Time to buy (B&K ref30, Rotel 1066 or 1055)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike Mitrook, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Mike Mitrook

Mike Mitrook Agent

The house is almost ready and I get a dedicated HT! I have been running Rotel separates (rsp-960 and rb-985 w/sony ep9es) and have been pleased with them over the years. The room is wired for 5.1 through 7.1 (depending on $ for speakers, value of 7.1 over 5.1 etc.).

I have been able to find the B&K ref30 for $1200. The Rotel rsp-1066 would be a bit more $ by a few hundred while the rsx-1055 would price out the close to the B&K and I wouldn't have to spend any more on amps to get 7.1.

Any suggestions? Has the 1055 received the same upgrades as the 1066? Does the B&K sound better than Rotel? Speakers are going to be MB Quart S series (did think hard about PSB image as well). I could or course spend less and pick up a used rsp-985thx 5.1 prepro... is 7.1 worth it in a 13x14 room...

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

That B&K is a nice processor.
    You may also want to take a look at the new Integra DTC 9.4
    It's loaded & sounds very nice, although it's not marketed as a upgradeable unit. The street price places it in your current list. I think the B&K sounds better than the Rotel. As we all know this is very subjective, see if you can audition all that are on your short list prior to the final purchase.
    -Jerry

3. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

Mike if you don't mind purchasing online a B&K 30 can be had on eBay for under $1000. I just saw one auctioned off earlier this week for $810 +shipping (I believe $25).

Average price on eBay for one is around $1100 but if your patient you will get one for under $1000. I almost purchased the one for $810. That was a steal!

I prefer the B&K over the Rotel as well.

4. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

Which is better is hard to say...that will be personal...auditioning is the best route to go...

as for 7.1, well, on some things it may be very nice in the right room, a 13x14 room though probably is not large enough. also, there are few discs for 6.1 anyway...if you want to use 7 channels, most of the time its going to be matrixed....i wouldnt worry about it.....5.1 should fill your room nicely...

as for the rotels, the 1055 is cheaper and has a tuner, the 1066 is "higher" end....

also in your price range, you may want to check out adcom....

Rich

5. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I would say that if you could get a B&K Ref 30 for around $1000, then go for it. B&K has just released their upgrade path for the Ref 30 to convert it to Ref 50 status, and I think that the upgrade price is pretty good (around $400-600, if I remember correctly). The Ref 50 has been favorably compared to the Anthem 20, and the newest firmware has supposedly gotten rid of the whine that a small selection of units had. I think that the B&K is just a better all-aorund unit, with more tweakability options and settings, and better overall build quality. This is no knock on the Rotel, but the B&K Ref 30 was just geared toward a diff. price point. I think that if you are looking to get into seperates and are even considering the Ref 30, you should really think about the upgrade path. Good luck choosing

6. Mike Mitrook

Mike Mitrook Agent

I'd like to thank everyone for their input. I went for the ref30 and I'll be picking it up tomorrow! It'll be matched up with a Rotel RB-985 amp for the time being (could be a long time). I've always liked the B&K sound but they have been out of my price range until now. The question of 5.1 v. 7.1 in a smaller room will have to wait for now...
    Mike