1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Time/Life Press Release: I Got You Babe: The Best of Sonny & Cher

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]
    JOIN TIME LIFE FOR A WILD RIDE THROUGH THE
    SPECTACULAR '70s WITH TV's MOST COLORFUL COUPLE
    FOR HOURS OF GOOFY, GLITTERY AND WHOLESOME FUN -
    FOR THE FIRST TIME AVAILABLE AT RETAIL!

I GOT YOU BABE: THE BEST OF SONNY & CHER

The Hilarious Beat Goes on with This Nostalgia-Filled 5-Disc Collector's Set, Available on February 11, 2020 and Packed with Never-Before-Released Episodes of The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour, Incredible Guest Stars and Exclusive Extras Including a Brand-New Interview with Cher Herself!
    Episodes of The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour Will Also Be Available,
    Day & Date, on Leading Digital Platforms for the Very First Time!

Fairfax, VA (January 6, 2020) -- When Salvatore "Sonny" Bono and Cherilyn "Cher" Sarkisian came together it was undeniably magical. America first knew them as the duo behind the classic hit "I Got You Babe," and their popularity exploded with the '70s smash variety show The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour. The perfect match on stage and off, millions of fans tuned in each week to watch the sparks fly and see what Cher was (or wasn't!) wearing and the show quickly became essential viewing. Now, this February, the TV DVD archivists at Time Life open wide the Classic TV vaults for a very special collection of one of the '70s hippest, goofiest and most fondly remembered TV variety programs with I GOT YOU BABE: THE BEST OF SONNY & CHER.
    After finding chart-topping success in the late 60s, Sonny and Cher found themselves performing in nightclubs in 1970 when they were "discovered" by CBS entertainment chief Fred Silverman, who decided they had great potential for a weekly variety series. The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hourpremiered on August 1, 1971 as a summer replacement, but quickly reached the top 20, becoming a Wednesday night draw for the Network and cementing Sonny and Cher as one of Hollywood's most beloved couples.
    Containing 10 hilarious, never-before-released episodes of The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour (1971-74), which feature the musical duo performing their hit songs and side-splitting sketches with must-see guest stars, I GOT YOU BABE brings home audiences back to the beginning with the pilot episode, firsts of many classic sketches -- just naughty enough for nighttime! - Cher's incredible Bob Mackie-designed costumes and the chemistry that started it all. Also, tune in for an incredible line-up of guest stars including Dick Clark, Jerry Lewis, Jim Nabors, Joe Namath, The Righteous Brothers, Dinah Shore, Carroll O'Connor, Art Carney, Chuck Berry, The Supremes and many more!
    I GOT YOU BABE: THE BEST OF SONNY & CHER also features exclusive extras including:
    • Sonny & Cher's pilot, an appearance on The Barbara McNair Show (Original Air Date: February 15, 1970)
    • Jerry Blavat's 1970 interview of the duo on "Jerry's Place" featuring an impromptu performance of "I Got You Babe"
    • Interviews with Frankie Avalon, producers Allan Blye and Chris Bearde, and Cher herself!
    Day and date, Time Life will also bring The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour to leading digital platforms for the very first time! Available for download on Amazon, iTunes, and Google Play will be 10 hand-picked episodes of the fan-favorite TV Variety show, assuring that the fondly-remembered series lives on for a new generation of classic TV lovers.
    About Time Life
    Time Life is one of the world's pre-eminent creators and direct marketers of unique music and video/DVD products, specializing in distinctive multi-media collections that evoke memories of yesterday, capture the spirit of today, and can be enjoyed for a lifetime. TIME LIFE and the TIME LIFE logo are registered trademarks of Time Warner Inc. and affiliated companies used under license by Direct Holdings Americas Inc., which is not affiliated with Time Warner Inc. or Time Inc.
    # # #
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dawnshadow

dawnshadow Stunt Coordinator

Dawn
    “Volume 1” seems to be mentioned on the box and discs quite a bit.

3. cherisland

cherisland Stunt Coordinator

Todd
    Hasn't this already been released by Time-Life? It was a 2 volume set which I purchased and it lists the guest stars and bonus features mentioned in this release. I would be thrilled if they were releasing a new "3rd" volume of episodes, but this doesn't appear to be so. Some-one please correct me if I am wrong.

4. mrz7

mrz7 Second Unit

Scott Zuncic
    No....this is the same release without the bonus 2nd volume that contain Cher's solo shows and the 2nd reincarnation of Sonny and Cher Shows (after their divorce). This is the retail release of Volume 1. I hope Time Life is planning to release volume 2 as a retail release as well, cause I have not bought the initial release from Time Life. The price for Volume 1 is so much more reasonable....currently around $28.00 on Amazon.

5. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Yep. These are the same hacked up episodes that have already been released.

6. GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    Brian, do you recommend against purchasing this? I have a casual interest, as in it would be nostalgic and fun to see a few Sonny and Cher episodes for old times' sake. I've purchased a lot of the Carol Burnett sets and don't mind the music edits because I'm mostly interested in the comedy sketches. But for Sonny and Cher I would want the music as well. The price for this volume 1 set is reasonable, but it sounds like the music has been brutally cut from these episodes for the Time-Life release? In which case it wouldn't be as pleasant a trip down memory lane. Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

7. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Every episode in this set has been edited. Some are severely cut while others are more mild. There are only two episodes that have Cher's solo songs. All of her other solos have been cut. Some are missing the concert segments while others have one of the two songs (if they are done in a medley) in the concert with the second song cut. Both of the episodes celebrating the 60s have the entire concert segment cut with only the beginning with Sonny & Cher and the end with the guest stars. All of the guest star spots in those concert segments are cut. There are little cuts throughout several of the episodes. Just about anywhere that there is singing (with the exception of guest star spots, the opening song and closing song) is cut. There are even small cuts to some of the Vamp sketches due to singing. The running times vary from episode to episode. The original 51+ minute episodes are cut to anywhere between 39+ minutes to 45+ minutes. Most come in between 41-44 minutes.

In my opinion, the shows have been too gutted to be of any value. It's kind of like you get highlights of these episodes instead of the genuine episodes. Granted, most people won't notice some of the smaller cuts, but the missing Cher solo's really do stick out. Several of the edits are very choppy and noticeable. I am a huge Sonny & Cher fan and I was very disappointed in this set to the point of being angry. It seems like very little thought or planning went into this set. Let alone any kind of real budget to clear more of the music. The whole thing comes across to me as just a quick money grab and forget the quality. It was a real missed opportunity. The original R2 Entertainment set that is now long out of print is a much better set but again, there are some edits to that set as well but of the nine episodes they released, only 3 were edited. The Christmas DVD R2 Entertainment released, all three of the episodes were edited and a couple rather severely. I do not recommend the Time Life set at all. For me it was a major let down.

8. GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    Brian, thank you so much, I really appreciate your thoughts.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  9. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Yikes. I was strongly considering buying the set until I read this. Thank you.
    Very unfortunate that some shows are just lost to time, and will most likely never be seen in their intended original form again.

Tony Bensley likes this.