Time for translucent network "bugs"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ray Chuang, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Folks,

I believe this has been discussed before, but I think the various broadcast and cable networks are frequently just overdoing it in term of the bugs used to identify the channel.

Among the worst offenders are Sci-Fi Channel (the logo is just too bright), Disney Channel (the logo is too big), and History Channel (the colored logo is too big and is very distracting to watch).

I believe it's time we should ask the FCC to rein in network bugs being used. The FCC should require all stations to have bug not exceed a certain size on-screen and also require the "bug" to be translucent in design. One thing I like about the network bugs used by ABC, CBS and NBC is the fact they're reasonably unobtrustive but still identify the network easily.

Comments?

2. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Just watched U-571 last night on USA, and after every commercial they had a little graphic advertising some other show. At least twice, that little graphic (not transparent) got in the way of the subtitles! [​IMG]

3. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

How big a following does that logo free tv site have? Maby it's time they started an FCC call in Campaign and Network clal in campaign for the ones that have the most obtrusive bugs. TNN, anyone?

And be sure to point out that any burn in damage the network should pay for. Pretty easy to identify and prove if you see you're station logo on the screen when the TV is off..

Either that, or make sure to have the logos on during the commercials as well. If it's so important to have them on the shows, why not brand the commercials as well..

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

If the FCC was doing its job, they would set something under "technical requirements" that limited any continuous onscreen logos or other garbage- my personal rule is if I'm attempting to watch something on TV and the 'bug' stays on for more than 30 seconds, it doesn't get watched. Simple as that.
    Might possibly interfere with freedom of speech, but makes a lot more sense than the so-called "indecency" laws they have. Besides, they still say that "the airwaves belong to the public", when nothing could be further from the truth (if they do, why can't I get my own TV station?)
    And again I'll say, remember when the worst thing they would do to a show was put voiceovers on during the end credits?

5. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Jesse has the right idea. TNN and now Trio have the worst bugs! Trio even 'squishes' long shots which makes faces and bodies look shorter!

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

So does TNN.

7. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

Everything said about TNN is right on. I have lost track of the number of emails I have sent to their feedback area. Not once have I received a reply. Not even a canned one! I thought we could email their advertisers until I emailed our local WB affiliate. WTXX picks up the broadcasts of 14 UCONN Huskies hoop games from ESPN Plus. Their white WB20 logo is nearly solid and positioned poorly. I emailed them to point this out and here is their reply:

8. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

I was watching a documentary on Discovery Civilization, and whenever there was a subtitled translation, I couldn't read the rightmost couple of words because they ran under the bug. That's ridiculous! Now the bug is obscuring infomation integral to understanding what's going on.

9. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I hate the new Sci-fi logo! It's so distracting to have this enormous glowing thing in the corner.. it was the main reason I didn't watch "Taken".

I just don't see the purpose of bugs anyway. The only people who might benefit from it are travellers who maybe don't know the channels in the city they are travelling in. Other than that, you're average J6P could care less what channel he/she is watching... just as long as the content interests him/her.

I just watched 'Moonstruck' on TCM the other night and it was in WIDESCREEN, commercial free, and bug free! God bless TCM!

10. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I think the bugs should go, but if they have to be there, they should be small, transparent, and put up for 30 seconds every ten minutes..

I'd NEVER watch Trio or TNN or Oxygen with that annoying garbage dancing around on the screen.

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

tnn kills me!

it's not bad enough they cut off the bottom...

what's the deal they were doing for a while were the whole bottom part would get all "glittery". i think it was a promo for the show "csi"...but can't remember now.

all i know is that was excessive to the extreme.

12. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

13. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Speilberg allowed his show on with a bug? NBC and Fox had to turn theirs off when they showed the Jurassic Park movies, though I saw that ABC had it on for Saving Ryan's Privates.
    I would rather watch color bars than a 'bugged show; how about putting the seven dirty words at the bottom of the screen through the whole show? [​IMG]