save money this way and then buy in some useful softwart like datebook and a decent memory card for music.

3. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Paul, you might want to check out ClieSource, which contains very active discussion forums on all things Clie. You may have to wait a bit - I just went out there to verify the URL and they said they are in the middle of restoring their forums after a database corruption.

I am currently using an NX-80V (recently discontinued). I love it, and hope it lasts a LONG time. If I were buying one today, I'd probably go with the TH-55. I really like the HiRes+ (320x480) screens. The UX's look cool, but I'm not a fan of the landscape form factor in PDAs. YMMV.

Of course you can get the details of all current models at SonyStyle.com.

4. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    both of you use the NX series hm?

Interesting. I like the idea of having a keypad right on the unit. My buddy bought a keypad and never used it.

I'll check around for the older NX series, Andrew, although I've never used ebay before, I'm a bit leery of doing so for such an expensive item the first time out but I will check the stores.

Craig, thanks for the link. I was looking for a site that did reviews earlier this am but couldn't find anything good.

I'd like a keypad, bluetooth, possibly even wifi as well.

I realize that the landscape screen might be an issue for that UX series, so might at least wait for new models if that's what I'll get.

You both use Clie's. Does this mean that they, as well as Palm OS is still the better one to get?

5. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

I bought an NR70V clie off of Ebay, was a store demo unit, I do not recoment buying these, buy a new one, I really like the unit but It has quit on my more than once and been back for repairs twice, also the camera built into it is not worth the extra money

when it works it is great, but I keep my old palmIIIc around to back up the data

6. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

I originally bought a NR70V about 3 months ago from a pawn shop in my neighbourhood, and loved it! After doing some research though, I found out that you couldn't do WiFi with the NR series because of the lack of the CF port, so I decided that I'd find a NX70V (same model) instead from e-bay.

As luck would have it, I found an NX70V that was fully functional, except for a broken screen (the guy had sat on it). I won the auction for an insanely low price, and when I got it I swapped the screens between my NR & my NX, so now I have a fully function NX, and an NR that still works but has a cracked screen...

(If I can find a cheap replacement screen, I'm going to fix the NR and make it a gift to someone, or use it as a spare).

In any event, I love the functionality in my NX70V! It's superb, and can even play full-length movies! The camera in the NX can also be used to take decent still pictures, and can do video as well. It's a neat little tool to have with you, considering you never know when you'll need a camera, voice recorder, or video camera. It also can't be beat for a personal entertainment unit - imagine going on a long plane-ride and watching your own movies instead of the edited drek that they play during the flight! [​IMG]

I highly recommend the NX series, and you can probably get one for relatively cheap off ebay.

Moe.

7. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

I lost my Palm M505 in June. Searched everywhere and resolved that I had lost it forever.

Then January rolls around. I have to move the passenger seat of the car up to get something in the back and suddenly out falls my Palm Pilot. I had searched that car from top to bottom, but somehow the palm had gotten pushed up in the bottom of the seat.

The moral of the story is go look under your carseats.

8. andrew markworthy

It's the usual case of caveat emptor, but it can't be denied you can get some great bargains on ebay. In this case, however, I was thinking of one of those ebay retailers that sell excess stock of brand new old models [if that makes sense!] at reduced prices.