1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Time/Life Press Release: Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In: The Complete Series

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, May 9, 2017.

1. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    Amazon has this ready to order!

COMING ON 9/4:

Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete 6th Season (Time Life)
    $39.95 SRP DVD
    ___

Here you go, Regulus!

I've just been re-watching Season 6, I have one episode left!
    (The only one not syndicated at present.)

2. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Maybe the "tech slanted" reviewers have never seen an episode on TV (the show was very rarely syndicated, and the previous DVD releases weren't exactly widespread). If the reviewer doesn't know the show was shot on/aired from 2" videotape, then he isn't aware that what he's seeing is improperly encoded.

Why should I buy/watch these sets when I already know from other reviewers (who I trust know what their eyes are telling them) that these sets have encoding problems? Unlike you, I have seen this show before (with its "on-video" look intact), so when someone else who also knows what the show is supposed to look like tells me the DVDs are botched, I believe them. I'll hold onto my money until (if ever) Time/Life owns up to their mistake and releases a corrected version.

Good for you (and I mean that with sincerity). If you can overlook the encoding issues, then I'm glad you can enjoy them, but that's no reason to slam those of us who are upset that Time/Life dropped the ball big time on this. One might understand a botched episode here or there, but an entire six seasons worth?

As was said, editorial changes are somewhat understandable (including the initial music substitutions to "The Fugutive", which enough people got in an uproar about that the studio had to go back and re-release the entire thing). This is a technical issue. It's just unknown whether it was a mistake (which seems likely) or intentional (like the cropped widescreen on season 1 of Kung Fu). If it's the latter, then truly, the morons are in charge!

Jesse Skeen likes this.
  3. MartinP.

Martin
    I have seen it before.

--I've seen it when it originally aired. (Except most of the last season.)
    --I saw all of the half hour versions first syndicated in 1983-84 and have most of them on VHS tapes.
    --I have about 40 episodes taped from the Trio channel broadcasts.
    --I have the pretty recent special broadcast on PBS on DVD.
    --I have the 3 NBC specials done in 1993-94 on VHS and the DVD releases called The Producer's Collection.
    --I have the Rhino Best of Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In Vols. 1 & 2.
    --I have the Guthy-Renker Laugh-In collection.
    --I've seen many of the Decades channel airings of the series and recorded many before the DVD release.
    --I've seen a compilation version of the series on a movie screen at the DGA.

And I'll see it all again!

I've asked for official sources (and provided contact info besides) for the complaints you and a couple others (who haven't even seen any of these releases) have made for verification of your continued complaints and no one has done so. Sorry if I don't trust a few random people I don't know and their technical opinions of things. As I mentioned once, there was a discussion of how awful a movie looked started by someone who found out later on he was color blind. Yet everyone was discussing it like he knew what he was talking about. So forgive my skepticism when people start complaining about things from the hearsay of others. That's not "slamming" anyone. That's looking for more info and/or sources. So far. of which, there's been none.

4. AndyMcKinney

My apologies, I know there were at least a couple people in this thread who were watching these for the first time, so wrongly assumed you were one of them.

What I don't understand is that if you have truly seen episodes via all the above sources, I'm puzzled at how you cannot see the frame rate difference between all of the above sources and the Time-Life DVDs (I deleted a few of your sources above as I have no idea how they're presented on Decades, for instance). Correct me if I'm wrong, but you did say you cannot see this difference, right?

If you have the G-R and Rhino sets still, you should be able to do a head-to-head comparison on select episodes yourself. I'd be really surprised if you can truly tell no difference.

If you cannot tell any difference in those two sources and the Time-LIfe DVDs, maybe your TV is set up incorrectly?

Most HDTVs these days have "motion enhancement filters" that are turned "on" by default. Most people have to put their TV into "game" mode to turn these so-called enhancements off. If you've not fiddled with your TV settings, then it's quite likely your TV is still running those filters, which are "correcting" the faulty T-L picture to make it look like 2" video. That's the only way I can figure that the picture would to you look the same as the previous sources.

(of course, if your TV has these filters turned on, then those would also likely be making shot-on-film stuff look like videotape as well).

5. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

Would this "fix" the problem? My guess is no, not really. Just curious, I haven't seen these yet.

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I played with that setting, it doesn’t truly restore the picture to how it’s supposed to look. I’ve used that for stuff like online video that was in the wrong frame rate, with varying results.

7. nobajoba

nobajoba Stunt Coordinator

Todd

I'm so glad the seasons are being released individually and I realize it probably saves a bit of money but when the whole series was released I just couldn't wait and ordered the whole thing from TimeLife. I don't regret it, to have the entire series at my disposal was worth every penny.

MartinP. and Regulus like this.
  8. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    1/3/2019, consider this series SOLD! :)

MartinP. and nobajoba like this.
  9. John Karras

John Karras Second Unit

Lawrence
    [QUOTE="AndyMcKinney, post: 4629270, member: 313271

What I don't understand is that if you have truly seen episodes via all the above sources, I'm puzzled at how you cannot see the frame rate difference between all of the above sources and the Time-Life DVDs [/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I believe this argument has become a lost cause. With the advent of flat screen TV's which have a number of deficiencies displaying legacy material and more "gamer" generation viewers, those who appreciate the very distinct difference between the live/tape look and the film look have become the minority. What I don't know is whether these improper encoding situations are the result of brute ignorance or a deliberate decision to "modernize" the look of the material given today's audience and technology.

As to any particular poster here who believes that this complaint is not valid and limited to a few complainers, I suggest they review the Shout Factory debacle where this exact same mess was made with Season 7 of "All In The Family". DVD reviewers failed to make mention of it; the "looks fine to me" crowd was out in full force; YET in the end, those with the technical awareness to challenge Shout's botched encoding job won out prompting Shout to admit to what they amusingly acknowledged as "an encoding anomaly" (translation: the guy doing the encoding didn't have a clue) and was corrected in the complete series release.

MatthewA likes this.
  10. AndyMcKinney

Given some of the things that have happened in the past, I'd wager my money on ignorance/mistake rather than anything intentional. The real question is, did Time-Life make an encoding mistake at their end, or were they supplied with botched masters (maybe they were sent de-interlaced masters that were intended for streaming services) that no-one ever bothered to question?

Unlike All in the Family, though, the complete set came out first, and also, every single episode of every single season is affected, so I'd say there's absolutely no hope of this getting fixed, unless the set goes OOP and someone else re-releases it in the future (which is also unlikely). Glad this isn't a "grail" show for me!

11. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

That they didn’t even bother to fix the individual sets that were issued later shows that they don’t know what they’re doing. Why didn’t they hire ME to do these instead?

MatthewA likes this.
  12. John Karras

John Karras Second Unit

Lawrence
    Even an average Joe with a DVD recorder would have gotten a correct encode.

Jesse Skeen likes this.
  13. MartinP.

Martin
    So, I did review this online, on the Home Theater Forum where it's mentioned, and some other places that I googled. I see nothing comparable in what I read with what people said the All in the Family Season 7 set looked like and what this Laugh-In series looks like. Also, by the way, I did not see this anywhere I searched: the "looks fine to me" crowd was out in full force.

I never suggested that what you guys are writing about is not valid. What I have been asking for, for months now, are sources for your comments instead of your own opinions and even offered two sources for anyone who wanted to find out more information, but so far no one has done that and only opinions are being offered, and as I've stated before, from past experiences on this forum and the internet in general about subjects like these, I'll need more than just people who state opinions as facts to believe something. So if there are continued postings about it, how about some sources for the opinions?

14. AndyMcKinney

here's a quote from someone who purchased (and watched) the Time-Life episodes (and compared them to the previous Rhino ones (post #27).

For those who don't want to (or can't) read the link:

Simon Curtis: I'm very pleased I kept hold of the Rhino releases until I'd had a chance to look at the new Time-Life seasons sets. I only have the first season, but I was dismayed to see that the original 60i video has been de-interlaced to 30p. I have many Region 1 DVDs of video based shows, including some others from Time-Life, and this is the first instance I can recall when the video has been improperly handled for the DVD presentation. Typically this is a show that had a snappy, almost live feel to it - "hello you folks out there in video land" Dan says in one early episode. The immediacy of the original video recordings was preserved nicely on the Rhino discs in 2003 as they just did straight 60i encodes from the video masters (albeit with some slight editing). With the Time-life release that live feel is replaced by a de-interlaced film look to all the motion. On top of that, rather than encode the NTSC video as 720x480 4:3, they've encoded the 4:3 image within a 16:9 frame with black borders so the resolution of the active picture is effectively reduced to 540 pixels horizontally. So, although I applaud them for clearing the whole series for release and keeping the episodes unedited (to the point of retaining the pregnant pauses for sponsorship), quality wise this is a disaster. You'd hope that 14 years on a new DVD release would at least be the same if not an improvement.

15. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    Interesting discussion going on here so I thought I'd join in. To me, the most important thing about these Laugh In DVD's from Time Life is that the shows appear to be uncut, each show running a little over 50 minutes in length. So I applaud Time Life for that since it seems they were able to clear everything including music. Regarding the video quality which is being debated here, to be honest it looks fine to me, the image is fullscreen and I don't notice anything obvious that jumps out at me indicating that the video was improperly transferred. While it's possible Time Life might have erred with the video transfer process, I myself am not having problems with it and I'm satisfied with the DVD's. I have seasons 1 thru 5 and am waiting for the release of season 6. A few of the shows have an audio level that's a little on the soft side but it's a minor issue, not really a big deal.

Judy Carne is cute, she's my favorite one on the show but I don't blame her for leaving, she might have got tired of being the "sock it to me girl", being doused with water all the time, she was talented but her talents weren't always fully utilized on the Laugh In show.

In some early second season shows, there are some good quickie visual gags with Rowan and Martin playing inept furniture movers, those are funny. The cocktail party segments are highlights as well.

nobajoba and MartinP. like this.
  16. MartinP.

Martin
    It's been noted that some people who see current 3-D movies are physically affected by it in various ways that others are not. Maybe that's the case here. Some people are bothered by something that others are not.

If you notice, people who are experts in certain areas of knowledge often are more critical of movies that coincide with their expertise. It's because they know so much about a particular subject. As an example, I remember reading about Tommy LaSorda saying he never really likes to watch baseball movie because he finds so many things wrong with them, particularly the way an actor might behave or use the tools of the game...bats, balls, gloves and such. That's understandable. People who live in Los Angeles often find errors in continuity with filming locations that are completely fine to anyone who doesn't know particular locations. Maybe it is with this issue, too. Some know so much about the technology that it bothers them and it doesn't bother others.

I just feel that the people who are bringing this up here are presenting it as something wrong and those of us that aren't bothered by it are supposed to or should feel that way, too. Not to disparage your source, AndyM., but I searched that out and read that before when you mentioned it and...well, is that Simon person a source I should trust? He's only posted 8 times total on that forum and is from Britain which doesn't use Region 1 products, so they'd need converting, no? And, as I said, the things people were writing about and complaining about concerning the Season 7 set of All in the Family bears no resemblance to anyone's stated issue of this Laugh-In series release.

The very first Laugh-In joke in Episode 1:

"What you are about to see is true."

(Flashing on screen) FALSE

BobO'Link, Lecagr and Malcolm R like this.
  17. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Also similar to the "rainbow effect" with some projectors. Some see it, some do not.

With regard to 3D, theatrical 3D gives me headaches; home 3D is awesome and does not affect me.

18. Message #298 of 371 Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    I would be curious to see one of the Laugh In DVD's issued by Rhino and compare it with one of the Time Life discs to see if I notice any differences in video quality. As I stated previously, the Time Life discs look fine to me, when watching the shows I haven't noticed anything that's obviously wrong, image is fullscreen and there's no herky jerky motion in the picture that might indicate a problem with the frame rate, but I don't claim to be a video expert and maybe my eyes aren't trained to notice such defects. Time Life has issued many CD's and DVD's over the years and they aren't known for major mess ups, which makes this situation all the more puzzling but it's interesting to talk about. I'm just glad the Laugh In shows are presented uncut on the Time Life discs. It's awesome to have these shows uncut.

likewow, nobajoba and MartinP. like this.
  19. MartinP.

Martin
    One option: If you subscribe to NetFlix you can look up "Best of Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In" and rent one of the dvd discs.

20. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Do these discs look any different from the versions airing on Amazon prime?