1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Time Life and The Three Stooges?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by [email protected], May 10, 2018.

1. williampl7@aol.com

[email protected] Stunt Coordinator

Received this email from Time Life, but can't find anymore information.

2. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Unless Sony has mysteriously licensed out The Three Stooges entire Columbia shorts catalogue, AND Time Life is releasing them all to Blu-ray, I don't think I'm interested.

CHEERS! :)

BobO'Link and dana martin like this.
  3. williampl7@aol.com

Does Time Life even sale Blu-rays?

4. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    That was my other thought! I don't know of any Time Life Blu-ray titles.

Could that video clip be an old advance promo of some DVD compilation, perhaps?

5. Robbie^Blackmon

Robbie^Blackmon Stunt Coordinator

6. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I already have all 190 of the Stooges 1934-59 shorts (Plus the 3 animated shorts, and 28 solos!), and the listed 1941-65 features, with the latter on Blu-ray. The rest aren't an immediate must for me.

7. rmw650

rmw650 Stunt Coordinator

Richard W
    This has already been released a few years ago in multiple of ways, so why TL is doing this if only for a quick buck is beyond my comprehension and they're also overpricing this collection to boot. Besides, I have the other megaset along with the extras and such so I'm good for now. Just waiting the Sid Caesar YSOS DVD set to come out in August.

8. RBailey

RBailey Second Unit

John Hall
    ...and STILL no "Three Stooges In Orbit"!

Tony Bensley likes this.
  9. williampl7@aol.com

As of this moment, Amazon is selling the original Ultimate Collection for around $65

10. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Nothing about this release makes any sense! :blink:

ChrisALM likes this.
  11. Message #11 of 15 May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    The Ultimate Collection for $65 is what I'd recommend to those who don't have any Three Stooges titles. Add to that the two Triple Feature Blu-ray Volumes, and you have everything that's in the Time Life DVD set, except the 1960s cartoon series, the documentary series, the biopic from 2000, and the booklet.

P.S. The continued exclusion of THE THREE STOOGES IN ORBIT (1962) from these sets is a growing irritation for me. I realize that Sony is obviously not including this Columbia title in their sub-licensing arrangements, but why not? It's not as though they've done anything with it themselves since its '00s DVD release!

RBailey likes this.
  12. Message #11 of 15 May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Stunt Coordinator

Arthur
    The specifications mention the presence of seven feature films. I'm assuming that means the six features previously released on blu-ray by Mill Creek along with one other feature. So, unless the seventh feature is "The Captain Hates the Sea," it would seem likely that "The Three Stooges in Orbit" is being included in this collection.

As for this particular collection, I think Time-Life is hoping that there is a sizable number of Stooge fans who are completely ignorant of the earlier and significantly cheaper DVD releases and are willing to buy on impulse. Don't be surprised to see some Stooge-related late night infomercials.

Edit: Just noticed that the seventh feature is that mediocre and inaccurate 2000 biopic. The absence of ORBIT is odd. In my opinion, it's the best feature of the Curly-Joe era.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  13. Message #12 of 15 May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    There's absolutely no reason for this release to exist.

The 7 films in the TL set are:
    The Three Stooges (2000, biopic)
    Have Rocket, Will Travel
    The Outlaws Is Coming
    Rockin’ in the Rockies
    Three Stooges Go Around The World In A Daze
    The Three Stooges Meet Hercules
    Time Out for Rhythm

It's nothing but what's already been released by Sony with that "Hey Moe! Hey Dad!" documentary added for good measure. You can pick up everything in that set, well... maybe not including the "Memory Book," which looks to be the episode list, timeline, and booklet from the "Hey Moe! Hey Dad!" release combined into a single volume, and maybe not the cartoons, but those are not that good, for under $100.

"Hey Moe! Hey Dad!" is currently ~$10 from Amazon (less from a couple of MP vendors). I recommend it, especially at that price.

ChrisALM and Tony Bensley like this.
  14. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    The more I think of it, it's too bad Sony didn't license the Three Stooges shorts, plus the solos and theatrical cartoons, to Mill Creek instead, as at least the likelihood of an eventual Blu-ray release would have been greater than with Time Life.

For what's already widely available on DVD elsewhere, this Time Life DVD release seems like such a dead end. What a shame! :(

15. rmw650

rmw650 Stunt Coordinator

Richard W
    Tony, you know as well I do this is nothing more than a cheap money grab by Time-Life and what are they going to do with this set anyways, especially when it comes to the way they releases stuff onto the retail markets? Just look at the hee haw and Carol Burnett sets as perfect examples of how to screw up a quality release and they did this with the Dean martin and Red Skelton shows as well. No reason for this to even be released when one can still get a hold of the ultimate box set and extras. Totally passing on this!!

Tony Bensley likes this.
  16. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    The thing is, how much can Time Life even expect to make from this set considering they don't have exclusives on any of the content, all of which is widely available elsewhere in other DVD sets, and they don't do Blu-ray releases?

My bigger question is did Sony even offer Mill Creek first dibs on sub-licensing? If not, in my opinion Sony SHOULD have!

Yes, I am on a bit of a rant fest! This Time Life release gets my unofficial "Most Pointless, Utterly Redundant Release Of 2018" nomination, and the year ain't even half over! In my opinion, Time Life should stick to releasing low resolution video content, which is a better fit for their DVD only releases.

End of rant!

Randy Korstick and RBailey like this.