TIME MACHINE keeps crashing (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
So much I can't stand it!!!!

PowerMac G5.

OWC external via FW800.

No matter what drive I use in it, I end up having to erase and start over again, as it won't resume after a crash.

RANT OVER.

Ideas?

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Does the external drive have USB 2.0? Have you tried that interface? FW800 is the faster interface of course, but for troubleshooting purposes it would be helpful to know if it works with USB, or even FW400.

Not using Time Machine, can you copy a large amount of files to the drive using the Finder over FW800 without any issues?

Also, over the years Apple has released some firmware updates for some different G5 models, has yours been updated with any applicable firmware?

I have two OWC externals at work and I know one other person that also has two all without any issues. Of course, Time Machine wasn't being used in any of these cases. You might try sending an email to OWC support and see if they have any thoughts.

-Keith

P.S. Hey...we joined in the same year! :)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Well,

We had several power outages last weekend, and the TM backup continued.

A week later, the NEW WD drive died (after 2 weeks of use). Sending back for a replacement.

All firmware up to date - other files copy fine.
Haven't tried other interfaces.

The ONLY pattern (different time/drives) I've noticed is that seems to be a TM file limit at around 330GB (450GB drive, 750GB drive).

That's when it always crashes, and then takes out drive life.

So the claim, 'until drive is full' hasn't been a reality in my case.

"Until your drive dies"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ibella1120
Recent bookmarks