1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Time/Life Press Release: Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In: The Complete Series

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, May 9, 2017.

1. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Martin:
    Thanks for the clarification. I thought that '80s syndication went beyond the first 70 shows, but when I saw that Wikipedia page, I didn't want to just assume someone got it wrong. Glad someone here was able to confirm what I'd suspected.

MartinP. likes this.
  2. Message #322 of 381 Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

Thank you for this. Yes, I'd be interested to see that. For some bizarre reason, stuff like that interests me.

I watched the show on Nick At Nite. Prior to this, it had been on WGN in Chicago but they showed it in the middle of the night, so I never saw it then. I do remember as a Monkees fan, someone had sent me a tape of a few Laugh-In shows they had taped from WOR in New Jersey. There were two with the Monkees as a trio (this was from 1969 after Peter Tork had left the group) but only one with Davy Jones appearing solo, so I suspected what you mentioned about some hours being cut into two shows, with only one (or none) for other shows. Those tapes had bumpers leading into the commercial breaks, which were cut out on Nick.

Years ago I got hold of a TV Preview from the Chicago Sun-Times, from 1968. It said that week's guests on "Laugh-In" would be Victor Borge and the Banana Splits. Nick was still running the "Laugh-In" half-hours at the time and to my utter amazement, one night that one was shown. The Banana Splits only appeared via clips from their own show, but I was shocked that they were left in, and I was very happy to see that entire show (from November 1968 IIRC) on DVD.

likewow likes this.
  3. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin

Mark Y: OK, sure, when I have a chance I will do this...sooner rather than later!

Mark Y likes this.
  4. MartinP.

Martin
    For Mark Y, and anyone else interested, this is what I show to be what the 120 syndicated half-hour episodes were comprised of.
    (See post #320 for more explanation.)

(½) after the episode means a half-hour syndicated program came from that episode.
    (½)(½) after the episode means two half-hour syndicated programs came from that episode.
    Nothing after the episode means no syndicated program came from that episode.

(I tried to post this in columns, but was having trouble.)

Pilot
    1967 Special

Season 1
    Episode 1 (½)
    Episode 2
    Episode 3 (½)
    Episode 4 (½)
    Episode 5
    Episode 6 (½)
    Episode 7 (½)
    Episode 8 (½)
    Episode 9 (½)
    Episode 10 (½)
    Episode 11 (½)
    Episode 12 (½)
    Episode 13 (½)
    Episode 14 (½)

Season 2
    Episode 1 (½)
    Episode 2 (½)(½)
    Episode 3 (½)
    Episode 4
    Episode 5 (½)(½)
    Episode 6 (½)(½)
    Episode 7 (½)
    Episode 8 (½)(½)
    Episode 9 (½)
    Episode 10 (½)
    Episode 11 (½)
    Episode 12 (½)(½)
    Episode 13
    Episode 14 (½)
    Episode 15 (½)
    Episode 16 (½)
    Episode 17
    Episode 18 (½)(½)
    Episode 19 (½)(½)
    Episode 20 (½)
    Episode 21 (½)(½)
    Episode 22 (½)(½)
    Episode 23 (½)
    Episode 24 (½)(½)
    Episode 25 (½)
    Episode 26 (½)

Season 3
    Episode 1 (½)
    Episode 2 (½)
    Episode 3 (½)
    Episode 4 (½)(½)
    Episode 5
    Episode 6 (½)(½)
    Episode 7
    Episode 8 (½)(½)
    Episode 9 (½)
    Episode 10 (½)(½)
    Episode 11 (½)
    Episode 12 (½)(½)
    Episode 13 (½)
    Episode 14 (½)
    Episode 15
    Episode 16 (½)(½)
    Episode 17 (½)(½)
    Episode 18 (½)
    Episode 19 (½)(½)
    Episode 20 (½)(½)
    Episode 21 (½)
    Episode 22 (½)
    Episode 23 (½)
    Episode 24 (½)
    Episode 25 (½)
    Episode 26 (½)(½)

Season 4
    Episode 1 (½)(½)
    Episode 2
    Episode 3 (½)
    Episode 4 (½)
    Episode 5 (½)
    Episode 6 (½)
    Episode 7 (½)(½)
    Episode 8 (½)
    Episode 9 (½)
    Episode 10 (½)(½)
    Episode 11
    Episode 12 (½)(½)
    Episode 13 (½)
    Episode 14 (½)
    Episode 15
    Episode 16 (½)
    Episode 17
    Episode 18 (½)
    Episode 19 (½)
    Episode 20
    Episode 21 (½)
    Episode 22
    Episode 23 (½)
    Episode 24
    Episode 25
    Episode 26

Season 5
    Episode 1 (½)
    Episode 2 (½)
    Episode 3 (½)(½)
    Episode 4 (½)
    Episode 5
    Episode 6 (½)
    Episode 7 (½)
    Episode 8 (½)(½)
    Episode 9 (½)(½)
    Episode 10 (½)
    Episode 11 (½)
    Episode 12 (½)
    Episode 13 (½)
    Episode 14 (½)(½)
    Episode 15
    Episode 16
    Episode 17 (½)
    Episode 18
    Episode 19
    Episode 20 (½)(½)
    Episode 21
    Episode 22
    Episode 23
    Episode 24

Season 6
    Episode 1
    Episode 2
    Episode 3
    Episode 4
    Episode 5
    Episode 6
    Episode 7
    Episode 8
    Episode 9
    Episode 10
    Episode 11
    Episode 12
    Episode 13
    Episode 14
    Episode 15
    Episode 16
    Episode 17
    Episode 18
    Episode 19
    Episode 20
    Episode 21
    Episode 22
    Episode 23
    Episode 24

I have one other 1/2 hr. syndicated episode that I was never able to identify which episode it came from, though my guess so far is that it's from the last half of season 4. If you count the (½) notations above you'll get a total of 119 episodes because of that.

likewow and Mark Y like this.
  5. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    I just watched the 4th episode of season 3 with The Monkees as guest stars, the episode originally aired October 6th 1969. I noticed that only three of The Monkees were in this episode, Peter Tork was missing. So unless he had other obligations at the time, I can only assume that Peter had left the group and was no longer a Monkee when this episode was made.

6. MartinP.

Martin
    That is true. After they completed filming the TV special "33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee" in December of 1968 (it aired in April, 1969) Peter bought out the rest of his contract due to what he deemed an exhausting work schedule. Since then, though, the Monkees popped in and out of the group with each other at various times. I saw their 1986 concert at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles, though Mike Nesmith was not involved in that. (He did pop into one of the Greek Theatre concerts one night, but not the night I was there.) I did see them all together on July 10, 1989, when they received their star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The Monkeemobile even made an appearance!

Tony Bensley likes this.
  7. nobajoba

nobajoba Stunt Coordinator

Todd
    Martin I'm with you. I def. remember that Nick At Nite reran the half hour versions of LI and that they included seasons 4 & 5. That's why I was so happy when TL did this set and we got the whole complete episodes with no edits.

MartinP. likes this.
  8. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

Yeah, he's not on their last three albums (released in 1969-70 after the TV show ended) either.

9. MartinP.

Martin
    [​IMG]

The release date for this hasn't been announced, but it was taped at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood on March 8th.

It's a NetFlix special. Word has it that Lily Tomlin will reprise some of the show's most memorable characters.

Along with original Laugh-In producer George Schlatter, the evening will be filled with an elite lineup of comedians, actors, and musicians paying homage to the iconic show with modern takes on timeless moments. The Netflix special will take some of the show’s best-known sketches and acts from the original hit series, bringing them up-to-date for today’s audiences, proving that even 50 years later, the humor of Laugh-In is timeless.

Some of the announced guests are Billy Crystal, Neil Patrick Harris, Jay Leno, Michael Douglas, Margaret Cho, Taye Diggs, Jon Lovitz, Ron Funches, Tiffany Haddish, Rita Moreno, Maria Bamford, Lisa Ann Walter, Bobby Moynihan, Cheri Oteri, J.B. Smoove, Tony Hale, Natasha Leggero and more… including a couple HUGE surprise guests.

The only other original Laugh-In member included is JoAnne Worley. Health permitting, it would be a shame if Ruth Buzzi and Arte Johnson couldn't make an appearance, as well as Goldie Hawn, who has occasionally participated in Laugh-in events and reunions.

Tony Bensley and mrz7 like this.
  10. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    I don't think this NetFlix special is of interest to me, I'll stay with the original Laugh-In series, the original shows. Some of it is dated, some of it isn't funny, much of it is silly, but it's the original classic and nothing can top it.

11. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I feel that way about all "reunion" type shows. I fully expect this to be a pale imitation of the original with the updated sketches and "modern takes on timeless moments" mostly falling flat. The announced "guests" don't give much hope for real funny either. I'll stick with the original shows.

12. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    The 6th episode of season 2 has several short gags with Rowan & Martin as inept furniture movers. Funny gags, I like those. :laugh:

13. MartinP.

Martin
    Well, as a huge fan of the original series, I do happen to be looking forward to this. I've often wondered what the format would look like "today." I also know that George Schlatter has been continually wanting to bring it back in some form every single decade since it premiered and, perhaps, this is a try-out of sorts for something like that. I always thought that to appeal to people nowadays it would have to take some risks that network television wouldn't allow. It also should be in a format without commercials, IMO, because that's just too many interruptions for a show like this nowadays.

SItcoms have recently been brought back from years ago, like Murphy Brown and Will & Grace, and a revised One Day at a TIme, as well as shows like The X-FIles and Prison Break, so I'm all for this variety show to have a new look at.

I mean, I just recently saw all of Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In Season 6 for the first time in 45-50 years!

14. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    Speaking of season 6, on the DVD's, most of the episodes run about 51 minutes and 30 seconds, but a few are shorter, a little over 50 minutes, and there's one episode that's about 49 minutes and 50 seconds. Time Life advertised the episodes as complete and uncut, most of them probably are but I question if the ones with shorter run times might have been edited and tampered with.

15. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    In the years Laugh-In aired there was roughly 10 minutes per hour allowed for commercials, but it could be less. An unedited episode from that time period should be in the 50 minute range.

From a 1979 report, "PERCEPTUAL DISCREPANCIES IN THE TIME DURATION AND NUMBER OF TELEVISION COMMERCIALS":

Tony Bensley likes this.
  16. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    To those who have the complete series DVD's, take a look at episode 14 of season 6. Go forward to the end of the episode at around the 49:20 mark. Dick Martin tells a joke, then at about the 49:50 mark, Dan Rowan starts to say something, it sounds like he says "Well", but then the scene abruptly cuts and the closing credits start to roll. This could be a possible edit, it appears that Rowan's closing words were edited out.

Tony Bensley and likewow like this.
  17. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    I time checked the season 6 episodes, they all run about 51:30 except for these:

Episode 1: 50:15
    Episode 5: 50:20
    Episode 12: 49:50
    Episode 13: 50:55
    Episode 14: 51:00

So maybe these five shows with the shorter run times have been edited in some form. Episode 14 appears to have been edited at the ending as I mentioned in my previous post.

A few comments about season 2:

Charlie Brill and Mitzi McCall were an interesting experiment, appearing in some episodes as "the fun couple", but it seems their routines didn't go over too well as they were only in a few episodes and then they were gone. :unsure:

I would have liked to see Chelsea Brown stay on with the show longer, I like her better than Teresa Graves. Same with Dick Whittington. I would have liked to see him stay on longer with the show also.

Alan Sues is mostly annoying, I could have done without him on this show. Dave Madden is annoying also but to a somewhat lesser degree. He left Laugh-In after season 2 and ended up with the role of Reuben Kincaid on The Partridge Family.

I had thought that The Holy Modal Rounders were something that was created/fabricated for Laugh-In, but they actually were a real group, with some of the worst sounding music ever created, it sounds more like noise than music. :laugh:

Season 2 is said to be Judy Carne's last season, although she appears in several episodes of season 3. Judy's my favorite so I miss her in the episodes after she's gone, a few other cuties joined the cast in seasons 4-6 to help Judy's absence be a little less noticeable. ;)

18. Message #338 of 381 Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    MartinP.

Martin
    Lee, I don't know, absolutely of course, why those five would be shorter than the approximately 51:30 running time of the other episodes in Season 6, but how absolute were running times for variety series? Are Carol Burnett Show episodes ever a minute or more different than the norm, for example? Would they sell extra minutes for a commercial? The first two were during the fall election in 1972, would they have added a commercial minute for an election ad? The other three are all in a row in December. Did NBC want a minute to advertise a holiday program? Just wondering.

The question you pose is: was that the length of the original broadcast or have they been edited? (How could we know?) I can tell you that what I've noticed from all 6 seasons on the collection that, leaving aside any editing questions, they are the complete episodes as aired the last time they officially aired on NBC.

What I mean by that is I have noticed some anomalies, that I've previously mentioned on this thread, that were due to the last time the program aired as a rerun. (Laugh-In only reran a handful of each season's episodes before going off air for the summer.) For example, in one episode you'll hear Rowan & Martin discuss the following week's episode will feature William F. Buckley, Jr. as a guest, which he was when that hour aired as a rerun, but not when that program originally was broadcast a year earlier! (They edited that promo into the show. What, if anything, was edited out?)

Another example is that in an originally aired January episode one year there's a brief mention of the Academy Awards airing next Monday on NBC. The Oscars were in April that year...the episode had been rerun the week before. (Edit or addition?)

Another example is from the first season. In the Laugh-In book by Hal Erickson he notes that the first season episode S1 Ep. 7 features the Bee Gees singing "Lemons Never Forget." He also notes that S1 Ep. 10 features a reprise of the Bee Gees singing this song. In the DVD set, the Bee Gees are credited and sing that song in Ep. 10, but they aren't seen in episode 7, however, there's a second or so blank silent joke wall insert in the intro segment which makes me wonder if that was where they might have been credited for the song originally in Episode 7, and, perhaps when the episode was rerun in 1968, they edited it out of that episode and replaced it with some other material so as not to duplicate that group's appearance again, because the running time for Episode 7 is comparable to all other episodes. Perhaps some new material was added in. The only other possibility is that the Hal Erickson info is incorrect, but we aren't missing anything with a comparable running time.

I guess when Laugh-In was on and they reran episodes, they occasionally tweaked/altered the original videotapes. Not hard to understand considering how they initially had to edit this show together. So the tweaked/altered reruns became the default originals. That's what it seems like to me.

So as not to make this post any longer, I'm continuing it in another one.

Tony Bensley and Lecagr like this.
  19. MartinP.

Martin
    I believe I know why Episode 14 is shorter than those others.

Season 6 is the only season where, at the end of their final monologue together in each episode, Dan & Dick say to take a look at some footage of next week's episode. I wonder if you have noticed that those segments in Season 6 do not always correspond to the next episode on the DVD? That's because they reran 9 episodes in March into May of 1973 (and one more on July 23rd) after the original programs ended and if you line those up in order, they replaced the preview segments in order of the rerun episodes. The only way I know that is because in the Hal Erickson book he lists the episodes that were rerun and those air dates.

Episode 14 is shorter by about 30 seconds because it's the only 6th Season episode that doesn't have a preview for the next week's episode. I believe it was edited out and what you see Dan starting to say is about the preview for the next episode. Why was it edited out? Two possible reasons. One is that the following two weeks after that aired was Christmas and New Year's. A rerun was aired on Christmas Day and it was pre-empted on New Year's. The following week's new episode was originally supposed to air on November 6th, but was pre-empted by an NBC special, probably about the next day's election, and was re-scheduled for January 8th. So, either way, Episode 14 had an incorrect preview in it and since there wouldn't be any new episode for three weeks, they just edited it out. Hence the shorter running time.

As for your editing query, I'd like to think they were not. They have put back into previously released episodes music that was originally edited out, even a Sinatra song! They have re-inserted a blackface segment in one song number. In one instance in a Season 5 episode there is audio, the punchline to one joke, that is perhaps edited out. Or it was originally a mistake (?), but they left the segment in anyway and it's there sans some audio. I know someone mentioned a short Carol Burnett Show skit that was edited out of an episode where Carol was portraying an Asian woman. Well, in Season 6 Sarah Kennedy portrays an Asian woman in many episodes in the news segments and that wasn't edited out. So, if anything has been edited, it must've been really offensive.

Tony Bensley and Lecagr like this.
  20. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    Thanks Martin for all your comments. So the preview for the next episode at the end of season 6 episode 14 was removed which explains the 51:00 run time instead of 51:30. If the four other episodes with the shorter run times were edited, at least it's minor because the shortest episode is still close to 50 minutes. If anything was edited, I agree it's probably material that was considered to be offensive.

As I was watching season 6, I liked the set that was designed for this season with the light blue/light green color scheme. It has a pleasing look to it.