Time for some feedback - New guy with HT pictures

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stan_K, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Stan_K

Stan_K Auditioning

Hello all!
    I've just recently put up a simple Web Page with pictures of my Home Theatre in progress. I have been doing the work myself for a few months now and I think it's coming out OK. As I progress further into HT madness I will be upgrading some equipment so I hope to get some suggestions from you folks on decent 7.1 receivers etc. As for the moment I have the following newbie questions?
    1. Would using ceiling acoustical tiles covered in coloured burlap provide any sound absorbtion?
    This would be a cheap alternative for the time being.
    2. IN my room 2 walls are exterior and 2 walls face into the house. I will Double drywall the 2 walls into the house but dont feel I need to double up on the walls facing outside. Will I notice any fluctuations in sound because of this. Would placing the second layer on the other side be a better idea?
    Thanks for your input.
    My HT -The Holodeck [​IMG]

2. WilliamM

WilliamM Stunt Coordinator

Looks excellent. I am always impressed by the DIY people. I look forward to seeing more pics in the future.[​IMG]

3. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Great job so far! I bet that ceiling is going to look fantastic once you get everything painted.

For your 7.1 speaker setup, have you considered mounting locations, in-wall speakers, etc? I've always heard its easier to do when building than after.

4. Stan_K

Stan_K Auditioning

Thanks Guys!
    Yes I have considered there location. If you look at the construction pages on my web site you will see 2 electrical boxes in the back 45. THey will be facing down into the audience. I will have two rows of seating second row elevated 10". If I aim down into the middle I should get a decent impact. The side surrounds will be in columns approximately in the middle of the 2 rows about 2 feet above the audience. Does this sound OK?
    THanks in advance. [​IMG]

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Sheesh, I am envious of you guys with your big empty basements. My construction starts in a week and I have all kinds of obstacles (support poles, air vents, well pump.. )

Nice work, Stan! I like the angled ceiling thingys (I'm sure there's an architechtural term for them). Keep us posted with the progress.

6. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    The link doesnt work...[​IMG]

7. Stan_K

Stan_K Auditioning

Sorry Jens I guess I exceeded my connection limit.

Please try back in an hour if you can, free WebPages you get what you pay for I guess.

:b