1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Time/Life Press Release: Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In: The Complete Series

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, May 9, 2017.

1. MartinP.

MartinP. Second Unit

Martin
    [​IMG]
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
    Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In!

The series premiered 50 years ago today, Monday, January 22, 1968.

GARY OWENS:
    "What you are about to see...is true."

THE WORD "FALSE" FLASHES ON SCREEN.

nobajoba, likewow and Tony Bensley like this.
  2. likewow

likewow Agent

Kyle
    That's a nice looking booklet, thanks for the photo! Is that from the complete series box?

3. MartinP.

MartinP. Second Unit

Martin
    ^^^

It is indeed.

Yesterday the Decades channel saluted the 50th Anniversary in the lead segment in their daily "Decades" documentary program and also, in addition to their regular schedule, airing the first three episodes to start off the day.

likewow likes this.
  4. MartinP.

MartinP. Second Unit

Martin
    likewow likes this.
  5. nobajoba

nobajoba Agent

Todd
    MartinP. likes this.
  6. MartinP.

MartinP. Second Unit

Martin

I bought this Special Time Edition: 1968 The Year That Shaped a Generation.

FYI: Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In is referenced in several sections.The publication is divided in three parts. In Part 1: Listen Up! they have two pages of 'Unforgettable Quotes from an eventful year.' Included is: "Sock it to me?" Richard Nixon, appearing on Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In.

In Part 2, the section about the Presidential Campaign in the fall includes remarks about Nixon's appearance on Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In.

Part 3, Culture 1968, begins with Goldie Hawn in a green bikini lying across the two-page spread with the "Mod Mod World" topics painted on her body.

In the Television section it begins with two pages spotlighting Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In. There are three color photos. Dan Rowan & Dick Martin are featured in a 3/4 page photo of themselves.

There is a (mostly) head shot photo of Ruth Buzzi as her character Gladys Ormphby.

The third is an angled photo of the joke wall. Shown in the photo are Alan Sues and Lily Tomlin. Teresa Graves is seen and Goldie Hawn is holding some script pages and is looking down at someone off screen. (You can't see her face, but it's her.) Dick Martin is in profile. Jo Anne Worley is doing needlepoint. (?) On the bottom right corner are Henry Gibson and Jack Benny.

likewow likes this.
  7. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Someone please tell me this isn't true (found on another forum):

So, did they screw up the encode, and destroy the original video look (and reduce the horizontal resolution)?

8. MartinP.

MartinP. Second Unit

Martin
    I see that what you quoted is an Amazon post from someone. This person says they only got Season 1 and compared Episode 3 with the same Episode on the Rhino release.

My first question would be is it possible the look of the Season 1 single release would be any different from the Time Life Series Set?

I looked at both the Time Life and Rhino episode and let's just say that, since I have no expertise with deciphering all the tech-speak, I don't think the Time Life episode looks any different than the Rhino episode.

The person also wrote: "I am probably going out on a limb here as I'm not sure I've seen another review highlighting the deficiency of these complete series DVD encodes."

So...?

By the way, on Amazon it doesn't look like Season 1 is available. Are they not selling it any more. It wouldn't be out of print already, would it?

Curious.

9. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
  10. Message #190 of 309 Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    nobajoba

nobajoba Agent

Todd
    My two cents from a completely amateur video tech perspective.. the "average" viewers perspective on image quality- The TL release is excellent but it does have more of a filmed look to it for a show that was mostly video taped. The Rhino releases didn't have this same look. I own both the complete series from TL and the Rhino "Best Of" sets. They are both great image wise to my untrained eye but I can tell a bit of a difference. Is this what some viewers complained of on the All In The Family Season Seven dvd from Shout? I owned that one as well and it was much more distracting and had a grainy look to it. I do not think that TL Laugh In is as bad as the AITF but....help an amateur out, is that what is being discussed regarding image?

11. AndyMcKinney

What's being discussed is whether or not the Time-Life releases (complete, season-by-season or both) for Laugh-In look like a shot-on-tape show (as it should, and as it did on its original run, TrioTV reruns, and the Rhino/Shout DVDs), or has the frame-rate been changed to where it has lost that "Live, soap-opera" quality and now appears to have a more jerky, film-like look.

12. nobajoba

nobajoba Agent

Todd
    I would agree it has a more film-like look to it. But it doesn't bother me as much as others. I'm just glad to own the whole series on dvd :)

13. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
  14. MartinP.

MartinP. Second Unit

Martin
    The original person who was quoted (from an Amazon post) said he compared an episode from the Rhino set with one from the Time-Life set. I did the same thing with the same episode. I also compared it to the Trio broadcast of the same episode. (I haven't discarded those vhs tapes yet.) I just don't see any difference. So where does that leave us?

That poster questions it and seems to feel it was done incorrectly. Was it? Or was it purposely done that way for reasons we don't know? Or was it even done incorrectly? That original poster keeps asking if others notice anything as though he's not sure? I happened to see another article about these kinds of things that talks about particular transfers where certain things won't matter, unless you're viewing them on various computers. Then there's a problem. I know that my Guthy-Renker releases, which no one has discussed in terms of this subject, look noticeably different, in a negative way, on the computer than they do on the television screen.

I read dozens of reviews of the Time-Life set when it was coming out last summer and not a one of them that talked about the technical aspects of the DVD's mentioned this. Just because one person posts something on the internet, as we all should know, doesn't mean it is accurate.

likewow likes this.
  15. MartinP.

MartinP. Second Unit

Martin

^^^

And Season 4 is up for Pre-Order on Amazon:
    This title will be released on May 8, 2018.

$39.95 at the moment.

16. AndyMcKinney

The person I quoted wasn't an Amazon review, he was a member of Roobarb's forum, and as descriptive as his post is, I trust that he can tell the difference in "fluid video look" and "film-like look".

I don't have the Rhino tapes (or the new T-L sets), but I do have Trio tapes, and they have the traditional "video" look. I guess my question to you is (and I mean no disrespect), can you distinguish between the smooth ("live") motion of video and the 'jerky' motion of film?

I can't believe Time-Life would've done that on purpose, or they'd have done the same to Carol Burnett. If this really did happen, it sounds like an encoding error (and a pretty stupid one).

And just because multiple people didn't pick up on something (or take the time to write it) doesn't mean it didn't happen, either.

I was hoping there'd be some long-time fans on here who would have noticed (and pointed it out) way before now.

Nobajoba above seems to agree that the new DVDs have taken on a filmised look (rather than the original video). If this is the case, it is, unfortunately, a huge deal-breaker for me.

likewow likes this.
  17. MartinP.

MartinP. Second Unit

Martin
    I pasted your original quote in the Google Search and it brought up the Amazon post with the same paragraph, so perhaps the Roobarb poster also wrote the Amazon post. It's also several paragraphs longer. And illustrated.

Since I have no expertise in this area, my opinions aren't as informed as those who are and if you find out any definitive answer to the queries I'm sure your responses would be appreciated.

Since I've watched nearly all of the Time-Life series release and have been perfectly happy with it, I don't really have any interest in looking for something to be annoyed about it on hindsight when it comes right down to it.

likewow likes this.
  18. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Has anyone mentioned this is now on Amazon Prime video for those that have it and want to see what the show is?

MartinP. and Bryan^H like this.
  19. nobajoba

nobajoba Agent

Todd
    Andy McKinney-DON'T let this be a deal breaker for you. The difference is only barely subtle IMO. As Martin P put it

"Since I've watched nearly all of the Time-Life series release and have been perfectly happy with it, I don't really have any interest in looking for something to be annoyed about it on hindsight when it comes right down to it."

I completely agree with that sentiment. I wasn't complaining, just taking a look. And it is waaaay sublte.

MartinP. and likewow like this.
  20. AndyMcKinney

I'm very sensitive to video that has been fiddled about with/badly encoded. If this is on Prime, I can take a look at it there, but I suspect I'm not going to like how this looks.